Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

Old May 15th 19, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

Windows relevance at the end.

Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)

And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**

And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
and that works fine too.)

So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

**In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
recorded so they might play in the order recorded.
Old May 15th 19, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
Big Al[_5_]

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
> Windows relevance at the end.
>
> Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
> rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
> songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
> 181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
> company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
> RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
> recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)
>
> And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
> each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
> correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**
>
> And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
> them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
> played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
> worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
> and that works fine too.)
>
> So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
> key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
> options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
> reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
> or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
> year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.
>
> It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
> field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
> order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
> need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.
>

> **In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
> at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
> reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
> recorded so they might play in the order recorded.

Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
is one that comes to mind.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

Al
Old May 15th 19, 09:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al
> wrote:

>On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
>> Windows relevance at the end.
>>
>> Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
>> rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
>> songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
>> 181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
>> company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
>> RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
>> recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)
>>
>> And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
>> each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
>> correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**
>>
>> And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
>> them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
>> played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
>> worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
>> and that works fine too.)
>>
>> So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
>> key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
>> options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
>> reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
>> or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
>> year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.
>>
>> It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
>> field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
>> order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
>> need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.
>>

>> **In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
>> at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
>> reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
>> recorded so they might play in the order recorded.
>>

>Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
>have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
>is one that comes to mind.

That would work. Is there any problem renaming every file on a flash
drive? Something about not being able to write to the drive too many
times?

Bigger question: Is it going to read the files in the order they are on
the drive? I think the answer must be yes.

Not like the car does and use alphabetical or some other order.

( BTW, the car displays the song number, and it will say first #651 for
example, then 652 next, then 653, even though they're by the same artist
and I know they were not recorded one after the other. )

I installed program, dl'd the manual but the flash drive is in the car
so I'll actually do this later. Thanks. Great idea.

>I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
>certain order too.

In the car I don't want the songs to lull me to sleep, but whatever
works for you.

Old May 15th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
pjp

In article >, NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

> In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al
> > wrote:
>
> >On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
> >> Windows relevance at the end.
> >>
> >> Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
> >> rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
> >> songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
> >> 181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
> >> company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
> >> RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
> >> recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)
> >>
> >> And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
> >> each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
> >> correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**
> >>
> >> And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
> >> them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
> >> played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
> >> worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
> >> and that works fine too.)
> >>
> >> So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
> >> key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
> >> options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
> >> reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
> >> or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
> >> year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.
> >>
> >> It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
> >> field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
> >> order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
> >> need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.
> >>

> >> **In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
> >> at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
> >> reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
> >> recorded so they might play in the order recorded.
> >>

> >Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
> >have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
> >is one that comes to mind.

> That would work. Is there any problem renaming every file on a flash
> drive? Something about not being able to write to the drive too many
> times?

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

It;s a Chrylser 300 RB"x" style stereo btw.
Old May 15th 19, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
Paul[_47_]

micky wrote:
> [...]

> That would work. Is there any problem renaming every file on a flash
> drive? Something about not being able to write to the drive too many
> times?
>
> Bigger question: Is it going to read the files in the order they are on
> the drive? I think the answer must be yes.
>
> Not like the car does and use alphabetical or some other order.
>
> ( BTW, the car displays the song number, and it will say first #651 for
> example, then 652 next, then 653, even though they're by the same artist
> and I know they were not recorded one after the other. )
>
> I installed program, dl'd the manual but the flash drive is in the car
> so I'll actually do this later. Thanks. Great idea.
>
>> I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
>> certain order too.

> In the car I don't want the songs to lull me to sleep, but whatever

You might want to do Properties on the files and see if they have
metadata recorded in them. Or look at the filenames for hints
as to what additional information might be present they could
use for ordering purposes.

If this was my collection, I'd probably edit it in Audacity and
break it into proper sections. But that would be a lot of work.
So each section can play independently (shuffled).

A recording coming over the air shouldn't have metadata (i.e. if
you were recording audio as samples). But the recording program
could be using some method to stamp them after reception (look
them up on an InternetDB somehow and stamp them).

