Oil

Old November 7th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Oil

I grew up on 10-30 or 20-40. This is SoCal. No freezing, lots of heat.
Synth oil is nice, but expensive. The concept of 0-20 oil, although
the manufacturer suggests/demands it, is just alien. We never freeze,
we just have to worry about the oil thinning out when the ambient is
over 100F.

I assume I'm worrying needlessly now, but I'd like to know why.

--
Cheers, Bev
It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.
Old November 8th 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 1:48:52 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
> I grew up on 10-30 or 20-40. This is SoCal. No freezing, lots of heat.
> Synth oil is nice, but expensive. The concept of 0-20 oil, although
> the manufacturer suggests/demands it, is just alien. We never freeze,
> we just have to worry about the oil thinning out when the ambient is
> over 100F.
>
> I assume I'm worrying needlessly now, but I'd like to know why.
>
> --
> Cheers, Bev
> It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.

Today's motors have tighter tolerances and need thinner oils to keep things lubricated.
Old November 8th 17, 05:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

m6onz5a > wrote in
:

> On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 1:48:52 PM UTC-5, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I grew up on 10-30 or 20-40. This is SoCal. No freezing, lots of
>> heat.
>> Synth oil is nice, but expensive. The concept of 0-20 oil,
>> although
>> the manufacturer suggests/demands it, is just alien. We never
>> freeze, we just have to worry about the oil thinning out when the
>> ambient is over 100F.
>>
>> I assume I'm worrying needlessly now, but I'd like to know why.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Bev
>> It's 95% of the lawyers making the other 5% look bad.

> Today's motors have tighter tolerances and need thinner oils to keep
> things lubricated.

sorry but its strictly to meet gas milage specs. I wont use 0 anything
unless its dam cold out. or the very select few that need it to run special
valve timeing stuff that need a specific oil to function. KB
Old November 18th 17, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 2:48:52 AM UTC+8, The Real Bev wrote:
> I grew up on 10-30 or 20-40. This is SoCal. No freezing, lots of heat.
> Synth oil is nice, but expensive. The concept of 0-20 oil, although
> the manufacturer suggests/demands it, is just alien. We never freeze,
> we just have to worry about the oil thinning out when the ambient is
> over 100F.

I am more worried about the viscosity range: why do German "luxury/performace"
cars need 0W40 oils? That is expensive crap.
Old November 18th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

On 18/11/2017 12:33 PM, wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 2:48:52 AM UTC+8, The Real Bev wrote:
>> I grew up on 10-30 or 20-40. This is SoCal. No freezing, lots of heat.
>> Synth oil is nice, but expensive. The concept of 0-20 oil, although
>> the manufacturer suggests/demands it, is just alien. We never freeze,
>> we just have to worry about the oil thinning out when the ambient is
>> over 100F.
>>

> I am more worried about the viscosity range: why do German "luxury/performace"
> cars need 0W40 oils? That is expensive crap.

Extremely low friction requirements.

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/using-t...ht-engine-oil/

Higher viscosity oil (10W-60) delivers higher thermal stability where as
lower viscosity oil (5W-40) minimises fuel consumption and emissions by
reducing the energy required to circulate the oil. The correct viscosity
is specified by the manufacturer and is designed to optimise the
efficiency, performance and life of the engine.

For example;

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/product...me-plus-0w-30/

SYNTHOIL LONGTIME PLUS | 0W-30

Special development for VW, Audi, SEAT and SKODA petrol and diesel
vehicles with service interval extension (also pump jet engines).
The fully synthetic low-viscosity motor oil from the Longlife 2
generation keeps the engine perfectly clean. Exceeds the high Volkswagen
test requirements. Reduces fuel consumption in one of the toughest
consumption tests in Europe (CEC-L-54-T-96/ MB M 111) by more than 2.5%
as compared with the specified reference oil. Fast cold-start oiling
provides excellent engine wear protection during the start and warm-up
phase.

Intended use
All-year oil for petrol and diesel engines with and without pump-jet
technology. Specially developed for vehicles with service interval
extension (German abbreviation: WIV) from Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda.
Tested safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers.

--

Xeno
Old November 18th 17, 03:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Friday, November 17, 2017 at 8:35:38 PM UTC-6, Xeno wrote:
> On 18/11/2017 12:33 PM, wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 2:48:52 AM UTC+8, The Real Bev wrote:
> >> I grew up on 10-30 or 20-40. This is SoCal. No freezing, lots of heat.
> >> Synth oil is nice, but expensive. The concept of 0-20 oil, although
> >> the manufacturer suggests/demands it, is just alien. We never freeze,
> >> we just have to worry about the oil thinning out when the ambient is
> >> over 100F.
> >>

> > I am more worried about the viscosity range: why do German "luxury/performace"
> > cars need 0W40 oils? That is expensive crap.
> >

> Extremely low friction requirements.

