C7

Old July 19th 14, 03:43 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5[_2_]

Default C7

I had the opportunity to get a look at the C7 in town. Our first (small town). It seems as though the roof has been dropped down. My imagination?

Bob Drake
Old July 19th 14, 04:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"Blue C5" > wrote in message
>I had the opportunity to get a look at the C7 in town. Our first
>(small town). It seems as though the roof has been dropped down. My
>imagination?
>
> Bob Drake

Height of the C5 47.7 inches, C6 47.7 inches, the C7 is 48.8 inches,
any of then setting in the Corvette museum minus 38 feet..

Old July 19th 14, 08:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Blue C5" > wrote in message
>> I had the opportunity to get a look at the C7 in town. Our first
>> (small town). It seems as though the roof has been dropped down. My
>> imagination?
>>
>> Bob Drake

> Height of the C5 47.7 inches, C6 47.7 inches, the C7 is 48.8 inches, any
> of then setting in the Corvette museum minus 38 feet..

....maybe this is why I've been having a really hard time warming up to
the C7. We have a couple of them in town, and I've visited them at
dealers, and I just flat don't like them. They seem "taller" and
boxy...and now I know why - they are taller. And I seem to be really
sensitive to what color does for the lines of the car.

The pictures I've seen of the new Z06 do look "right" to me...because
they are wider and that makes them look as low as they should be, I
think. But there's no way I'd own a C7 Z06 because of the carbon
brakes...just plain too much of an expense on the upkeep for my driving
style.

Maybe a C7 Gran Sport?..maybe...

--
- Rufus
Old July 19th 14, 09:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"Rufus" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:
>>
>> "Blue C5" > wrote in message
>>> I had the opportunity to get a look at the C7 in town. Our first
>>> (small town). It seems as though the roof has been dropped down.
>>> My
>>> imagination?
>>>
>>> Bob Drake

>> Height of the C5 47.7 inches, C6 47.7 inches, the C7 is 48.8
>> inches, any
>> of then setting in the Corvette museum minus 38 feet..

> ...maybe this is why I've been having a really hard time warming up
> to the C7. We have a couple of them in town, and I've visited them
> at dealers, and I just flat don't like them. They seem "taller" and
> boxy...and now I know why - they are taller. And I seem to be
> really sensitive to what color does for the lines of the car.
>
> The pictures I've seen of the new Z06 do look "right" to
> me...because they are wider and that makes them look as low as they
> should be, I think. But there's no way I'd own a C7 Z06 because of
> the carbon brakes...just plain too much of an expense on the upkeep
> for my driving style.
>
> Maybe a C7 Gran Sport?..maybe...
>
> --
> - Rufus

So you need a fatter sports car for a fat American? Sorry, I just
don't like the fat Grand Sport and I say keep it lean and mean.. I
totally agree that the color make it look different depending on your
tastes. The black is looking better with the dark gray second, I've
even considered the dark green.

We came out of our favorite restaurant 2 days ago and I had to open
the hatch and crawl in to pull it out far enough to let the better
half get in, (I can say that because she paid for lunch). The numb
nutz in the whacked out Honda parked on her door would have taken the
paint off a Grand Sport. I have also found more than just a few Grand
Sports sitting on the lot, maybe a dozen or so.

I to have to deal in a small town that has no allotment or ability to
sell the C7, seems GM thinks it is its own brand name now. Believe me
I've tried and after 6 dealers they can kiss my ass. On the other hand
Les Stanford has a couple with $6,000 knocked off the price that I'm
going to go take a look at next week. I have to say that I have lost
my "burning" desire to even trade. Run a craigslist search around
Detroit and at that time I found 5 used for sale, all with less than a
1,100 on them, what's up with that?.

Old July 19th 14, 10:56 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>> Dad wrote:

>>> Height of the C5 47.7 inches, C6 47.7 inches, the C7 is 48.8 inches, any
>>> of then setting in the Corvette museum minus 38 feet..

>> ...maybe this is why I've been having a really hard time warming up to
>> the C7. We have a couple of them in town, and I've visited them at
>> dealers, and I just flat don't like them. They seem "taller" and
>> boxy...and now I know why - they are taller. And I seem to be really
>> sensitive to what color does for the lines of the car.
>>
>> The pictures I've seen of the new Z06 do look "right" to me...because
>> they are wider and that makes them look as low as they should be, I
>> think. But there's no way I'd own a C7 Z06 because of the carbon
>> brakes...just plain too much of an expense on the upkeep for my
>> driving style.
>>
>> Maybe a C7 Gran Sport?..maybe...
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus
>>

> So you need a fatter sports car for a fat American? Sorry, I just don't
> like the fat Grand Sport and I say keep it lean and mean.. I totally
> agree that the color make it look different depending on your tastes.
> The black is looking better with the dark gray second, I've even
> considered the dark green.

