Damn, I won't be buying GTR afterall

Old February 15th 05, 11:23 AM
Remco Moedt

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:28:11 +1000, "Steve Simpson" >
wrote:

>So you're saying that games/music need to pirated in order to become
>widespread and succeed. Isn't that the idea of demos/radio play? Are you
>saying that the entire copyright system should be scrapped?

Well...I bought a few CD's which are protected, and they refused to
play in my car cd player.....quite ironic that I had to download the
MP3's so I could burn a CD which would play in the car...and basically
I only listen to CD's in my car.

Cheers!

Remco

Old February 15th 05, 12:32 PM
Asgeir Nesoen

I am on the verge of claiming that you don't need to scrap something
that has no effect. Copy protection has no effect on the distribution of
illegal game copies and illegally ripped music. No effect. Except that
it makes life oh-so-difficult for the not-so-computer-savvy people.

The group of people who are likely not to pay for a game/sim are the
ones who would never bother to buy a program if that was the only
option, so where is the threat to the software house revenue? None,
whatsoever.

And yes, for a small, up-and-coming sim developer, with plenty of
integrity and ideals, the major way of getting anywhere is by spreading
their game widely. In many cases, developers have been able to create a
living out of piracy, so to speak, yes.

Internet is a gold mine for all those people who have ideas, creativity,
integrity and persistence, and THOSE are the threat to the software
house revenue, not the piracy.

People who run corporates have never understood the nature of internet
and regard it as a threat to revenue instead of regarding it as the
lands of opportunity.

---Asgeir---

Old February 15th 05, 12:44 PM
JTS

Remco Moedt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:28:11 +1000, "Steve Simpson" >
> wrote:
>

>>So you're saying that games/music need to pirated in order to become
>>widespread and succeed. Isn't that the idea of demos/radio play? Are you
>>saying that the entire copyright system should be scrapped?

> Well...I bought a few CD's which are protected, and they refused to
> play in my car cd player.....quite ironic that I had to download the
> MP3's so I could burn a CD which would play in the car...and basically
> I only listen to CD's in my car.

You scoundrel !! ;>)
Old February 15th 05, 03:09 PM
Byron Forbes

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message
.uk...
> "Byron Forbes" wrote:
>
>> From my experience this is just like all the paranoia surrounding FILSCA
>> ie it's a load of crap - fear of the unknown. I've had GTR for over a
>> month. Had a few teething probs geting the game to install but this was
>> due to not having the lastest starforce drivers. No problems since.

> The innocent victim though is the non technical or new to PC user who
> wouldn't have a clue about downloading drivers. Not everyone will get past
> the teething troubles. If it doesn't install out of the box it doesn't
> work.
> The techies and the pirates won't find it a problem. PC compatibility
> issues
> are great enough without adding to them. A danger is a segment of the
> market
> will be driven to the simple to use consoles and that is where the major
> development will go.

I should add that this problem doesn't exist out of the box. Obviously
the old starforce drivers were on the original disc. I ran into problems as
the patches were installed - one of the newer patches was obviously done in
conjunction with the latest starforce drivers.

Old February 15th 05, 04:30 PM
Andi Cole

And what about the guys trying to earn a living from the game, don't they
deserve some consideration?

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

"Larry" > wrote in message
> To be honest, I don't care what the reasons are, just the effect on ME.
>
> Yes, that may be selfish, but I am the one paying out the hard earned

money
> so I believe I have a right to be selfish
>
> -Larry
>
> "Mitch_A" > wrote in message
> > Larry wrote:
> >
> >> If it doesn't stay within it's own domain (the game), and alters my
> >> system
> >> or adds background tasks, then I'll be skipping over it too.
> >>
> >> I purchased HL2 and I am VERY upset with how it works (Steam). I

haven't
> >> played it more than 15 min since I bought it.
> >>
> >> I want to sell it, but because of the draconian system that's involved

> >> don't even know if that's possible.
> >>
> >> -Larry

> > Honestly Larry I think your blaming the wrong crowd. Youre aiming at

the
> > "easy" tgt instead of the crooks whose fault this really is. We live in
> > an
> > era of "lowest common denominator" sadly and its only going to get worse
> > so
> > Id suggest hanging up the PC now before you give yourself a heart attack
> >

> > Up till recently the internet has been the wild wild west of our
> > generation.
> > Do you think its now ok to go around shooting people at a poker table

now

Old February 15th 05, 06:40 PM
Plowboy

I might see if the ol 3000 will boot... hasn't been plugged in since 98
thou :P

Uwe Schürkamp enlightened us with:

Old February 15th 05, 06:49 PM
Eric Tetz

Steve Simpson wrote:
> Are you saying that the entire copyright system should be scrapped?

Copyright and copy protection are two different things.

Copyright protects the legal rights of an intellectual property holder.

Copy protection punishes honest people by forcing them to swap CDs
constantly, install funky drivers, validate through the Internet, use
hardware dongles, etc. -- while people who *steal* the software remain
blissfully unaware of all this, enjoying a far greater ease of use.
Whoever said crime doesn't pay never heard of Steam.

Old February 15th 05, 07:05 PM
Plowboy

Them greedy SOB's (LOL)

I agree with you A.N. too many think quick killing is better than slow
moderate "milking" of the customers is usually better. hell look at
Winzip... what you figure the pay to use, vs the free user ratio is? all I
got (when not at my computer) is a nag screen to keep using it. I paid once
waaay back when like 4.x dayz...

Asgeir Nesoen enlightened us with:

Old February 15th 05, 10:08 PM
Dangerous Beans

"Remco Moedt" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:35:47 +1100, "Byron Forbes"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Remco Moedt" > wrote in message

>>> Whatever they do, at least don't use something which will sabotage
>>> other present programs, like Nero. I also remember I tried to update
>>> my legal copy of Operation Flashpoint, which didn't work. The reason
>>> was that the update installer found a CD writer on my PC, and just
>>> stopped updating OF without any message....
>>>

>> So what are you saying Remco, that this starforce stuff can interfere
>>with CD/DVD drives and their software?

> Yes. I had to remove the demo since I couldn't use Nero anymore. Seems
> like Starforce is doing something when software is installed which can
> create virtual drives.
>
> Cheers!
>

> Remco

I've got GTR installed (German import) with starforce doing what ever it
does,
I also have Nero 6 & Alcohol 120% v1.9.2 both installed & a DVD-RW drive.
I've have had zero problems or conflicts.

One thing that may have a bearing is that I don't have Nero or Alcohol
running when playing GTR, that includes the Nero check thingy that is put in
the run section of the registry on install (WTF is that for BTW).