Starter...

Old October 12th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Lenny D.

Default Starter...

OK, I I think have to replace my solonoid....(very intermittant no-crank
situation - turn key to start, idiot lights dim *slightly*). I replaced the
ignition switch a couple years ago, no change. Mind you, this only happens
extremely infrequently (like once a year?). So I suspect the solonoid now.
Question: Since I have to remove the starter to replace the solonoid, do I
just replace that component of my original (36 yo) German starter motor, or
replace the whole thing with a Mexi/Braz. whatever on the market today? I
have no complaints about the function of the motor itself.

(Ain't been 'round these parts in ages!!)

--
Lenny D.

Old October 12th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

If the windings/ brushes and commutator on the starter are fine then you
only need to replace the solenoid.
You can remove and dismantle the solenoid and clean contacts/lubricate and
reassemble if you dont mind a fiddle.
Personally I find it therapeutic.
Two large screws hold the thing together, you will probably need a impact
screwdriver
to get those screws out. Then unsolder wires that come from INSIDE the
solenoid and connect to
the spade terminals. It will then come to bits. Clean contacts etc
reassemble etc etc and you should be right.
If the large contacts that supply current to starter are obviously past it
get a new solenoid, parts are not available. Last one I did was on the
daughters car.
A bug ( of the multi legged kind) had decided the space between the big
copper pads was a great place for a rest. Last rest he had.
Darned if I know where it got in.
Cheers
John

Old October 12th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article > "Lenny
> wrote:
> OK, I I think have to replace my solonoid....(very intermittant
> no-crank situation - turn key to start, idiot lights dim *slightly*).
> I replaced the ignition switch a couple years ago, no change. Mind
> you, this only happens extremely infrequently (like once a year?). So
> I suspect the solonoid now. Question: Since I have to remove the
> starter to replace the solonoid, do I just replace that component of
> my original (36 yo) German starter motor, or replace the whole thing
> with a Mexi/Braz. whatever on the market today? I have no complaints
> about the function of the motor itself.

> (Ain't been 'round these parts in ages!!)

I would suspect the wireing befores the solenoid.

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Old October 19th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bugger

John,
How did you get your solenoid apart? I am converting from 6 to 12 volt
and tried putting the 12 volt solenoid on the 6 volt starter as recommended
on some web sites. The two solenoids look the same on the outside but the
12 volt starter and solenoid have a longer stroke than the 6 volt solenoid.
The contacts don't make up when you put the 12 volt solenoid on the 6 volt
starter. So I would like to take the solenoid apart to see what the
difference is.

Thanks,
Dave

Old October 23rd 07, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
"Lenny D." > wrote:

> OK, I I think have to replace my solonoid....(very intermittant no-crank
> situation - turn key to start, idiot lights dim *slightly*). I replaced the
> ignition switch a couple years ago, no change. Mind you, this only happens
> extremely infrequently (like once a year?). So I suspect the solonoid now.
> Question: Since I have to remove the starter to replace the solonoid, do I
> just replace that component of my original (36 yo) German starter motor, or
> replace the whole thing with a Mexi/Braz. whatever on the market today? I
> have no complaints about the function of the motor itself.
>
> (Ain't been 'round these parts in ages!!)

I always add another solenoid to fire the original one on the starter.
that way more volts go to the little slip on post on it.
works great!

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old October 29th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article <TxSRi.161265$Fc.76997@attbi_s21>
> wrote:

Dont really see the point in that. A solenoid is just a big relay. If
it works with 6 volts, it will do marvelous with 12 volts. No
diference in wearness. The starter is another story. It will spin
twice as fast... last half the time.

MM

Old October 29th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Macsoft

In article
>A Veteran
> wrote:
> In article >,
> "Lenny D." > wrote:
>> OK, I I think have to replace my solonoid....(very intermittant
>> no-crank situation - turn key to start, idiot lights dim
>> *slightly*). I replaced the ignition switch a couple years ago, no
>> change. Mind you, this only happens extremely infrequently (like
>> once a year?). So I suspect the solonoid now. Question: Since I have
>> to remove the starter to replace the solonoid, do I just replace
>> that component of my original (36 yo) German starter motor, or
>> replace the whole thing with a Mexi/Braz. whatever on the market
>> today? I have no complaints about the function of the motor itself.
>>
>> (Ain't been 'round these parts in ages!!)

> I always add another solenoid to fire the original one on the
> starter.that way more volts go to the little slip on post on it.
> works great!

Yap, me too. A realy to start the solenoid, shortening the cable
distance, ense less power loss on the currents path.

Old October 29th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article >,
Macsoft > wrote:

> In article
> >A Veteran
> > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Lenny D." > wrote:
> >> OK, I I think have to replace my solonoid....(very intermittant
> >> no-crank situation - turn key to start, idiot lights dim
> >> *slightly*). I replaced the ignition switch a couple years ago, no
> >> change. Mind you, this only happens extremely infrequently (like
> >> once a year?). So I suspect the solonoid now. Question: Since I have
> >> to remove the starter to replace the solonoid, do I just replace
> >> that component of my original (36 yo) German starter motor, or
> >> replace the whole thing with a Mexi/Braz. whatever on the market
> >> today? I have no complaints about the function of the motor itself.
> >>
> >> (Ain't been 'round these parts in ages!!)

> > I always add another solenoid to fire the original one on the
> > starter.that way more volts go to the little slip on post on it.
> > works great!

> Yap, me too. A realy to start the solenoid, shortening the cable
> distance, ense less power loss on the currents path.

yap, all our VW's . all 7

Starter Challenged Honda 0 January 16th 07 09:02 PM
Run on starter poorsoul Ford Explorer 3 June 18th 06 10:11 AM
Is starter going out? brett Honda 8 March 3rd 06 05:35 AM
90 yj starter Jason Halsey Jeep 2 June 18th 05 11:11 PM
92 T&C Starter Dan Chrysler 4 May 17th 05 11:44 AM