Alfa 156 a bit unwell - Any advice??

Old October 17th 04, 09:37 PM
PK

Default Alfa 156 a bit unwell - Any advice??

I have a 2003 156 2.0 JTS. A couple of times recently, an alarm went off -
Warning Motor Control System Failure, Go to main dealer. Also, the engine
has been spluttering when accelerating - usually in 3rd / 4th gear. Also,
the temperature indication in the car (engine temp.) used to read a steady
72 degrees C. It now seems to oscillate between 70 and 80 degrees C.

The car has been back to a main dealer - they suggested a 'throttle body'
problem and replaced this bit. The problem returned on my way home from the
garage.......

This morning, the car alarmed as I was reversing out of my
driveway...........

This time, the warning light stayed lit. Driving the car produces clouds of
smoke...... I think it'll only go to 25 mph.....

Oh dear.....

Can anyone offer some advice / suggestions as to the problem?

Thanks,

PK

Old October 17th 04, 09:53 PM
Domestos

"PK" > wrote in message
> I have a 2003 156 2.0 JTS. A couple of times recently, an alarm went

off -
> Warning Motor Control System Failure, Go to main dealer. Also, the engine
> has been spluttering when accelerating - usually in 3rd / 4th gear. Also,
> the temperature indication in the car (engine temp.) used to read a steady
> 72 degrees C. It now seems to oscillate between 70 and 80 degrees C.
>
> The car has been back to a main dealer - they suggested a 'throttle body'
> problem and replaced this bit. The problem returned on my way home from

the
> garage.......
>
> This morning, the car alarmed as I was reversing out of my
> driveway...........
>
> This time, the warning light stayed lit. Driving the car produces clouds

of
> smoke...... I think it'll only go to 25 mph.....
>
> Oh dear.....
>
> Can anyone offer some advice / suggestions as to the problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> PK

Black smoke usually spells wrong oil !!! or dirty oil or over heating... but
i'm not expert

Domestos

Old October 17th 04, 10:12 PM
Tony Rickard

"PK" > wrote in message
>I have a 2003 156 2.0 JTS. A couple of times recently, an alarm went off -
>Warning Motor Control System Failure, Go to main dealer. Also, the engine
>has been spluttering when accelerating - usually in 3rd / 4th gear. Also,
>the temperature indication in the car (engine temp.) used to read a steady
>72 degrees C. It now seems to oscillate between 70 and 80 degrees C.
>
> The car has been back to a main dealer - they suggested a 'throttle body'
> problem and replaced this bit. The problem returned on my way home from
> the garage.......
>
> This morning, the car alarmed as I was reversing out of my
> driveway...........
>
> This time, the warning light stayed lit. Driving the car produces clouds
> of smoke...... I think it'll only go to 25 mph.....

Back to the dealer I would say, but at least the problem seems permanent
rather than intermittent which should make diagnosis a lot easier. Certainly
sounds like an engine management computer problem and it could be running
way too rich - hence the smoke. I'm no mechanic so someone will probably
point out this is ********!

Cheers
Tony

Old October 18th 04, 01:10 PM

"Tony Rickard" > wrote in message . uk>...
> "PK" > wrote in message
> >I have a 2003 156 2.0 JTS. A couple of times recently, an alarm went off -
> >Warning Motor Control System Failure, Go to main dealer. Also, the engine
> >has been spluttering when accelerating - usually in 3rd / 4th gear. Also,
> >the temperature indication in the car (engine temp.) used to read a steady
> >72 degrees C. It now seems to oscillate between 70 and 80 degrees C.
> >
> > The car has been back to a main dealer - they suggested a 'throttle body'
> > problem and replaced this bit. The problem returned on my way home from
> > the garage.......
> >
> > This morning, the car alarmed as I was reversing out of my
> > driveway...........
> >
> > This time, the warning light stayed lit. Driving the car produces clouds
> > of smoke...... I think it'll only go to 25 mph.....

> Back to the dealer I would say, but at least the problem seems permanent
> rather than intermittent which should make diagnosis a lot easier. Certainly
> sounds like an engine management computer problem and it could be running
> way too rich - hence the smoke. I'm no mechanic so someone will probably
> point out this is ********!
>
> Cheers
> Tony

No Tony your not talking ********, what you say is quite possible.
I would say his engine sounds like it is getting to much fuel.
Why I couldn't say.
Black smoke is usually fuel.
Blue smoke is usually oil.
I would not drive it either, get the dealer to pick it up.
A 2003 car is a warranty job, and if you drive it with the fault
warning going off, they could get awkward.
John, UK.
Old October 18th 04, 08:29 PM
PK

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your suggestions!! I also believe that the engine is running too
fuel rich...

Off to the dealer I think..............

BTW, this morning the fault had cleared (Grrrrrr)

PK
om...

Old October 20th 04, 11:21 AM
Joe Ortiz

PK - I'll be very interested to hear what your dealer says. I had this
same fault message as, I now understand, have many JTS drivers. In my
case (very common) the car seemed to be otherwise driving normally and
the fault was put down to faulty lamda sensor wiring.

The original wriring is too close to the exhaust manifold and this
sets off the sensor. Alfa have sent a memo to dealers warning them of
this problem. They can re-locate the wiring which seems to solve the
problem.

But, in your case, the car is obviously sick. I recently heard of this
being diagnosed as a plug coil failure but this only proved a
temporary solution and the car had to have one of the lamda sensors
replaced.

It could also be a problem with the fuel injection system. Other
causes I have seen include the fitting of different air filters or
induction systems which make the MCS throw up its hands in horror
because the airflow sensor gets triggered.

In short, plenty of scope for your friendly Alfa "technician"... Best
regards.

Joe
Old November 22nd 04, 01:41 PM
GaryB

I have the same problem. I went back to the dealer for the sixth time
today - my warranty is still valid. Anyone know a UK dealer that has
fixed this fault ?

Old November 23rd 04, 12:56 AM
Spark

which fault is that?