C5 Backup Lights

Old November 17th 04, 07:10 PM
Alan B. Densky

Default C5 Backup Lights

I have a 2000 C5. I just paid the dealer $66.00 to swap out a burned out
bulb in the right front directional. That's insane.

Now one of the backup light bulbs has burned out. I want to change it
myself, but I don't want to break anything. Where can I get an exploded view
of how to disassemble the light so that I can change the bulb?

Alan B. Densky

Old November 17th 04, 08:16 PM
Dad

"Alan B. Densky" > wrote in message
.. .
>I have a 2000 C5. I just paid the dealer $66.00 to swap out a burned out
> bulb in the right front directional. That's insane.
>
> Now one of the backup light bulbs has burned out. I want to change it
> myself, but I don't want to break anything. Where can I get an exploded
> view
> of how to disassemble the light so that I can change the bulb?
>
> Alan B. Densky

Nothing to it, take off the license plate, remove the screws under it and
the whole thing comes out, bulb is a 2057.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old November 17th 04, 08:16 PM
Dad

Old November 18th 04, 01:10 PM
Alan B. Densky

Thank you very much!!

Is there a way to get the front directionals changed without putting the car
up on a lift and paying $66.00?

Alan

Old November 18th 04, 01:10 PM
Alan B. Densky

Old November 18th 04, 02:16 PM
Dad

It is easier from the bottom but it can be done from the top, no biggie, but
a tight fit for a gorilla's arm.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

. ..

Old November 18th 04, 02:16 PM
Dad

Old November 18th 04, 04:32 PM
C5_Alan

Yup. The two cited most frequently a

1. Stick your hand into the air intake below the light. Push the ducting
back and down so it's out of the way. Then twist your hand upward until you
can feel the connector. Unsnap it, pull it down and out the air intake,
change the bulb, replace it and replace the ducting. I have used this
method.

2. Pop up the lights (turn on highs and then back off to running lights to
keep the lights up but turned off), remove the bezel around the light,
remove the hood stop next to the light(for more room), reach down and unsnap
the connector and pull up to change. Replace the connector and reassemble.
When I tried this I couldn't get the bezels to pull free of the lights for
some reason.

Key to both of these is:

1. How the connector works. It uses a little tab one one side to release
the connector. Doing this by touch without knowing how to release the
connector would be futile. Google this subject and you'll find some
diagrams of it.

2. *NEVER* touch the bulb with your bare fingers. Wear a surgical glove.
The oils in your skin will lead to early bulb failure.

Alan

--
'99 Magnetic Red coupe, light gray interior
6-speed, performance handling, active handling, HUD, etc.

Old November 18th 04, 04:32 PM
C5_Alan

Old November 19th 04, 03:42 AM
Marty

"Dad" > wrote in message
news
Other good stuff snipped,

> no biggie, but a tight fit for a gorilla's arm.

Kinda like most everything else when working on a Vette?
Time, Patience, Good advice, and a small arm?

:-)

Marty