Oil change frequency for highway mileage?

Old July 16th 05, 06:30 PM

Default Oil change frequency for highway mileage?

Hello. I own a 2003 Accord 4-cyl and wondering what, if any
difference, having mostly highway mileage on my car does to the
frequency needed for my oil change? The manual recommends every 5,000
miles/6 months. Does the fact that at least 75% of my mileage comes
from non-stop interstate highway travel at speeds of 70 mph help or
hurt me in terms of oil change frequency? Of course, with the long
commute every day, I get to 5,000 miles before 6 months, and thus not
only do I spend a ton in gas, but it seems I have to get my oil changed
every 4 months or so, which costs more money. Any thoughts and input
are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Amp

Old July 16th 05, 07:00 PM
Professor

I like the number 3000...

Professor
Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 16th 05, 08:37 PM
Elle

> wrote
> Hello. I own a 2003 Accord 4-cyl and wondering what, if any
> difference, having mostly highway mileage on my car does to the
> frequency needed for my oil change? The manual recommends every 5,000
> miles/6 months.

Can you double check this? My 91 Civic has an interval of 7500 miles/6
months, for non-severe driving (see below).

> Does the fact that at least 75% of my mileage comes
> from non-stop interstate highway travel at speeds of 70 mph help or
> hurt me in terms of oil change frequency?

I would wager it should help you.

My Honda owner's manual includes, under "severe driving conditions" that
warrant more frequent oil changes, "repeated short distance driving." For
such driving (along with dusty and/or cold conditions?), the manual
recommends changing every 3000 miles or 3 months. Does your manual say
anything like this?

Consumer Reports did an interesting, albeit arguably amateurish, study of
motor oils in New York City taxicabs in 1996. Some folks here loathe
consumer reports and criticize the study; yet what they recommend is
generally the same as what CR ended up recommending!

See the article at http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm .

Excerpts:
-------
The long-time mantra of auto mechanics has been to change your oil every
3000 miles. Most automakers recommend an oil change every 7,500 miles (and a
specific time interval) for "normal" driving, and every 3,000 miles for
"severe" driving - frequent trips of less than four or five miles,
stop-and-go traffic, extended idling, towing a trailer, or dusty or
extremely cold conditions. Many motorists' driving falls into one or more of
those "severe" categories.
The bottom line. Modern motor oils needn't be changed as often as oils did
years ago. More frequent oil changes won't hurt your car, but you could be
spending money unnecessarily and adding to the nation's energy and
oil-disposal problems.

Even in the severe driving conditions that a New York City taxi endures, we
noted no benefit from changing the oil every 3,000 miles rather than every
6,000. If your driving falls into the "normal" service category, changing
the oil every 7,500 miles (or at the automaker's suggested intervals) should
certainly provide adequate protection. (We recommend changing the oil filter
with each oil change.)
----------

> Of course, with the long
> commute every day, I get to 5,000 miles before 6 months, and thus not
> only do I spend a ton in gas, but it seems I have to get my oil changed
> every 4 months or so, which costs more money. Any thoughts and input
> are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Keep reading the posts to this thread. The only comment I reject outright at
the moment is the one that says change the oil every 3000 miles.

Old July 17th 05, 05:44 AM
slim

> Hello. I own a 2003 Accord 4-cyl and wondering what, if any
> difference, having mostly highway mileage on my car does to the
> frequency needed for my oil change? The manual recommends every 5,000
> miles/6 months. Does the fact that at least 75% of my mileage comes
> from non-stop interstate highway travel at speeds of 70 mph help or
> hurt me in terms of oil change frequency? Of course, with the long
> commute every day, I get to 5,000 miles before 6 months, and thus not
> only do I spend a ton in gas, but it seems I have to get my oil changed
> every 4 months or so, which costs more money. Any thoughts and input
> are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How long do you want to keep the car?

2-3 years? Change when you feel like it.

5+ years? Change every 5000 miles.

Christ, an oil change is ONLY $25.
OK not if you want to be raped at the DEALER for $69.

Why be cheap about it?

--------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/i...now-usat_x.htm

"Other top officials, including Cheney and Rumsfeld, said the war would
last
"weeks, not months.""

http://www.natcath.com/NCR_Online/ar...05/052705w.php

"More than two years into a war that was supposed to be quick and easy,
and
the justification for which has spun from removing a dictator to
eliminating
weapons of mass destruction to fighting terrorism and, finally, to
planting
democracy that would then spread across the Middle East, Iraq is in chaos."

RayGun sends his lackey to kiss Saddam's ass.
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.quantumphilosophy.net/fil...yan_Medium.mov
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.co...ickenhawks.htm

"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
Old July 17th 05, 06:37 AM

> Hello. I own a 2003 Accord 4-cyl and wondering what, if any
> difference, having mostly highway mileage on my car does to the
> frequency needed for my oil change? The manual recommends every 5,000
> miles/6 months. Does the fact that at least 75% of my mileage comes
> from non-stop interstate highway travel at speeds of 70 mph help or
> hurt me in terms of oil change frequency? Of course, with the long
> commute every day, I get to 5,000 miles before 6 months, and thus not
> only do I spend a ton in gas, but it seems I have to get my oil changed
> every 4 months or so, which costs more money. Any thoughts and input
> are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Amp

You are looking at the severe service schedule (5000).

You are not driving in severe conditions. You can go 10,000 miles.
Check your manual to confirm, but that is what the 2004 manual says,
and it is the same engine.

I wouldn't do this on 5W20 oil, regardless of Honda's recommendation,
if you are in a warm climate. In this event, I'd go with 10W30 as it
will resist breaking down better. Or go with synthetic if in a cold
climate and you want 200,000+ miles from this engine. Remember, you
can do almost anything to a car for 50,000 miles. It's the next guy
that'll have problems, or you if you keep the car a long time.

If you want to push the oil for all it's worth, I agree with another
poster that oil analysis is necessary. Otherwise, you are guessing.
Analysis will occasionally reveal some engine problem while you're
still in warranty, an added bonus.

Bad Gas Mileage with 2005 330i BMW with Performance Package Kent Lewis BMW 26 December 10th 04 07:14 PM
Oil change John Sloan Saturn 11 June 22nd 04 01:51 PM
Alfa 147 2.0 Low Mileage Servicing Steve Lupton Alfa Romeo 5 June 17th 04 01:53 PM
THIS ADD CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE jaman General 0 May 30th 04 07:05 PM