1967 beetle won't start

Old September 22nd 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
aptpupil

Default 1967 beetle won't start

this one's probably basic...got a 67 bug that won't start, doesn't try
turning over at all. battery is showing 13.4 volts, lights go on, but no
cranking at all. red light is on, but not the green/yellow one. i have a
kill switch on this, not sure how it works, but when it's off the car will
crank, but not turn over. coil? starter? ideas? giving me ways to test the
ideas would be even better. thanks in advance.
-chris

Old September 22nd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 21, 7:49*pm, "aptpupil" > wrote:
> this one's probably basic...got a 67 bug that won't start, doesn't try
> turning over at all. battery is showing 13.4 volts, lights go on, but no
> cranking at all. red light is on, but not the green/yellow one. i have a
> kill switch on this, not sure how it works, but when it's off the car will
> crank, but not turn over. coil? starter? ideas? giving me ways to test the
> ideas would be even better. thanks in advance.
> -chris

Speedy time.

Old September 22nd 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 02:49:31 +0200, aptpupil > wrote:

> this one's probably basic...got a 67 bug that won't start, doesn't try
> turning over at all. battery is showing 13.4 volts, lights go on, but no
> cranking at all. red light is on, but not the green/yellow one. i have a
> kill switch on this, not sure how it works, but when it's off the car
> will
> crank, but not turn over

Crank but not turn over??
Not going to argue about semantics, but you need to clarify this one.

J.

Old September 22nd 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Just try the starter directly by supplying power to the little wire on the
starter solenoid!
Can you turn the crankshaft by hand or by wrench?
post results!

I am not Speedy though! ;-)

> wrote in message
On Sep 21, 7:49 pm, "aptpupil" > wrote:
> this one's probably basic...got a 67 bug that won't start, doesn't try
> turning over at all. battery is showing 13.4 volts, lights go on, but no
> cranking at all. red light is on, but not the green/yellow one. i have a
> kill switch on this, not sure how it works, but when it's off the car will
> crank, but not turn over. coil? starter? ideas? giving me ways to test the
> ideas would be even better. thanks in advance.
> -chris

Speedy time.

Old September 22nd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 21, 7:49*pm, "aptpupil" > wrote:
> this one's probably basic...got a 67 bug that won't start, doesn't try
> turning over at all. battery is showing 13.4 volts, lights go on, but no
> cranking at all. red light is on, but not the green/yellow one. i have a
> kill switch on this, not sure how it works, but when it's off the car will
> crank, but not turn over. coil? starter? ideas? giving me ways to test the
> ideas would be even better. thanks in advance.
> -chris

Try these links:

http://www.vw-resource.com/

http://www.vw-resource.com/car_wont_start.html

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/eng_strt.htm

http://www.vw-resource.com/doesn't_run_right.html
Old September 22nd 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 21, 8:43*pm, "P.J.Berg" > wrote:
> Crank but not turn over??
> Not going to argue about semantics, but you need to clarify this one.
>
> J.

I'll attempt to translate.
Starter isn't turning.

Any noise from the starter or solonoid ?

Randy
Old September 22nd 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

aptpupil wrote:
> this one's probably basic...got a 67 bug that won't start, doesn't try
> turning over at all. battery is showing 13.4 volts, lights go on, but no
> cranking at all. red light is on, but not the green/yellow one. i have a
> kill switch on this, not sure how it works, but when it's off the car will
> crank, but not turn over. coil? starter? ideas? giving me ways to test the
> ideas would be even better. thanks in advance.
> -chris

Jumper starter as shown in this sketch:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/starter4.gif

Shift in Neutral!!!

If it cranks, you know the starter is good.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old September 22nd 08, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

when the kill switch is in the postion that it does turn over check to
see if your getting power on the positive side of the coil. its the
black wire that feeds power and runs from the coil to the top postion
of fuse1 onfuse block.

You sould also check points. turn engine so the points are open thne
turn ignition to on, with test light you should have power to the
molving part of the points.

Old September 22nd 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 22, 4:44 am, " > wrote:
> when the kill switch is in the postion that it does turn over check to
> see if your getting power on the positive side of the coil. its the
> black wire that feeds power and runs from the coil to the top postion
> of fuse1 onfuse block.
>
> You sould also check points. turn engine so the points are open thne
> turn ignition to on, with test light you should have power to the
> molving part of the points.

To the original poster, let it be duly noted that is
a thieving hack and is speaking through unattributed paraphrases from
Muir's idiot manual. HIs name is Mario Gavazzi and he is a conniving
snake, having successfully ripped off many customers of their hard
earned cash in exchange for his ****ty "restoration" services. Take
his advice at your own risk.
Old September 23rd 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Sep 22, 6:44*am, " > wrote:
> when the kill switch is in the postion that it does turn over check to
> see if your getting power on the positive side of the coil. *its the
> black wire that feeds power and runs from the coil to the top postion
> of fuse1 onfuse block.
>
> You sould also check points. turn engine so the points are open thne
> turn ignition to on, with test light you should have power to the
> molving part of the points.

Hey buddy, a name change might be a good idea.