I think for the first time I've found a car that I don't like in
black...I think the colors you like are probably also the most
acceptable colors to me.

> We came out of our favorite restaurant 2 days ago and I had to open the
> hatch and crawl in to pull it out far enough to let the better half get
> in, (I can say that because she paid for lunch). The numb nutz in the
> whacked out Honda parked on her door would have taken the paint off a
> Grand Sport. I have also found more than just a few Grand Sports sitting
> on the lot, maybe a dozen or so.

That just sounds like people that like to park close and P-O Vette
owners...I always park mine strategically, and not based on how far I
have to walk. I find it a lot easier to get in and out of my C6 Z06
than my C4, but I still find my C4 to be a bit more comfortable because
of the way the seat hugs my back. I'm a skinny dude...

I do think there are probably things that can be done with the door
design that could help...my cube-mate put a Lambo-door conversion on her
C6, and while I don't particularly like that, it does reduce the car's
"wingspan".

> I to have to deal in a small town that has no allotment or ability to
> sell the C7, seems GM thinks it is its own brand name now. Believe me
> I've tried and after 6 dealers they can kiss my ass. On the other hand
> Les Stanford has a couple with $6,000 knocked off the price that I'm
> going to go take a look at next week. I have to say that I have lost my
> "burning" desire to even trade. Run a craigslist search around Detroit
> and at that time I found 5 used for sale, all with less than a 1,100 on
> them, what's up with that?.

I don't even have a GM dealer in my town at all - we lost ours in the
bailout. The only car I've ever bought in CA is my '87 Vette (sometime
around '89, I think) - I'm the third owner, and I bought it off a friend
that didn't keep it very long. I bought my '08 Z06 from a dealer in
Indiana two years ago now, for about $30K under the cost of a brand new
one...and it only had 4100 miles on it when it came off the truck - and
he shipped it to me gratis. Super clean car.

Outside of that, the cheapest place I've found to buy a car of any kind
is in the midwest - particularly in the Chicago area. I bought a '92
GMC Jimmy on a factory order and every dealer I went into came in under
the last one...without me even saying anything about what the last guy
offered to do for me.

Right now I've got my eye on a 2013 Camaro SS in Kansas that I'm
thinking of trying to get rid of the '87 for...loaded to the hilt, and
the price is acceptable. 2700 miles on it, last time I looked.

--
- Rufus
Old July 19th 14, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default New thread - this has nothing to do with the C7

"Rufus" > wrote in message
>> We came out of our favorite restaurant 2 days ago and I had to open
>> the
>> hatch and crawl in to pull it out far enough to let the better half
>> get
>> in, (I can say that because she paid for lunch). The numb nutz in
>> the
>> whacked out Honda parked on her door would have taken the paint off
>> Grand Sport. I have also found more than just a few Grand Sports
>> sitting
>> on the lot, maybe a dozen or so.
>>

> That just sounds like people that like to park close and P-O Vette
> owners...I always park mine strategically, and not based on how far
> I have to walk. I find it a lot easier to get in and out of my C6
> Z06 than my C4, but I still find my C4 to be a bit more comfortable
> because of the way the seat hugs my back. I'm a skinny dude...
>
> I do think there are probably things that can be done with the door
> design that could help...my cube-mate put a Lambo-door conversion on
> her C6, and while I don't particularly like that, it does reduce the
> car's "wingspan".

Parked backed in drivers side on the curb, handicap on the passenger
side, 6' left on his drivers side. There will always be idiots out
there.

Gag me with a spoon, lambo doors on a Corvette? I've seen worse, some
of the owners should have their toe nails pulled with pliers and
washed out with gasoline but then I change very little on a Corvette,
my choice as it is theirs. Some people think I'm nuts for the miles I
put on them but that's what I buy them for, to drive it when ever I
can, rain or shine.

