Celica Stalls Out

Old April 1st 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Celica Stalls Out

I have been away for the past three months.
I own an '88 Celica GT and while I was away I had someone start & run
it (and my other vehicle) once a week for approx 5 min.
When I started it yesterday, (the first time since I arrived home) it
ran for approx 10 min but then stalled out without sputtering as if
it
had the gas turned off.
I could not restart...cranked but it would not turn over.
Tried restarting for the next few hours. No luck.
After fully cooling it restarted without issue and stalled again
after
running approx 10 minutes. Same scenario cranked but would not turn
over. Two hours later, it started and then stalled out after the
motor
warmed.
The same exact thing has happened twice today.
I would appreciate any help.
Also, it is a convertible....Anyone know where I can snag the
convertible-specific repair manuals and releases. I have the 88
Celica
BGB.
Thanks in advance.
Joe

Old April 2nd 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Dan Beaton

) writes:
> I have been away for the past three months.
> I own an '88 Celica GT and while I was away I had someone start & run
> it (and my other vehicle) once a week for approx 5 min.
> When I started it yesterday, (the first time since I arrived home) it
> ran for approx 10 min but then stalled out without sputtering as if
> it
> had the gas turned off.
> I could not restart...cranked but it would not turn over.
> Tried restarting for the next few hours. No luck.
> After fully cooling it restarted without issue and stalled again
> after
> running approx 10 minutes. Same scenario cranked but would not turn
> over. Two hours later, it started and then stalled out after the
> motor
> warmed.
> The same exact thing has happened twice today.
> I would appreciate any help.
> Also, it is a convertible....Anyone know where I can snag the
> convertible-specific repair manuals and releases. I have the 88
> Celica
> BGB.
> Thanks in advance.
> Joe

Three months is enough time for the gas formulation at the pumps to
have changed at least once. Your problem might be solved simply
with a fresh tank.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)
Old April 2nd 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have been away for the past three months.
> I own an '88 Celica GT and while I was away I had someone start & run
> it (and my other vehicle) once a week for approx 5 min.
> When I started it yesterday, (the first time since I arrived home) it
> ran for approx 10 min but then stalled out without sputtering as if
> it
> had the gas turned off.
> I could not restart...cranked but it would not turn over.
> Tried restarting for the next few hours. No luck.
> After fully cooling it restarted without issue and stalled again
> after
> running approx 10 minutes. Same scenario cranked but would not turn
> over. Two hours later, it started and then stalled out after the
> motor
> warmed.
> The same exact thing has happened twice today.
> I would appreciate any help.
> Also, it is a convertible....Anyone know where I can snag the
> convertible-specific repair manuals and releases. I have the 88
> Celica
> BGB.
> Thanks in advance.
> Joe

When the car stalls out you need to check for spark and fuel delivery. See
which one is missing and proceed accordingly.