89 Suburban Help...no power..jerks on acceleration

Old January 4th 05, 12:07 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:50:04 -0800, "John" > wrote:

>Hi..
>I made a call to a parts store and he said to take out the fuse to the fuel
>pump and run the vheicle until it stops. Turn it over a few times and
>release the gas cap.
>This should release the presure in the line.
>Sound ok?

Yep. Right on the money. Except for 1 thing. That gas, if the tank
is near full, is going to spill all over creation when you open up
that fuel line if you don't hit the *kill switch* first. I don't know
where they hid it on you but mine is a red button right over the right
rear tire inside the trunk. Says right on it *fuel shut off.*

Lg

Old January 4th 05, 12:11 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:27:27 -0800, "John" > wrote:

>The search for ther elusive fuel pump fuse continues...
>I called the dealership and the info they gave was pull the ECM
>fuse..wrong..vehicle won't start much less use existng fuel to depressurize.
>Then I spoke to a mechanic who said there was a 'black box' on the firewall
>held on by a 'wing nut' where the fuse is located..wrong again..no such
>animal there..nothing remotely appearing to be it..
>Then I called a repair shop who said they wanted $50.00 to put it on
>(because of a $1.00 fuse I can't find..that needs a $14.00 part..)
>I'm beginning to wonder if they design this stuff on purpose.
>Or, they designed it and forgot where they put it......
>: P
>John

Should say in your Owners Manual, John.
For example, I look in my owner's manual.............

"Fuel Pump Relay" is right there. Forget the fuse. Pull the Fuel
Pump Relay, then I -guarantee- the pump will not run.

Lg

Old January 4th 05, 12:36 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:50:04 -0800, "John" > wrote:
>
> >Hi..
> >I made a call to a parts store and he said to take out the fuse to the fuel
> >pump and run the vheicle until it stops. Turn it over a few times and
> >release the gas cap.
> >This should release the presure in the line.
> >Sound ok?

> Yep. Right on the money. Except for 1 thing. That gas, if the tank
> is near full, is going to spill all over creation when you open up
> that fuel line if you don't hit the *kill switch* first. I don't know
> where they hid it on you but mine is a red button right over the right
> rear tire inside the trunk. Says right on it *fuel shut off.*

Lawrence, please stop sending John on a wild goose chase.
There is no "kill switch" on his GM vehicle, so stop telling him
to look for it.
GM and Ford are two entirely different companies who share little
if anything in design.

John has a few choices, he can crack open a fuel fitting and let
the pressure relieve, he can jumper battery voltage to one of his
injectors to relieve fuel pressure, or he can dig around under
the truck for a connector for the fuel pump if it's accessible to
disable the fuel pump or he can disconnect the fuel pump relay
-and- the oil pressure switch to disable the fuel pump.

No matter what he does, he's still going to get a bit of a
gasoline bath when he takes the fittings off the fuel filter, the
filter and the lines will still have gasoline in them, and it's
going to drain, that's a fact.

If he uses a little common sense and keeps a fire extinguisher
handy, he won't make the ten o'clock news.

Since this is a 16 year old GM, his bigger worry is wringing out
the fuel lines when he goes after the fittings on the filter, if
it's seen any rust belt action, it's gonna be tough.

John, there are O-rings on the fuel line ends that fit into the
filter, DON'T loose them, you don't get spares with the new
filter. I DO hope you've got a 5/8" flare nut wrench so you
don't mangle anything important like the line nuts and whatever
you do, don't over-tighten them when you put the new filter on,
smashed flat O-rings don't seal for ****.
Old January 4th 05, 01:07 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:27:27 -0800, "John" > wrote:
>
> >The search for ther elusive fuel pump fuse continues...
> >I called the dealership and the info they gave was pull the ECM
> >fuse..wrong..vehicle won't start much less use existng fuel to depressurize.
> >Then I spoke to a mechanic who said there was a 'black box' on the firewall
> >held on by a 'wing nut' where the fuse is located..wrong again..no such
> >animal there..nothing remotely appearing to be it..
> >Then I called a repair shop who said they wanted $50.00 to put it on
> >(because of a $1.00 fuse I can't find..that needs a $14.00 part..)
> >I'm beginning to wonder if they design this stuff on purpose.
> >Or, they designed it and forgot where they put it......
> >: P
> >John

> Should say in your Owners Manual, John.
> For example, I look in my owner's manual.............
>
> "Fuel Pump Relay" is right there. Forget the fuse. Pull the Fuel
> Pump Relay, then I -guarantee- the pump will not run.

Nope, there's an oil pressure switch in parallel with the FP
relay, as soon as the engine builds a few pounds of oil pressure,
the fuel pump will run.
Old January 4th 05, 01:15 AM
Lawrence Glickman

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 01:07:28 GMT, aarcuda69062
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:27:27 -0800, "John" > wrote:
>>
>> >The search for ther elusive fuel pump fuse continues...
>> >I called the dealership and the info they gave was pull the ECM
>> >fuse..wrong..vehicle won't start much less use existng fuel to depressurize.
>> >Then I spoke to a mechanic who said there was a 'black box' on the firewall
>> >held on by a 'wing nut' where the fuse is located..wrong again..no such
>> >animal there..nothing remotely appearing to be it..
>> >Then I called a repair shop who said they wanted $50.00 to put it on
>> >(because of a $1.00 fuse I can't find..that needs a $14.00 part..)
>> >I'm beginning to wonder if they design this stuff on purpose.
>> >Or, they designed it and forgot where they put it......
>> >: P
>> >John

>> Should say in your Owners Manual, John.
>> For example, I look in my owner's manual.............
>>
>> "Fuel Pump Relay" is right there. Forget the fuse. Pull the Fuel
>> Pump Relay, then I -guarantee- the pump will not run.

>Nope, there's an oil pressure switch in parallel with the FP
>relay, as soon as the engine builds a few pounds of oil pressure,
>the fuel pump will run.

Good info.

I've made a note of it.

Lg