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/using-t...ht-engine-oil/

> Higher viscosity oil (10W-60) delivers higher thermal stability where as
> lower viscosity oil (5W-40) minimises fuel consumption and emissions by
> reducing the energy required to circulate the oil. The correct viscosity
> is specified by the manufacturer and is designed to optimise the
> efficiency, performance and life of the engine.
>
> For example;
>
> http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/product...me-plus-0w-30/
>
> SYNTHOIL LONGTIME PLUS | 0W-30
>
> Special development for VW, Audi, SEAT and SKODA petrol and diesel
> vehicles with service interval extension (also pump jet engines).
> The fully synthetic low-viscosity motor oil from the Longlife 2
> generation keeps the engine perfectly clean. Exceeds the high Volkswagen
> test requirements. Reduces fuel consumption in one of the toughest
> consumption tests in Europe (CEC-L-54-T-96/ MB M 111) by more than 2.5%
> as compared with the specified reference oil. Fast cold-start oiling
> provides excellent engine wear protection during the start and warm-up
> phase.
>
> Intended use
> All-year oil for petrol and diesel engines with and without pump-jet
> technology. Specially developed for vehicles with service interval
> extension (German abbreviation: WIV) from Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda.
> Tested safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers.
>

> --
>
> Xeno

Refer to the owners manual. Do what it says.
Old November 18th 17, 01:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

wrote:

>>> I am more worried about the viscosity range: why do German "luxury/performace"
>>> cars need 0W40 oils? That is expensive crap.
>>>

>> Extremely low friction requirements.

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/using-t...ht-engine-oil/

>> Higher viscosity oil (10W-60) delivers higher thermal stability where as
>> lower viscosity oil (5W-40) minimises fuel consumption and emissions by
>> reducing the energy required to circulate the oil. The correct viscosity
>> is specified by the manufacturer and is designed to optimise the
>> efficiency, performance and life of the engine.
>>
>> For example;
>>
>> http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/product...me-plus-0w-30/
>>
>> SYNTHOIL LONGTIME PLUS | 0W-30
>>
>> Special development for VW, Audi, SEAT and SKODA petrol and diesel
>> vehicles with service interval extension (also pump jet engines).
>> The fully synthetic low-viscosity motor oil from the Longlife 2
>> generation keeps the engine perfectly clean. Exceeds the high Volkswagen
>> test requirements. Reduces fuel consumption in one of the toughest
>> consumption tests in Europe (CEC-L-54-T-96/ MB M 111) by more than 2.5%
>> as compared with the specified reference oil. Fast cold-start oiling
>> provides excellent engine wear protection during the start and warm-up
>> phase.
>>
>> Intended use
>> All-year oil for petrol and diesel engines with and without pump-jet
>> technology. Specially developed for vehicles with service interval
>> extension (German abbreviation: WIV) from Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda.
>> Tested safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Xeno

> Refer to the owners manual. Do what it says.

Pretty much. There are critical additives in these oils for other
specific purposes as well. Deviate from Mfr's specs at your peril.

--

Xeno
Old November 19th 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

wrote:

>>> Extremely low friction requirements.

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/using-t...ht-engine-oil/

>>> Higher viscosity oil (10W-60) delivers higher thermal stability where as
>>> lower viscosity oil (5W-40) minimises fuel consumption and emissions by
>>> reducing the energy required to circulate the oil. The correct viscosity
>>> is specified by the manufacturer and is designed to optimise the
>>> efficiency, performance and life of the engine.
>>>
>>> For example;
>>>
>>> http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/product...me-plus-0w-30/
>>>
>>> SYNTHOIL LONGTIME PLUS | 0W-30
>>>
>>> Special development for VW, Audi, SEAT and SKODA petrol and diesel
>>> vehicles with service interval extension (also pump jet engines).
>>> The fully synthetic low-viscosity motor oil from the Longlife 2
>>> generation keeps the engine perfectly clean. Exceeds the high Volkswagen
>>> test requirements. Reduces fuel consumption in one of the toughest
>>> consumption tests in Europe (CEC-L-54-T-96/ MB M 111) by more than 2.5%
>>> as compared with the specified reference oil. Fast cold-start oiling
>>> provides excellent engine wear protection during the start and warm-up
>>> phase.
>>>
>>> Intended use
>>> All-year oil for petrol and diesel engines with and without pump-jet
>>> technology. Specially developed for vehicles with service interval
>>> extension (German abbreviation: WIV) from Audi, Volkswagen, Seat, Skoda.
>>> Tested safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers.

>> Refer to the owners manual. Do what it says.
>>

> Pretty much. There are critical additives in these oils for other
> specific purposes as well. Deviate from Mfr's specs at your peril.

No problem. But I really want to know why 40-weight oil was a proper
choice in HOT weather (80mph on a slight uphill across the Mojave in
August, for example) a while back but now isn't even an option.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Life is actually fair. It just doesn't seem to be common

Old November 19th 17, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Xeno

wrote:

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/using-t...ht-engine-oil/

>>> Refer to the owners manual. Do what it says.
>>>

>> Pretty much. There are critical additives in these oils for other
>> specific purposes as well. Deviate from Mfr's specs at your peril.

> No problem.Â* But I really want to know why 40-weight oil was a proper
> choice in HOT weather (80mph on a slight uphill across the Mojave in
> August, for example) a while back but now isn't even an option.

Engines have changed, emissions rules have tightened.

--

Xeno
Old November 19th 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Xeno > wrote:
>On 19/11/2017 12:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> No problem.Â* But I really want to know why 40-weight oil was a proper
>> choice in HOT weather (80mph on a slight uphill across the Mojave in
>> August, for example) a while back but now isn't even an option.
>>

>Engines have changed, emissions rules have tightened.

Likely someone could make a 40-weight oil with the correct additive pack for
that engine, but nobody does, because it would be of very limited use.
There aren't a lot of people in the Mojave at any given time.

They make the oil that is usable over the widest possible applications with
the correct additive pack.
--scott