This is a random MP3 I found on my disk drive, selected because
the way it was acquired made it likely to have metadata. This
didn't come in "hot" via streaming or anything. The file was
downloaded from the station site that would normally be
streaming it from their web page. You can see there is "stuff"
inside this file, that a digital player might latch onto for
genre or something. In this case the genre is "podcast".

https://i.postimg.cc/fW9mk69n/mp3-visible-metadata.gif

And I'm only recommending looking for that, if it isn't
apparent what field it is sorting on.

Since the metadata in that file is inside the file, it
will survive transfer to a USB stick and FAT32 and so on.

Paul
Old May 16th 19, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
Mark Blain

At one point I was using a cheap mp3 player that did NO sorting: the
folder playback choices were "random" or "unsorted". As a quick
workaround, I used a program to sort the FAT32 file table itself and
place the files in my preferred order. It sounds like you have the
opposite problem this time around, but given your past history that
program might be a good tool to add to your arsenal.
https://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/
Old May 16th 19, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
slate_leeper[_2_]

On Wed, 15 May 2019 19:34:55 -0300, pjp
> wrote:

>Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
>interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
>includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
>and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
>doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
>than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
>haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
USB.

I add a character (~) to the end of song titles of songs I really
like, and add it twice (~~) to indicate my "top 60" favorites. Since
it is the last character in the field, it does not affect sorting.
After a recent KIA recall software upgrade (apparently unrelated to
the radio at all), the "random" order setting insisted on playing only
those from the Top 60, although those were played in random order. I
had to rename the files on the USB stick to change ~~ to just ~ on
those files, and then reload them all again to get it to work
properly. It reloads all instead of just changed or new files(another
8.5 hours).

Are they using Windows-10 as a software base <grin>?

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.
Old May 16th 19, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Meanie[_3_]

On 5/15/2019 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
> Windows relevance at the end.
>
> Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
> rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
> songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
> 181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
> company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
> RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
> recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)
>
> And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
> each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
> correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**
>
> And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
> them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
> played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
> worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
> and that works fine too.)
>
> So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
> key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
> options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
> reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
> or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
> year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.
>
> It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
> field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
> order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
> need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.
>

> **In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
> at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
> reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
> recorded so they might play in the order recorded.

Just don't play them while in reverse or you'll miss 15 to 20 seconds of
important lyrics.
Old May 16th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
pjp

In article >, lcgh-
says...

> On Wed, 15 May 2019 19:34:55 -0300, pjp
> > wrote:
>
> >Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
> >interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
> >includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
> >and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
> >doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
> >than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
> >haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

> My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
> USB.

Well this Chrylser only took approx 2 hours for 2,200 songs so seems
about same. Therefore I suspect more like I assume both are using USB
1.x and not even USB 2.x.

Just a bit of a drag can't simply play them directly from a flashdrive.
If I want to do that I'd need to use some external player and feed that
into the stereo's aux input. I notice it will also copy cds to the hard
disk. I suspect they'd be stored similar to a wav file and that would
chew up space fast on the small hard disk. I assume it would not do any
automatic compression of any sort so instead of a 5Mb mp3 file you'd end
up with a 50Mb wav file (or similar format). I can live with any slight
quality loss mp4's exibit, at almost 70 and one ear noticably different
in freguency range than the other it's a moot issue.

And just to add, stereo also will display pics but not videos, go
figure.

Old May 16th 19, 09:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

Meanie posted for all of us...

> On 5/15/2019 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
> > Windows relevance at the end.
> >
> > Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
> > rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
> > songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
> > 181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
> > company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
> > RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
> > recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)
> >
> > And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
> > each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
> > correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**
> >
> > And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
> > them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
> > played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
> > worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
> > and that works fine too.)
> >
> > So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
> > key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
> > options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
> > reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
> > or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
> > year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.
> >
> > It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
> > field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
> > order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
> > need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.
> >

> > **In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
> > at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
> > reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
> > recorded so they might play in the order recorded.
> >

> Just don't play them while in reverse or you'll miss 15 to 20 seconds of
> important lyrics.

+1

--
Tekkie