What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 9th 17, 01:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Vic Smith

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 15:18:01 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/7/2017 11:00 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

>> Snow and rain handling. FWD is better. Not snowing or raining?
>> Doesn't matter to me, I'm not racing.
>>

>Best car I ever had in the snow was RWD. Yes, my '62 Corvair

My VWs were good in the snow too. Not much clearance though.

>You can argue the merits or each, but, snow aside, the fact is, 99% of
>the drivers can't see the difference 99% of the time. The typical
>commute to work or shopping is under conditions that you cannot see the
>variance in handling.

Try telling the other guy that handling is a non-issue most of the time.

>Present and last car are AWD. It varies from F/R 40/60 normal, 50/50 in
>snow mode and if the front or rear are on slippery road it can shift to
>either 90/10 to 10/90 depending on traction. It was great one day in
>the snow going up a hill passing 3 cars stuck or struggling. Retired
>now, I have no plans to drive in the snow.

I suppose to the other guy that's a marketing gimmick.

Old November 9th 17, 02:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/8/2017 1:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Best car I ever had in the snow was RWD. Yes, my '62 Corvair

Well yeah. It had that pancake 6 holding it down. The beetles were
supposed to be good for the same reason.
Old November 9th 17, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
rbowman

On 11/8/2017 5:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> Try telling the other guy that handling is a non-issue most of the time.

I doubt the other guy lives in Montana. The road report from early
December to late February is usually snow packed and icy. That describes
my driveway too. I don't miss the drama of getting my RWD F150 out of
the driveway at all.

>> >Present and last car are AWD. It varies from F/R 40/60 normal, 50/50 in
>> >snow mode and if the front or rear are on slippery road it can shift to
>> >either 90/10 to 10/90 depending on traction. It was great one day in
>> >the snow going up a hill passing 3 cars stuck or struggling. Retired
>> >now, I have no plans to drive in the snow.

> I suppose to the other guy that's a marketing gimmick.

AWD is marketed as a feature. I honestly don't remember a salesman
saying 'Buy the FWD; it's better in the snow.' I will admit I'm focused
on other things when shopping for a car. I like 2 door hatchbacks and
they tend to be FWD. I did have one that was RWD. I traded a '80 Camaro
for a '82 Firebird when the Camaro/Firebirds went to a hatchback. It was
nothing special in the snow but it was better than my '73 Mustang, which
was an unmitigated disaster. When Ford went to that Mustang II POS I
went GM. I haven't looked at the new offerings of either but at least
they look like cars again.

Old November 9th 17, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

rbowman wrote:

> U-joints are easy. In theory. Like many little automotive projects the
> job can turn to crap.

I have to agree, I haven't done a drive shaft u-joint since the 60s when I
had no tools except a hammer and screwdriver and someone gave me a
Christmas gift of Craftsman open-end wrench sets.

In those days we only needed the inch sizes - none of this metric **** -
but I digress.

Just like I thought the lug bolt reassembly would be hard (it was a piece
of cake to put the new lug bolts in), I was surprised how *easy* the
U-joint was to knock off the driveshaft.

As I recall, I removed and then wedged the driveshaft into a relatively old
tree stump so it fit like a vise into the wood (I didn't have a bench vise,
nor even a bench to bolt it to in those days).

Whack! Whack! Pop! ... wow. That was easy!

Wouldn't you know it.
The u-joint just popped out of the shaft.

I forget all the details as this was more than 50 years ago, but I was
surprised how *easy* it was. I think it went in pretty easily as I don't
recall remembering anything about reassembly and you only remember the
times when you're surprised.

That was my first, and my last drive shaft ujoint but it was so easy, I'm
*glad* I did it. I remember it looked like a stocky sturdy hefty heavy
cross with beautifully machined round caps on each of the four ends.

Anyway, I think I've learned a lot in this thread, which was two of the
three things we discussed.

1. Why most of us don't do the five or six jobs
2. Why cars last forever nowadays
3. Let's just forget the warp, fwd, drilled rotor stuff.

Here's my pensive summary why most of us don't do the six main jobs:
1. major engine work (we don't have the time to do it on a daily drive)
2. automatic transmission (we don't have the skill set to do it right)
3. manual transmission (we need a couple of tools that we don't have)
4. alignment (we need to think too much and it hurts our brains to do that)
5. tires (it's just too freaking easy to pay someone else to do them)
6. paint (we don't have the necessary skills to do the job well)

How does that sound as a summary as to *why* we don't do those 6 jobs.
Old November 9th 17, 05:00 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 11/08/2017 04:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 15:18:01 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 11/7/2017 11:00 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

>>> Snow and rain handling. FWD is better. Not snowing or raining?
>>> Doesn't matter to me, I'm not racing.

