Hello...new to the group and a new C4 owner...my first vette, sonaturally I have a few questions.

Old April 18th 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
furious

Default Hello...new to the group and a new C4 owner...my first vette, sonaturally I have a few questions.

Hello everyone,

I am new in here and new to the world of corvette's, so please forgive
my ignorance if I ask what may be common knowledge for most
concerning vette's, until I get a little better educated.

Just picked my vette up Thursday and made the 7 hour road trip home.
It is a 94 in very nice condition with only 56K miles. After driving
for the last two days, I noticed a few things things that have me
asking the stupid questions.

1. Fuel gauge and fuel tank. I drove 285 miles on the way home before
I stopped to put gas in and the fuel gauge was reading just under 3/4.
When I stopped to fill it up, it only took 12 gallons, which was
accurate after figuring mileage and checking it against the computer
which was averaging 24 mpg. I know the mileage was correct, but I dont
think the tank is that big to reflect the fuel gauge readout. Do these
gauges get stuck at all in one position not allowing it to fall beyond
a certain point, or is my tank bigger than I think...I was thinking it
was 18 or 20 gal. ?

2. Stereo antenna...is it suppose to go up automatically whenever you
turn the radio or key on, or is there a switch to make it go up and
down? Mine doesnt appear to go up or down, so this may need repaired
if there's not a separate switch.

3. Adjustable ride control...how do you know if this is working?

4. What size is the spare rim and tire that came with the car? I think
mine is missing and I would like to get another one to replace it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old April 18th 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"furious" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new in here and new to the world of corvette's, so please
> forgive
> my ignorance if I ask what may be common knowledge for most
> concerning vette's, until I get a little better educated.
>
> Just picked my vette up Thursday and made the 7 hour road trip home.
> It is a 94 in very nice condition with only 56K miles. After driving
> for the last two days, I noticed a few things things that have me
> asking the stupid questions.
>
> 1. Fuel gauge and fuel tank. I drove 285 miles on the way home
> before
> I stopped to put gas in and the fuel gauge was reading just under
> 3/4.
> When I stopped to fill it up, it only took 12 gallons, which was
> accurate after figuring mileage and checking it against the computer
> which was averaging 24 mpg. I know the mileage was correct, but I
> dont
> think the tank is that big to reflect the fuel gauge readout. Do
> these
> gauges get stuck at all in one position not allowing it to fall
> beyond
> a certain point, or is my tank bigger than I think...I was thinking
> it
> was 18 or 20 gal. ?

Don't plan on a 20 gallon tank, don't remember what it is but Corvette
is not known for a large tank. A big tank option in the 60s was an
exception. More than likely the float is sticking, not a hard job to
change on the C4.

> 2. Stereo antenna...is it suppose to go up automatically whenever
> you
> turn the radio or key on, or is there a switch to make it go up and
> down? Mine doesnt appear to go up or down, so this may need repaired
> if there's not a separate switch.

No separate switch and they do need replacing if they are not kept
dry. straight, and clean.

> 3. Adjustable ride control...how do you know if this is working?

Good question, until mine failed I couldn't tell, $500 later I still
couldn't.

> 4. What size is the spare rim and tire that came with the car? I
> think
> mine is missing and I would like to get another one to replace it.

It's a space saver and any proper circumference GM with the right bolt
pattern will work. I use one for my '64 that came from van.

> Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim

Take a minute, hour, whatever, and read http://www.idavette.net/ no
longer kept up to date but lots of background information on Corvette.

Welcome to the madness....

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old April 18th 09, 04:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

