Air Conditioner making car stall

Old April 8th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ivan[_9_]

Default Air Conditioner making car stall

I install an AC to my car, works really good, but when it is on, of
course it stall the engine because when the compressor engage, the
engine must be increase the rpm to compensate.

Some one told me, increase the Idle, but I do not like this idea,
another one told me :

The factory air on the early Rabbits and Sciroccos had a small
solenoid valve wired in parallel with the compressor clutch. When the
compressor engaged, the valve vented off the vacuum-retard side of the
distributor, increasing the spark advance.

The valve was a factory part on 1976 through at least 1980 Rabbits and
Sciroccos, It's pretty simple to connect, just two vacuum lines and an
electrical connector.

I spend yesterday looking for this valve on google and without sucess,
then today I call some places but they did not give me anything If I
do not tell them the part number.

If someone can give me a hand I really appreciatte,

Thanks,

Ivan

Karmann Guia Coupe 74. 1600 DP with Dual Kadrons
Old April 10th 10, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

First off are you running a retard/advance distributor on your 1600 DP with
Dual Kadrons?

I am pretty sure my '83 Audi 4000 is running something very similar to what
you want.
Do you want me to look?
I am not sure if I have have extra parts, but I probably do someone stored
many years ago! lol
Even the 1987-1990 Jeep Cherokees have a vacuum solenoid (EGR) that could be
used for this purpose.

Some american vehicles will have a solenoid on their carb that might be used
to push the accelerator lever open some. I can see you modifying this for
use in your car and you don't need vacuum. It would also allow you to
adjust the fast idle to what you want. ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old April 10th 10, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> First off are you running a retard/advance distributor on your 1600 DP with
> Dual Kadrons?
>
> I am pretty sure my '83 Audi 4000 is running something very similar to what
> you want.
> Do you want me to look?
> I am not sure if I have have extra parts, but I probably do someone stored
> many years ago! lol
> Even the 1987-1990 Jeep Cherokees have a vacuum solenoid (EGR) that could be
> used for this purpose.
>
> Some american vehicles will have a solenoid on their carb that might be used
> to push the accelerator lever open some. I can see you modifying this for
> use in your car and you don't need vacuum. It would also allow you to
> adjust the fast idle to what you want. ;-)

My 1970 Chevy Nova 6 cylinder has an idle solenoid like this. It has a
pin that gets pushed out when the solenoid is energized, and it opens
the throttle just slightly to allow the engine to idle. When the
ignition is turned off, the solenoid pin is pushed back in, and the carb
throttle plate closes completely. This is to avoid run-on or dieseling.
The solenoid is not strong enough to actually push the throttle open,
but once you hit the throttle pedal once, it will STAY extended and act
as a throttle stop at idle.

I wired mine to a manual switch to act as a choke. Some previous owner
disabled the automatic choke and there were parts missing. I converted
to manual choke and the solenoid is used to give a slightly higher idle
when the engine is cold. The solenoid is adjustable, you can adjust how
much the pin gets puched out when it energizes.
Old April 11th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jim Ed

On Apr 8, 3:00*pm, Ivan > wrote:
> I install an AC to my car, works really good, but when it is on, of
> course it stall the engine because when the compressor engage, the
> engine must be increase the rpm to compensate.
>
> Some one told me, increase the Idle, but I do not like this idea,

I would set the idle to factory specifications. Then, for a 1973
Beetle, I would increase the idle speed, not the mixture, from 850 --
900 rpm to 1000 rpm.
A lot of enthusiasts do this in hot weather to make the engine run
cooler.

Old April 12th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Ivan[_9_]

On Apr 10, 1:59*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> First off are you running a retard/advance distributor on your 1600 DP with
> Dual Kadrons?
>
> I am pretty sure my '83 Audi 4000 is running something very similar to what
> you want.
> Do you want me to look?
> I am not sure if I have have extra parts, but I probably do someone stored
> many years ago! *lol
> Even the 1987-1990 Jeep Cherokees have a vacuum solenoid (EGR) that could be
> used for this purpose.
>
> Some american vehicles will have a solenoid on their carb that might be used
> to push the accelerator lever open some. *I can see you modifying this for
> use in your car and you don't need vacuum. *It would also allow you to
> adjust the fast idle to what you want. *;-)
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)
>
> "Ivan" > wrote in message

> >I install an AC to my car, works really good, but when it is on, of
> > course it stall the engine because when the compressor engage, the
> > engine must be increase the rpm to compensate.

> > Some one told me, increase the Idle, but I do not like this idea,
> > another one told me :

> > The factory air on the early Rabbits and Sciroccos had a small
> > solenoid valve wired in parallel with the compressor clutch. When the
> > compressor engaged, the valve vented off the vacuum-retard side of the
> > distributor, increasing the spark advance.

> > The valve was a factory part on 1976 through at least 1980 Rabbits and
> > Sciroccos, It's pretty simple to connect, just two vacuum lines and an
> > electrical connector.

> > I spend yesterday looking for this valve on google and without sucess,
> > then today I call some places but they did not give me anything If I
> > do not tell them the part number.

> > If someone can give me a hand I really appreciatte,

> > Thanks,

> > Ivan

> > Karmann Guia Coupe 74. 1600 DP with Dual Kadrons

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to all for the answers, I have original Bosch Vacuum Advance
Distributor, (SVDA). If you want to give your email I can send the
pictures, or if is possible to place the pictures here I would do it,
so tell me how.

About the other idea, the electric solenoid with the pin, I allready
bought two that I found on Ebay, but they are not so strong to open
and maintain the rod in the position that I need.

Ivan

Ivan

GM 2.2L wants to stall [email protected] Technology 6 August 28th 09 08:18 PM
3.3L. Intermittent, brief stall KirkM Chrysler 11 December 15th 08 11:06 AM
over-rev/stall [email protected] Technology 1 September 17th 06 10:56 AM
Almost stall - 94 SL2 Tim Saturn 4 April 22nd 05 04:29 AM
When does car stall ? Ribeldi General 2 May 31st 04 06:03 PM