Buying an Audi A4 need Advise

Old November 6th 04, 12:56 AM
Buying a Used Audi

Default Buying an Audi A4 need Advise

Hello Everybody,
First of all I would like to thank you all for keeping up such a
good website.
I am thinking about buying an Audi A4, Since money is tight looking
for a used one, Upto 9-10K what do you suggest. Should I look for an
2.8 or a 1.8T, is A quattro really better than a FWD? What can be
trouble spots I need to focus while buying a 98-2001 A4? I know its a
lot to ask for but please fill me in as much as you can. I would
highly appreciate it.
Thanks
Old November 6th 04, 05:57 AM
Tony

Instrument cluster lighting going dim? costly fix.

Timing belt and water pump changed recently?

Was the water pump changed to the metal impeller rather than the plastic one
that breaks and then breaks the timing belt and then trashes the valves?

Have the control arms been replaced. They all begin to squeak and need replacing
$$$.

My son has the 2.8 and loves it. I prefer the 1.8 for mileage and then chip it
for fun.

quattro for sure.

Old November 6th 04, 11:11 AM
ron

"Buying a Used Audi" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello Everybody,
> First of all I would like to thank you all for keeping up such a
> good website.
> I am thinking about buying an Audi A4, Since money is tight looking
> for a used one, Upto 9-10K what do you suggest. Should I look for an
> 2.8 or a 1.8T, is A quattro really better than a FWD? What can be
> trouble spots I need to focus while buying a 98-2001 A4? I know its a
> lot to ask for but please fill me in as much as you can. I would
> highly appreciate it.
> Thanks

As the previous poster suggests, check all those items have been done, also
go for the quattro if you can.

What country are you in? 10k in uk will buy you a high millege B6 <new
shape> 1.8T quattro.

2.8 is smooth as silk on the motorway, 1.8T is a bit harsher, but easily
chipped to way beyond that of the 2.8 unless you add a supercharger <PES>

2.8 came in 12v and 30v, the 30v is more desirable as its faster, and
smoother

I've had a V6 A4 and now a 1.8T and would say the 1.8T is the better of the
2 simply because its faster and more fun

Ronny

Old November 6th 04, 11:21 PM
Buying a Used Audi

Thank You tony, That was a a great advise, I actually looked at one
today, a 1999, has 82K miles on it. He has changed the timing belt but
never told me anything about the water pump. probably not changed ,
the control arms seemed fine. Around how many miles do you think the
water pump has to be changed?

Old November 7th 04, 12:12 AM
BillyRay

The water pump and tensioner should be replaced at the same time as the
timing belt to save money (sounds odd eh?)
To get to any of these components you have to remove the front of the car
which amounts to a large labor charge. It is only a little more work to
replace all the wear items at the same time... basically you are just paying
for the parts and not the labor which is the real expense.

Old November 7th 04, 03:18 AM
Buying a Used Audi

Thanx Ronny and Tony,
I am in North america, looked at one today with 83K miles on it, he
has the timing belt replaced but not anything else, all services done
by the Audi dealer. The car is a 99 but has the interior of 2000(
thats what he said, I dont know what that means) Automatic with
triptonic. 1.8T Quattro. With the sport package. Asking for 9900 may
be will give for 9K. New Michelin tires. Silver with black leather,
bose system with CD changer.
What do you guys think?
Old November 7th 04, 08:18 AM
Toy

"Tony" > wrote in message
> Instrument cluster lighting going dim? costly fix.
>
> Timing belt and water pump changed recently?
>
> Was the water pump changed to the metal impeller rather than the plastic
> one that breaks and then breaks the timing belt and then trashes the
> valves?
>
> Have the control arms been replaced. They all begin to squeak and need
> replacing $$$.
>
> My son has the 2.8 and loves it. I prefer the 1.8 for mileage and then
> chip it for fun.
>
> quattro for sure.
>
> Buying a Used Audi wrote:
>
>> Hello Everybody,
>> First of all I would like to thank you all for keeping up such a
>> good website.
>> I am thinking about buying an Audi A4, Since money is tight looking
>> for a used one, Upto 9-10K what do you suggest. Should I look for an
>> 2.8 or a 1.8T, is A quattro really better than a FWD? What can be
>> trouble spots I need to focus while buying a 98-2001 A4? I know its a
>> lot to ask for but please fill me in as much as you can. I would
>> highly appreciate it.
>> Thanks

Instrument cluster lighting going dim? Just started on my 1997
A4.........one line gradually disappearing........hmmmmmm

Old November 7th 04, 02:57 PM
ron

"Buying a Used Audi" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanx Ronny and Tony,
> I am in North america, looked at one today with 83K miles on it, he
> has the timing belt replaced but not anything else, all services done
> by the Audi dealer. The car is a 99 but has the interior of 2000(
> thats what he said, I dont know what that means) Automatic with
> triptonic. 1.8T Quattro. With the sport package. Asking for 9900 may
> be will give for 9K. New Michelin tires. Silver with black leather,
> bose system with CD changer.
> What do you guys think?

Seems cheap, specially for a leather and 1.8T quattro, see if its a 99.5
model, it will have clear headlight lenses, and the badge will be on the
bootlid lower down, in line with the number plate,

If so, looks like you got a bargain

Old November 10th 04, 04:00 AM
Buying a Used Audi

Hi ron.
First of all I would like to thank you and everybody else who put
time and gave me good advise about buying an Audi. I am new to this
world The Audi world.
I just got an 2001 A4, which was actually a lot more nicer with all
the service records from Audi dealership. The car has almost 80K miles
on it but its very very clean and nice looking, It still has the new
car smell.
The timing belt has not been replaced I need to do that soon. It
also has the black leather but no sport package. It does have the
three spoke steering wheels etc. I got this one for 10K.
I am very pleased about it. Thank you all once again.
Old November 14th 04, 02:07 AM
David

Hopefully he changed the tensioner at the same time as the timing belt, as
it is usually the tensioner that fails, taking the timing belt and top of
the engine with it.
"Buying a Used Audi" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanx Ronny and Tony,
> I am in North america, looked at one today with 83K miles on it, he
> has the timing belt replaced but not anything else, all services done
> by the Audi dealer. The car is a 99 but has the interior of 2000(
> thats what he said, I dont know what that means) Automatic with
> triptonic. 1.8T Quattro. With the sport package. Asking for 9900 may
> be will give for 9K. New Michelin tires. Silver with black leather,
> bose system with CD changer.
> What do you guys think?

audi facts may be of interest news.blueyonder.co.uk Audi 0 October 28th 04 01:35 PM
need advise on buying a used 2001 Audi A6 2.7T- HELP JMurph Audi 7 October 4th 04 01:27 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM
2001 Audi A6...Buying Advice Z Audi 2 July 16th 04 04:04 PM
Buying a used Audi..UK Tigerheart Audi 5 May 27th 04 11:29 AM