Congrats/welcome

furious wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new in here and new to the world of corvette's, so please forgive
> my ignorance if I ask what may be common knowledge for most
> concerning vette's, until I get a little better educated.
>
> Just picked my vette up Thursday and made the 7 hour road trip home.
> It is a 94 in very nice condition with only 56K miles. After driving
> for the last two days, I noticed a few things things that have me
> asking the stupid questions.
>
> 1. Fuel gauge and fuel tank. I drove 285 miles on the way home before
> I stopped to put gas in and the fuel gauge was reading just under 3/4.
> When I stopped to fill it up, it only took 12 gallons, which was
> accurate after figuring mileage and checking it against the computer
> which was averaging 24 mpg. I know the mileage was correct, but I dont
> think the tank is that big to reflect the fuel gauge readout. Do these
> gauges get stuck at all in one position not allowing it to fall beyond
> a certain point, or is my tank bigger than I think...I was thinking it
> was 18 or 20 gal. ?
>
> 2. Stereo antenna...is it suppose to go up automatically whenever you
> turn the radio or key on, or is there a switch to make it go up and
> down? Mine doesnt appear to go up or down, so this may need repaired
> if there's not a separate switch.
>
> 3. Adjustable ride control...how do you know if this is working?
>
> 4. What size is the spare rim and tire that came with the car? I think
> mine is missing and I would like to get another one to replace it.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Jim

Fuel gage: Gas mileage is about right for open
road. Tank is probably 20gal. (check catalog
item at Eckler's) First check the electrical
connectors in the rear wiring harness and at the
tank top. A corroded connection (high
resistance) will cause the indicator to read too
high. If the issue remains, pull the pump,
filter sock & float assembly from the tank.
Open the cover on the variable resistor and
adjust the wiper arm for good contact with the
resistor windings throughout the range of travel
(use an ohmeter to check for smooth operation
before you put everything back together. I
repaired my '89 two years ago and it's been fine
ever since. Alternate is to spend $$$ on a new
pump/float assembly. (While you're there, check
the 'sock' for tears and siphon any sediment
from the tank bottom.) Note: the resistance
element resembles several from other vintage GM
cars and those are available for a small
fraction of an entire float/pump assembly. If
you don't like "messing with watchworks," find
an old-retired auto-electric guy or aviation
electrician to repair the sensor. (This sensor
gets beat up during hard cornering with a
near-empty gas tank.)

Antenna: With original radio, antenna goes up
when radio is turned on. With aftermarket
radio, who knows? If you hear motor running but
antenna doesn't move, it's probably a broken
nylon 'string' in the antenna mast -- *possibly*
you can replace the mast without removing the
antenna from the car. Motor doesn't
run?...check the fuse--also some models had an
antenna relay. New antennas show up at Ecklers
& Mid-America occasionally -- also check eBay.
Google for other parts sources.

Spare size -- my '89 has a 155/80D17. '94 might
be different. Check with a local tire dealer.
Avoid a 'recycled' spare. Once they are 15
years old the rubber is shot. When you install
the spare, check the spare-tire lamp, socket and
wiring/connectors for caked mud, corrosion, etc.
A stray ground in this wiring can cause
mysterious issues with the interior lights
during damp weather.

Buy an owner's manual and a shop manual from
HelmInc.com. (soon before the GM-BK game screws
up vendors like Helm.) Manual will save
money/time on the repairs you do and help you
keep others honest about repair estimates and
what was done.

Join the Corvette Forum -- many excellent
subsections & tips for shortcutting procedures
in the shop manual.

enjoy & wave!
--
pj

Old April 19th 09, 06:30 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
furious

On Apr 18, 10:30*am, pj > wrote:
> [...]

> & Mid-America occasionally -- also check eBay.
> Google for other parts sources.
>
> Spare size -- my '89 has a 155/80D17. *'94 might
> be different. Check with a local tire dealer.
> Avoid a 'recycled' spare. *Once they are 15
> years old the rubber is shot. *When you install
> the spare, check the spare-tire lamp, socket and
> wiring/connectors for caked mud, corrosion, etc.
> * A stray ground in this wiring can cause
> mysterious issues with the interior lights
> during damp weather.
>
> Buy an owner's manual and a shop manual from
> HelmInc.com. (soon before the GM-BK game screws
> up vendors like Helm.) *Manual will save
> money/time on the repairs you do and help you
> keep others honest about repair estimates and
> what was done.
>
> Join the Corvette Forum -- many excellent
> subsections & tips for shortcutting procedures

Thanks for the help guys! I'll do some investigating and order a
manual. It's suppose to rain and possibly snow for the next two days,
so that will give me some time in the garage to check out the issues
at hand. I love my new Vette, and am already addicted. Will try to
post a link with pics of my new baby later. Thanks again,

Jim