GTR v1.4 problem - pc keeps shutting down?

Old October 3rd 05, 12:10 PM

Default GTR v1.4 problem - pc keeps shutting down?

Hi all...

I am having a problem with GTR (patched to v1.4) and the pc shutting
down.

Whenever I drive GTR, the sim loads, the sim starts, and I can start
driving, but after a random amount of time, (sometimes within a minute
or so, sometimes after half an hour or so) my pc just locks up and goes
into some sort of suspended mode.

I have checked the pc, and there is no screensaver or power saving mode
(in control panel and in the bios) that is switched on, so the pc should
not be turning itself off, plus this doesn't happen with any other
program, only with GTR?

The only option after this happens is to reboot the pc.

This DOES NOT happen with any other program, game or sim, only with GTR.

My pc is an AMD Barton on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B with 1Gb pc3200 DDR
ram, and a 128Mb Radeon 9600 Pro GRX card (AGP), with 2 x 120Gb SATA
H/D's, using a Hitachi 19" CRT monitor.

I am also using McAfee anti virus and Firewall, and I know there was an
issue with GTR and the McAfee firewall program, so I always turn off the
firewall and GTR runs ok. (Until this pc locking up problem started.

I havea lso tried turning off the anti-virus program but the pc still
locks up after a while.

I used to overclock the cpu and the grx card on this pc, but I have now
put them back to the default settings to make sure its not an
overheating problem (plus, I have six fans in this Antec case!) so I
don't think its an oevr heating problem.

The only mods I have added to GTR is the Brands Hatch track add on and
the dedicated server (for v1.4) add on, and the old RS Escort car add
on.

Anyone have any ideas how to stop this locking up from happening? Thanx

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/
Old October 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
JML

> Whenever I drive GTR, the sim loads, the sim starts, and I can start
> driving, but after a random amount of time, (sometimes within a minute
> or so, sometimes after half an hour or so) my pc just locks up and goes
> into some sort of suspended mode.

Are you sure this is what it does (suspende mode)? I had the same problem,
it was very strange and system locked randomly when ever it felt like it.
After many months of trying to figure it out, I received a message that
helped. I checked my PC with different analyse software (www.lavalys.com =>
Everest home edition there) , noticed that although my display adapter was
AGP it was using for some reason some kind of a "PCI simulation" mode that
was shown in Everest reports detailed adapter information. This effected the
performance so that instead of working in AGP mode, it actually was like 4
times slower using PCI bus.

I clicked on Everest analyse report where the motherboard manufacturer was
mentioned, downloaded a new AGP motherboard driver and simsalabim... months
of problems were solved in couple of minutes.

> This DOES NOT happen with any other program, game or sim, only with GTR.

Same here, only problems with GTR.

Old October 3rd 05, 06:58 PM
Mika Takala

> My pc is an AMD Barton on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe M/B with 1Gb pc3200 DDR
> ram, and a 128Mb Radeon 9600 Pro GRX card (AGP), with 2 x 120Gb SATA
> H/D's, using a Hitachi 19" CRT monitor.

What about your power supply? I would recommend a good quality 300W or 350W
for your pc.

--
Mika Takala

Old October 3rd 05, 09:35 PM
Ratt

Greetings;

For your video card enabling fastwrites in both your bios and in the card
settings is a MUST.

It might be worth running a test on your ram as well - such as memtest.

Regards,

Willard.

Old October 4th 05, 04:06 AM
Bruce

Interesting.
I have just solved a very similar situation....exactly the same
motherboard, running 1.5Gb of DDR400 RAM, and a Leadtek WinFast A6600GT
TDH with 128Mb and 8X AGP.

No lockups or freezing experienced in any Windows application or in GTR
......but as soon as I fired up the GT Legends demo, the system would
freeze anywhere from a couple of minutes to several minutes into the
program.

Power supply (Antec "Quiet" case, 360W, brand-new) checked and all okay.
Memory was tested, all okay.
CPU (AMD Althlon Barton 2800) tested, all okay.
(In fact, the CPU was swapped for my son's CPU (identical system except
for graphics card) and the lock-ups still persisted, so that was a
double-check on the CPU.)

So I popped in my old GeForce ti 4200 128Mb, fired up the PC, went into
GTL and, Lo! and Behold!.....it ran perfectly for ages until I quit out
of it.

Took the Leadtek card back today, exchanged it for another, came home,
popped it in to replace the Ti 4200, fired up the PC and
SHAZAM!.......ran GTL demo until I quit out of it.

Apparently......according to the bloke in the shop.......the defective
card was only being pushed to the point of failure by the graphic
rendering in GTL and not in anything else (not that I am playing much
else other than Grand Prix 3). So it wasn't reaching the stress-point
until a certain combination of "things" occurred in GTL, which is why it
could take from a few minutes up to several minutes.

My suggestion? Borrow another card and see if it still locks up.
If it does, then it's not the graphic card.
If it doesn't, then it points to a defective card.

Bruce.

Old October 4th 05, 04:07 AM
Bruce

[...]

else other than Grand Prix 3 and GTR). So it wasn't reaching the

Old October 4th 05, 05:08 PM
PG

Hmm, fastwrite was enabled (both in the bios and in the gfx card
settings) someone else suggested I turn these OFF.

I turned fastwrites OFF (both in bios and in gfx card settings) and GTR
seems to be ok now (been driving it for about an hour with no probs so far)!

I'll drive GTR for some more time tho and see what happens...

Old October 4th 05, 05:56 PM
JTB

Many would argue the other way, DISabling fastwrites is a MUST.