2000 Honda Civic EX-G (Canadian Model) Exhaust issues **Need Help**

Old June 16th 05, 09:15 PM
Karma

Have a similar problem with 02 Civic.....

http://www.freewebs.com/hondacanadasucks/

Old June 17th 05, 01:37 AM
SoCalMike

Karma wrote:
> Have a similar problem with 02 Civic.....
>
> http://www.freewebs.com/hondacanadasucks/

dude...

ida welded that crack up myself. weld the **** outta it, too. either off
the car, or possibly even on the car...

is it ok to arc weld something like that still on the car? and im a
****ty welder too. LOL.
Old June 17th 05, 04:25 AM
T L via CarKB.com

I have a 98 civic LX here in Winnipeg. At 150000kms, I had my exhaust
manifold replaced on recall. They actually had to pour some kind of solution
on it to see the crack, but once they did that it was very apparent.

As a side note, I do have Honda Plus (well not anymore since I am at
224000kms), but the coverage on this recall was for 8 years or 150000kms. I
have heard that later model years were not covered on this recall.

PS get rid of your Bosch plugs, Honda's hate them. Stick with NGKs, and you
don't even need to go platinum, I found they don't even last as long as they
should in my civic. I also have a K&N filter.

Old June 17th 05, 07:59 PM
Karma

Yeah....weld or get an aftermarket manifold WOULD have been the cheaper
option...BUT Honda needs to step up & admit they have a problem (a
MAJOR problem) with their manifold design. I know of 4 other 2000 &
newer Civic owners with the same problem....Honda covered the cost for
one of them.

http://www.freewebs.com/hondacanadasucks

Old June 20th 05, 02:32 AM
saneboy

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:46:56 -0700, jim beam >
wrote:

>where are the cracks? at the head end or the colder end? where the
>castings have small radius or large? has the vehicle ever been crashed?

Unfortunately, I can only hear the escaping gasses rattling the heat
sheild but, I can't find the crack. I'm hoping I can just have it
welded at this point. The car was rear ended a couple of years ago
('02) but the frame wasn't bent. Even so, I've gotta wonder...

>my money's on the latter - if the vehicle has been crashed & the repair
>incomplete, the engine may not be sitting straight and that will strain
>the exhaust system leading [eventually] to cracking.
>
>excess back pressure or temperature are /most/ unlikely. chances are,
>your manifold is cast and the main reasons castings are used in this
>location is precisely because of ability to withstand heat. even if the
>exhaust is extremely blocked, there is little practical ability to
>create excess pressure sufficient to crack a manifold because the
>engine stops running first.

The manifold is cast. I'm going to take it to a muffler shop this
week for someone to have a look at. Luckily I have a friend who has a
friend who owns a reputable shop. Hope he'll introduce me.

saneboy.