91 Ford Escort wagon mechanical problems

Old January 1st 05, 09:47 PM
Jayebea

Default 91 Ford Escort wagon mechanical problems

First, happy new year all!

I am not very mechanically knowledgeable and will have to have the car towed
to the shop asap, but maybe someone can help tell me what is happening.

Car is a 91 Ford Escort Wagon, automatic, 89,000 miles. Recent service
includes new brake shoes, new gasket on master cylinder, new starter motor,
new battery, oil and filter change.

This morning when I was driving, the starter took several attempts until it
caught...something like no start, no start, hesitation, then start. Once
the engine started running, there was a vibration, first seemed to be
(sounded like) fan blade not in balance, odd metalic sound from under the
hood. When the car was running there was severe vibration seeming to coming
from under the vehicle. Even more frightening, billows of white smoke from
the exhaust (I assume). Smoke intensified when I stopped, lessened when I
was on the gas.

Obviously the car is sick. But what should I ask the mechanic to look for?
Maybe it is time to get rid of this vehicle, but buying a new car at this
time would be more money than I can afford to spend.

Your advise will be much appreciated. -- Judy

Old January 1st 05, 10:03 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 21:47:36 GMT, "Jayebea" >
wrote:

>First, happy new year all!

Happy New Year to you also.

>Obviously the car is sick. But what should I ask the mechanic to look for?

Oil in the antifreeze/coolant. Coolant in the oil ( check dipstick ).
That white billowing smoke from tailpipe is usually indicative of a
blown headgasket,

coolant being turned into steam as it leaks into the combustion
cylinders and is pushed out the exhaust through the hot catalytic
converter and exhaust system.

The gasket separates the upper block ( head ) from the rest of the
engine.

Although the gasket is cheap enough, the labor to replace it isn't.

>Maybe it is time to get rid of this vehicle, but buying a new car at this
>time would be more money than I can afford to spend.

I can't afford my car either, but I have to have one, so I bought
*used.*

>Your advise will be much appreciated. -- Judy

This doesn't sound good.

Lg

Old January 1st 05, 10:26 PM
Jayebea

Would it be safe to drive it to the shop (about 5 miles) or better and safer
to have it towed? -- Judy

Thank you for the diagnosis. I must admit it seems scary. I may just have
to buy a newer used car.

Old January 1st 05, 10:30 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:26:22 GMT, "Jayebea" >
wrote:

>Would it be safe to drive it to the shop (about 5 miles) or better and safer
>to have it towed? -- Judy

Always better to have it towed. Otoh, I don't know how *bad* the leak
is, so if you want to drive it, since it is only 5 miles, go for it.

>Thank you for the diagnosis. I must admit it seems scary. I may just have
>to buy a newer used car.

That's is exactly what I did.

I sat down and looked at how many miles I had on my car, what the blue
book value was, what a new radiator replacement was going to cost me.
I came to the conclusion to -not- throw good money after bad, and
bought a 1 year old car. Had I repaired the original vehicle, it
would have been a short time before some other catastrophic failure.

I think you've already gotten your money out of this thing. If it was
me, I would trade it *as is* without ANY repairs. Let the dealership
do the work at their own expense !

Lg

Old January 2nd 05, 12:47 AM
Al Bundy

>From the noise plus the smoke it sounds like you have coolant in a
cylinder. You should have shut it down immediately and should not turn
the engine over with the starter until diagnosed. More damage will be
done. It probably has lots of damage already and a simple head gasket
is not likely to fix it. You could have bent rods, worn bearings and a
bad crank. To determine all this requires disassembly at your cost.
Looking at that cost and the age suggests getting a low cost
confirmation with las little labor as possible and most likely moving
on. I think you could check the water and oil and make the
determination yourself. You now own what's known as a "parts car."

Old January 2nd 05, 04:17 AM
Jayebea

What a way to start the new year! Once I get the car into the shop, I will
ask the mechanic for a realistic appraisal of what is wrong and what must be
done. If, as you suggest, I now have a parts car, I will definitely get
another. Thank you very much.

Judy

ps.com...

Old January 2nd 05, 04:30 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:17:05 GMT, "Jayebea" >
wrote:

>What a way to start the new year! Once I get the car into the shop, I will
>ask the mechanic for a realistic appraisal of what is wrong and what must be
>done. If, as you suggest, I now have a parts car, I will definitely get
>another. Thank you very much.
>
>Judy

I think Al is preparing you for *worst case scenario,* which has a
"chance" of being correct.

I wouldn't write off the car as *parts* just yet. Otoh, I wouldn't
sink a penny into it either. What to do? push it, pull it, tow it to
Golf Mill Ford, and they will give you $2,000 for it toward the
purchase of another vehicle, regardless of the condition of your
junker.

Of course, that's a marketing gimmick, so you want to go to Kelly
Bluebook online and enter the parameters of your vehicle to find out
what it would be worth if it was in good running condition. Probably
will be surprised to find out it is worth ZERO. Scrap Metal, you can
get $40 or $60 bucks to have it towed away never to be seen again.

Look around, talk to FRIENDS, find out if anybody has a car they are
thinking of getting rid of, and try to keep the damn -dealer- out of
the equation. That way you might get a good car for a good price.

Lg

ups.com...

Old January 2nd 05, 07:54 PM
Jayebea

Unfortunately, I will have to sink some money into it...if at all possible I
have to have wheels in order to get around (I am in Los Angeles) and shop
for another vehicle.
According to Kelly Blue Book, a car of my type in excellent condition would
fetch abour $800, and my is not excellent. I am not counting on it for any
part of the payment of another vehicle.

Well, let's see what the mechanic says...

Judy

Old January 2nd 05, 09:22 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 19:54:13 GMT, "Jayebea" >
wrote:

>Unfortunately, I will have to sink some money into it...if at all possible I
>have to have wheels in order to get around (I am in Los Angeles) and shop
>for another vehicle.
>According to Kelly Blue Book, a car of my type in excellent condition would
>fetch abour $800, and my is not excellent. I am not counting on it for any
>part of the payment of another vehicle.
>
>Well, let's see what the mechanic says...
>
>Judy

I just sent you another post with this URL that might help you:

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/search

when you enter your zip code, it tells you what's for sale in your
area, who is selling it, private or dealer, asking price, a lot you
want to know.

When you sort it out to what you want, then you can start making calls
and collecting information.

Last thing is to take maybe 5 of best deals you can get over phone,
and then go LOOK. Bring along a guy who knows what to look for.

Lg

.. .

Old January 3rd 05, 01:34 AM
Jayebea

Thanks. I would not have known how to use the internet to shop. -- Judy