Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

Old February 26th 05, 07:49 PM
Dave Horoschak

Default Explorer V8 EGR valve replacement

Does anyone know where I can find the instructions for replacing the EGR
valve in a 96 Explorer V8? None of the typical manuals (Chiltons,
Haynes) cover the V8 in enough detail for this to be included.

Thanks.
- Dave
Old March 4th 05, 06:05 AM
Kevin D

Dave, which Haynes manual do you have? I have the1991 thru 2000 model year
manual. On page 6-26 is a pretty detailed procedure for R&R of the valve.

You only need to remove 2 bolts, a vacuum hose and the pipe retaining nut.
You might need to tap on the valve to break it loose. Once it's out, remove
the old gasket material. If the mounting flange is dirty, clean it with some
fine steel wool.

Use a new gasket (should come with the new valve). Replace the bolts, vac
hose and pipe, tighten everything up, and you're done.

Good luck,
Kevin

Old March 5th 05, 05:45 AM
Dave Horoschak

Yes - that's the same one I have. That section only covers the V6. The
whole EGR system on the V8 that I have is considerably different.
- Dave

Old March 6th 05, 06:16 PM
Kevin D

Yes, you're correct - I assumed that the valve would be the same regardless
of engine. I'm surprised that it is different. I've replaced EGR valves on
my cars starting with a '78 Chevy that I bought new, and they've all been
essentially the same - two bolts at the base, and a vac line to the
diaphragm. Not all have had a pipe, tho.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Old March 14th 05, 07:55 AM
Frank

"Dave Horoschak" wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can find the instructions for
> replacing the EGR
> valve in a 96 Explorer V8? None of the typical manuals
> (Chiltons,
> Haynes) cover the V8 in enough detail for this to be included.
>
> Thanks.
> - Dave

I had my EGR valve, EGR sensor and the Vaccum control valve on my 96
V8 Explorer replaced by the dealer and it cost over $300. I felt
ripped off. Since I requested my original parts to be saved, I feel
confident in doing it myself next time.

The following the is the procedure that I would use. Buy parts or
examine the parts used. From this examination it can be seen that the
EGR sensor mounts on the back of the EGR value by three small nuts.
Before starting I WOULD DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST. I would
carefully remove these three nuts first and then remove the electrical
connector from the sensor(because it is held top and bottom by the
electrical connector’s slip clips, I see that I can’t easily get to
the lower clip when the sensor is mounted on the back of the EGR
Valve). Although the quarters are tight, the bottom retaining bolt or
nut on the EGR Valve should be now be accessible with either a
universal joint/socket combination or a special purpose wrench. After
removing the EGR valve and cleaning the surface. The installation of a
new EGR could be done in reverse order. I would attach the electrical
cable to the EGR sensor after it is mounted to the back of the EGR
valve. This way should allow me more room to install the three small
EGR sensor nuts. Although, I haven’t performed the above installation
myself this is the approach I would use if my EGR valve needs
replacement again.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Explo...ict105117.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=501079
Old March 15th 05, 01:34 AM
phoeneous

"Frank" wrote:
> I had my EGR valve, EGR sensor and the Vaccum control valve on
> my 96 V8 Explorer replaced by the dealer and it cost over
> $300. I felt ripped off. Since I requested my original parts
> to be saved, I feel confident in doing it myself next time.
>
> The following the is the procedure that I would use. Buy parts
> or examine the parts used. From this examination it can be
> seen that the EGR sensor mounts on the back of the EGR value
> by three small nuts. Before starting I WOULD DISCONNECT THE
> BATTERY FIRST. I would carefully remove these three nuts first
> and then remove the electrical connector from the
> sensor(because it is held top and bottom by the electrical
> connector's slip clips, I see that I can't easily get to the
> lower clip when the sensor is mounted on the back of the EGR
> Valve). Although the quarters are tight, the bottom retaining
> bolt or nut on the EGR Valve should be now be accessible with
> either a universal joint/socket combination or a special
> purpose wrench. After removing the EGR valve and cleaning the
> surface. The installation of a new EGR could be done in
> reverse order. I would attach the electrical cable to the EGR
> sensor after it is mounted to the back of the EGR valve. This
> way should allow me more room to install the three small EGR
> sensor nuts. Although, I haven't performed the above
> installation myself this is the approach I would use if my EGR
> valve needs replacement again.

I need to clean my EGR valve because it is blocked. Im not sure where
it is under my hood but this is the most similar part compared to most
others.

So, is this my EGR Valve?

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrfront.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...92egrright.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg
Old March 15th 05, 03:22 AM
Fred 2

No it is not, that part is a vaccum operated water valve for the
heater.

Old March 15th 05, 03:27 AM
Frank

"phoeneous" wrote:
> I need to clean my EGR valve because it is blocked. Im not
> sure where it is under my hood but this is the most similar
> part compared to most others.
>
> So, is this my EGR Valve?
>
> [img:ed9294cd90]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrfront.jpg[/img:ed9294cd90]
>
> [img:ed9294cd90]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrright.jpg[/img:ed9294cd90]
>
> [img:ed9294cd90]http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/92egrleft.jpg[/img:ed9294cd90]

Phoneous,
I have a 96 Explorer 5.0L V8. Although your layout is different, it
looks close enough to mine to assume the valve’s location is the same.
In your third picture look at the nut that is approximately three
inches down from the end of your transmission check dip stick and
directly in front of it. That is the top nut which attaches the EGR
valve to the extreme corner of your intake manifold on the passenger
side as shown in your picture(On mine there is also a lower attaching
nut.). The nut is also right next to your EGR vaccum control valve.
This is the round black plastic unit with the six slotted cutouts,
which from your picture is approximately two to three inches to the
right of the red wire. Assuming that your EGR valve is at least
visually the same as mine, there should be a plastic EGR valve sensor
attached to the back of your EGR valve with an electrical cable
attached. If you are going to clean it only you might want to buy a
new gasket for your re-installing it. If you still have trouble
identifying it I suggest a visit to your Ford and ask to examine one.
Good luck.
Old March 15th 05, 03:29 AM
Fred 2

Forgot to mention, see that curved silver painted elbow-like part in
the first and third picture? That part is called an "EGR Spacer" the
EGR valve is mounted on the backside of that part facing the firewall

Old March 15th 05, 05:36 AM
phoeneous

"Frank" wrote:
> Phoneous,
> I have a 96 Explorer 5.0L V8. Although your layout is
> different, it looks close enough to mine to assume the valve's
> location is the same. In your third picture look at the nut
> that is approximately three inches down from the end of your
> transmission check dip stick and directly in front of it. That
> is the top nut which attaches the EGR valve to the extreme
> corner of your intake manifold on the passenger side as shown
> in your picture(On mine there is also a lower attaching nut.).
> The nut is also right next to your EGR vaccum control valve.
> This is the round black plastic unit with the six slotted
> cutouts, which from your picture is approximately two to three
> inches to the right of the red wire. Assuming that your EGR
> valve is at least visually the same as mine, there should be a
> plastic EGR valve sensor attached to the back of your EGR
> valve with an electrical cable attached. If you are going to
> clean it only you might want to buy a new gasket for your
> re-installing it. If you still have trouble identifying it I
> suggest a visit to your Ford and ask to examine one. Good
> luck.

So, thats not my EGR valve circled in the first picture? Ill have to
look again but I couldnt find anything that resembles the description
you gave me. Can you take a pic of yours?