Old July 20th 14, 02:08 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>>> We came out of our favorite restaurant 2 days ago and I had to open the
>>> hatch and crawl in to pull it out far enough to let the better half get
>>> in, (I can say that because she paid for lunch). The numb nutz in the
>>> whacked out Honda parked on her door would have taken the paint off a
>>> Grand Sport. I have also found more than just a few Grand Sports sitting
>>> on the lot, maybe a dozen or so.
>>>

>> That just sounds like people that like to park close and P-O Vette
>> owners...I always park mine strategically, and not based on how far I
>> have to walk. I find it a lot easier to get in and out of my C6 Z06
>> than my C4, but I still find my C4 to be a bit more comfortable
>> because of the way the seat hugs my back. I'm a skinny dude...
>>
>> I do think there are probably things that can be done with the door
>> design that could help...my cube-mate put a Lambo-door conversion on
>> her C6, and while I don't particularly like that, it does reduce the
>> car's "wingspan".
>>

> Parked backed in drivers side on the curb, handicap on the passenger
> side, 6' left on his drivers side. There will always be idiots out there.
>
> Gag me with a spoon, lambo doors on a Corvette? I've seen worse, some of
> the owners should have their toe nails pulled with pliers and washed out
> with gasoline but then I change very little on a Corvette, my choice as
> it is theirs. Some people think I'm nuts for the miles I put on them but
> that's what I buy them for, to drive it when ever I can, rain or shine.

Same here...I have Harleys for bolting stuff onto and customizing.

Other than things like floor mats I prefer all of my cars pretty much
stock. I'll swap the wheels on my Z06 someday for comp grey ones, but
they will be factory 8 spoke comp grey ones. Since I have two Corvettes
right now I tend to baby my Z06 and only drive it on highway trips. If
I can get rid of my '87 one of these days I'll probably start racking
miles on it. I tend to keep vehicles a long time - I have two that have
spent over 20 years in my possession.

--
- Rufus
Old July 20th 14, 03:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"Rufus" > wrote in message
> Dad wrote:

>>> That just sounds like people that like to park close and P-O Vette
>>> owners...I always park mine strategically, and not based on how
>>> far I
>>> have to walk. I find it a lot easier to get in and out of my C6
>>> Z06
>>> than my C4, but I still find my C4 to be a bit more comfortable
>>> because of the way the seat hugs my back. I'm a skinny dude...
>>>
>>> I do think there are probably things that can be done with the
>>> door
>>> design that could help...my cube-mate put a Lambo-door conversion
>>> on
>>> her C6, and while I don't particularly like that, it does reduce
>>> the
>>> car's "wingspan".
>>>

>> Parked backed in drivers side on the curb, handicap on the
>> passenger
>> side, 6' left on his drivers side. There will always be idiots out
>> there.
>>
>> Gag me with a spoon, lambo doors on a Corvette? I've seen worse,
>> some of
>> the owners should have their toe nails pulled with pliers and
>> washed out
>> with gasoline but then I change very little on a Corvette, my
>> choice as
>> it is theirs. Some people think I'm nuts for the miles I put on
>> them but
>> that's what I buy them for, to drive it when ever I can, rain or
>> shine.
>>

> Same here...I have Harleys for bolting stuff onto and customizing.
>
> Other than things like floor mats I prefer all of my cars pretty
> much stock. I'll swap the wheels on my Z06 someday for comp grey
> ones, but they will be factory 8 spoke comp grey ones. Since I have
> two Corvettes right now I tend to baby my Z06 and only drive it on
> highway trips. If I can get rid of my '87 one of these days I'll
> probably start racking miles on it. I tend to keep vehicles a long
> time - I have two that have spent over 20 years in my possession.
>
> --
> - Rufus

My first car in my name was April 1958, it sits in my barn in primer
with a rebuilt engine and chassis with most of the body work done.
been there since '82 when mom sold the farm, Just lost interest in it
and have told a friend that has been bugging me forever that I'll sell
it to him. Base '50 Chevy coupe no options except heater, stock. It's
funny, since I told him I'd sell it he has never mentioned it again. I
think he's afraid of the price and I'm not going to say anything
because I'm not sure I can do it. The '72 has been around for 14 years
but the '05 has been around 9 years 10 months, the 64 is the new
comer, but I have a '65 Mustang that has been around here since 1987.
Parts have been a bear for it as it is one of the promo cars that was
priced at $1965 back in 1965. No options just a 6 with a 3 speed on
the floor, 4 bolt 13" wheels small hub caps, (try to find those) mine
are from a friends Falcon. Different script on the fenders, generator,
hood latch, and on and on it goes. Almost everything done except the
replacement frame panels with serial number on them that the state is
giving me fits about. Almost had it and the gal in the title office
died and the new one braids he pubic hair and rides a broom to work.
Got to start all over with the inspections.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red /6spd-Z51

Old July 20th 14, 07:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>> Dad wrote:

>>> Parked backed in drivers side on the curb, handicap on the passenger
>>> side, 6' left on his drivers side. There will always be idiots out
>>> there.
>>>
>>> Gag me with a spoon, lambo doors on a Corvette? I've seen worse, some of
>>> the owners should have their toe nails pulled with pliers and washed out
>>> with gasoline but then I change very little on a Corvette, my choice as
>>> it is theirs. Some people think I'm nuts for the miles I put on them but
>>> that's what I buy them for, to drive it when ever I can, rain or shine.
>>>

>> Same here...I have Harleys for bolting stuff onto and customizing.
>>
>> Other than things like floor mats I prefer all of my cars pretty much
>> stock. I'll swap the wheels on my Z06 someday for comp grey ones, but
>> they will be factory 8 spoke comp grey ones. Since I have two
>> Corvettes right now I tend to baby my Z06 and only drive it on highway
>> trips. If I can get rid of my '87 one of these days I'll probably
>> start racking miles on it. I tend to keep vehicles a long time - I
>> have two that have spent over 20 years in my possession.
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus
>>

> My first car in my name was April 1958, it sits in my barn in primer
> with a rebuilt engine and chassis with most of the body work done. been
> there since '82 when mom sold the farm, Just lost interest in it and
> have told a friend that has been bugging me forever that I'll sell it to
> him. Base '50 Chevy coupe no options except heater, stock. It's funny,
> since I told him I'd sell it he has never mentioned it again. I think
> he's afraid of the price and I'm not going to say anything because I'm
> not sure I can do it. The '72 has been around for 14 years but the '05
> has been around 9 years 10 months, the 64 is the new comer, but I have a
> '65 Mustang that has been around here since 1987. Parts have been a bear
> for it as it is one of the promo cars that was priced at $1965 back in
> 1965. No options just a 6 with a 3 speed on the floor, 4 bolt 13"
> wheels small hub caps, (try to find those) mine are from a friends
> Falcon. Different script on the fenders, generator, hood latch, and on
> and on it goes. Almost everything done except the replacement frame
> panels with serial number on them that the state is giving me fits
> about. Almost had it and the gal in the title office died and the new
> one braids he pubic hair and rides a broom to work. Got to start all
> over with the inspections.

My cousin has a '68 Shelby 500K convertible that he bought in San Diego
as he was getting out of the USMC...paid $2K for it, he's the original
owner.

My first car was a '72 Mustang, and I'm well glad that I don't have
it...it'd been rolled, and I had duct tape covering a lot of the rust
holes - that drove my Ma nuts! Can't keep much in the mid-western
salt-slush...not if you drive it.

I'm really more of a bike guy, but the only car I've ever owned that I
wished I had back to this day is my '86 Trans Am. It was a GM show car,
and I got it as a "brass hat" with 3000 miles on it from the show
circuit. Black and gold, 5 speed, 5 liter with a Holley four barrel,
WS6 suspension, t-tops, and a Recaro interior. It was loaded with
everything but an automatic trans and fuel injection.

I've only ever seen two others like it - both in St. Louis - one like
mine, but with an automatic an TPI, and a white one. I bought mine in
the Chi-burbs, for about $9K by the time all was said and the deal was
done. I was so jazzed with it that I got all the way back to St. Louis
before I realized I didn't even have a bill of sale for it...had to go
back the next week. Really, really easy to drive, fun to drive car.
I'd swap my Z06 for it if I could. Or at least my '87.

--
- Rufus
Old July 20th 14, 08:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

"Rufus" > wrote in message

> I'm really more of a bike guy, but the only car I've ever owned that
> I wished I had back to this day is my '86 Trans Am.

Now for the bike stories, My uncle got married when he was 17 ('47)
wife was and still is his wife was 16. Had no money but lied his way
into a job at a new plant in Toledo, LOF where they were gearing up to
make the "new" wrap around windshields. He found an old Harley and
bought it for $15 and got it running. road it to work year round.
Forced retirement after 30 years but hired back in as the supervisor
of his department and worked some more years, not sure how many.
Anyhow the old Harley was still being ridden to work but not every
day. It was black with black and white leather saddle bags and the
leather had taken a set in their hanging position the last time I saw
them, late eighties. It has been years since I've seen him but I did
hear one time he had sold it for what I thought was a ridiculous
amount.

For a right now story I worked with a Harley nut, well more than one.
He has a '39 (don't hold me to that age) restored to look vintage and
it sure does. He will make his own castings to make them
period/correct and then age them to period. Some time when I'm around
him I'll get some pictures of it. There's much more to this story but
I'll wait until I have some facts/dates to tell the rest. Interesting
man, details are his life and he'll study something until you're bored
to death but when he's done you can see why.