>>Best car I ever had in the snow was RWD. Yes, my '62 Corvair

> My VWs were good in the snow too. Not much clearance though.

Remember the "How does the snowplow driver drive to his snowplow?"
commercials?

My 83 Sentra (FWD of course) with real-chain chains was very good on the
20 miles of 2-3 inches of packed snow/ice on the mountain road up to the
ski are. Nobody told me you weren't supposed to drive 40, which is what
I was doing. After maybe 4 trips one of the chains broke.

>>You can argue the merits or each, but, snow aside, the fact is, 99% of
>>the drivers can't see the difference 99% of the time. The typical
>>commute to work or shopping is under conditions that you cannot see the
>>variance in handling.

I don't know whether it was the RWD or the soft racing tires, but
driving down the mountain in my friend's S2000 was the best driving
experience I've ever had even including the botched shifts!

In my defense, I hadn't driven stick for 15 years and the shifter only
provided a TINY amount of physical space between the gears and I had no
idea where I was most of the time.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Calling someone an asshole for being rude to a telemarketer

Old November 9th 17, 05:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 4:16:48 PM UTC-6, Xeno wrote:

> >> Does eyeballing it count? I bought a used car in which I could see about
> >> 1/16" of warp as I rotated the rotor and looked through the top of the
> >> caliper. It was one of those cars with the rotor captured behind the hub
> >> and the shop price for the repair probably contributed to the previous
> >> owners desire to get rid of the car.

> > Doesn't anyone here know the difference between runout and warp?
> >

> Warp *creates* runout.
>
> --
>
> Xeno

A buddy of mine who lives in Philadelphia, Pa, This morning he took his Ford Taurus to a shop to have the old EGR valve replaced. It cost him $450.00. If it had been my car I would have bought an EGR deleate kit, or rigged up something. No more EGR valve.
Old November 9th 17, 07:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, November 7, 2017 at 6:20:36 PM UTC-10, rbowman wrote:
> On 11/7/2017 6:13 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> > You drive a dump truck for a reason, and that's because it hauls dirt.
> > You drive a FWD car for a reason and that's because it's cheap.

> The first FWD cat I had was an Audi 100 that was renamed to the A6 in
> 1995. Go buy an A6 and get back to me on cheap. I guess the FWD variant
> is cheaper than the Quattro AWD.

I got an Austin America back in 76. I was greatly impressed with it's efficiency of space and get up and go. I told my wife that one day, all cars would be FWD. Hey, I was right.
Old November 9th 17, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
AMuzi

On 11/8/2017 2:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/7/2017 11:00 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 01:13:40 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood
>> > wrote:

>>> It wasn't nonsense.
>>>
>>> Saying you drive a FWD for its "handling" is like saying
>>> you drive a dump
>>> truck for its handling.
>>>

>> Snow and rain handling. FWD is better. Not snowing or
>> raining?
>> Doesn't matter to me, I'm not racing.
>>

> Best car I ever had in the snow was RWD. Yes, my '62 Corvair
>
> You can argue the merits or each, but, snow aside, the fact
> is, 99% of the drivers can't see the difference 99% of the
> time. The typical commute to work or shopping is under
> conditions that you cannot see the variance in handling.
>
> Present and last car are AWD. It varies from F/R 40/60
> normal, 50/50 in snow mode and if the front or rear are on
> slippery road it can shift to either 90/10 to 10/90
> depending on traction. It was great one day in the snow
> going up a hill passing 3 cars stuck or struggling. Retired
> now, I have no plans to drive in the snow.

Good point. There's also meatware.

Being also a Corvair guy, I am somewhere between incompetent
and dangerous in a FWD. All my instincts are wrong for that.
Younger drivers who drive those all day are good at it and
ought to stay away from Corvairs, Porsches etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old November 10th 17, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Tekkie®

RS Wood posted for all of us...

> Tekkie+AK4- wrote:
>
> > +-75 and gaining... I am just reading along here and getting a few chuckles
> > as well...

> Have you noticed that in the last 30 years, the *same* bro science prevails
> on some people who can't learn logic ever?
>
> People back up marketing bull**** (which they believe) with fantastical bro
> science (which nobody else believes).
>
> They've been doing that for as long as I can remember...

You know I really don't care what what you think of me. I am satisfied that
I have done good deeds for my fellow citizens.

--
Tekkie