Fuel Pump Timer? Pump Location?

Old April 27th 06, 09:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Fuel Pump Timer? Pump Location?

> wrote in message
aside question,

not to interrupt the poster's original question, but I had to have a
fuel pump installed on a '93 6 cyl. 3.3 chrysler t-c minivan - twice.
600 bucks a pop.

and, another engine same kind, same year model, has never had any fuel
pump problems - why? just curious.

what can cause an electric fuel pump in the gas tank to fail?

mho
vfe

>double dog dare you, sound familiar?

>to reduce your driving by - 10%.

Other than contamination there is the added heat of excessive current when
the pump has to work against a partially clogged fuel filter. Constant
strain equals early failure.

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old May 3rd 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.ford.trucks,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

"Nehmo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I successfully changed the fuel pump on my 2001 Ford Ranger 3.0L 126"
> wheelbase, flex-fuel truck [1]. But I have some unanswered questions,
> and they'll plague me the rest of my life if they remain so.
>
> Is there a fuel pump timer? How does it work, and where is it?

Timer? There is no timer for the fuel pump.

> If indeed, the pump is cooled by fuel going *through* the pump, what's
> the advantage of placing the pump *in* the tank?

It's actually cooled by the fuel surrounding it. External pumps are cooled
by fuel going through, but internal pumps are cooled by fuel surrounding
them. Obviously there is a certain amount of cooling by the fuel passing
through, but the pump is submerged, and that's where the primary cooling is
accomplished.

> How come Ford has different pumps for different wheelbase trucks that
> are the same otherwise? How can the wheelbase, differing by a few
> inches, have anything to do with the pump?

That's a good question. I'd guess that the tank is different on different
wheelbase trucks, but that's only a guess.

Old May 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.ford.trucks,alt.ford.trucks,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos

Jeff Strickland -
> It's actually cooled by the fuel surrounding it. External pumps are cooled
> by fuel going through, but internal pumps are cooled by fuel surrounding
> them. Obviously there is a certain amount of cooling by the fuel passing
> through, but the pump is submerged, and that's where the primary cooling is
> accomplished.

I saw a diagram, which someone in one of these NGs posted, of a similar
fuel pump. It appeared the motor was in the center of a cylinder and
fuel driven by an impeller went around the motor as it went up through
the cylinder. Thus the *motor* is submerged in the path of the fuel.
Also, the pump I have, which is a little smaller than a toilet paper
tube, comes with a rubber quarter-inch-thick sleeve to cushion the
mounting clamp (maybe it quiets the pump too). If the designers
expected liquid coming in contact with the exterior of the pump to
collect heat, they would have at least made holes in the sleeve.
--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Old May 5th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

doesn't the fuel pump "run" according to need, like an ac thermostat,
if there is "no call" for fuel, it doesn't run??

mho
vテ

Old May 5th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
wrote:

> doesn't the fuel pump "run" according to need, like an ac thermostat,
> if there is "no call" for fuel, it doesn't run??
>
> mho
> vテ

No.
Old May 6th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>Less expensive to make a pump that >does not need to provide lift (
suction to >pull gas from the tank).

YEAH, you bet, until it comes time to replace it, then, the honeymoon
is over.:--)

AND, why does a tank pump run 150-200 bucks, plus a gouge for
installation, and a hang-on suck pump runs - quite a bit less?

mho
vテ

Old May 6th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>The "flex-fuel" - meaning can take either >methanol+gasoline mix or
straight gas, >part is indicated by the 8th character of >the VIN - V
for flex-fuel - U for only >straight gas.
===
AND, when a vin number has neither an "U OR "V" for the 8th character,
but a "X" - what does the "X" indicate?

mho
vテ

Old May 6th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>Other than contamination there is the >added heat of excessive current
when >the pump has to work against a partially >clogged fuel filter.
>Constant strain equals early failure.

====
10-4, I buy that, but that didn't seem to be the case - either time.
thanks for your comment, I'll watch it.

mho
vテ

Old May 7th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

In article >,
wrote:

<snip>
> and a hang-on suck pump runs - quite a bit less?
>
> mho
> vテ

How about an example of "quite a bit less?"
Old May 7th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

>How about an example of "quite a bit >less?"
====
you surely aren't serious?

camshaft driven pumps use to cost 10-15 dollars when they were in vogue,
probably don't make them anymore, electric pumps 40-50 dollars - tank
pumps today run 150-200 bucks,

but you must take into consideration that the - pumps and present day
fuel systems act synergistically, new design, requiring a different
configuration all together.

mho
vテ

Location of the fuel pump relay on an 86 bmw 325E [email protected] BMW 2 March 9th 06 09:21 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
Infiniti Q45 oil pan removal procedure Miki Technology 25 December 30th 04 01:07 AM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM
96 Lesabre fuel pump relay location? Richardsons General 0 January 11th 04 07:08 PM