1994 Accord A/C pretty useless

Old June 18th 05, 12:25 AM
Dee

Default 1994 Accord A/C pretty useless

My 1994 Accord EX 4-door has ATROCIOUS a/c and has since I bought it 8 years
ago. I had it charged, but that didn't help in the least. The compressor
does kick in, but all I get is barely cool air, and only then when I'm
driving at highway speed and the ambient temp is 85° or less. Not much need
for it in that case.

From what I've heard and read, I'm not the only one with a bad a/c in a '94
Accord. What are people doing to remedy the problem, short of buying a new
system? If I *do* have to buy a new system, what would you recommend and
approximately how much will that set me back?

Old June 18th 05, 12:48 AM
Professor

There are numerous reasons a fully charged A/C unit doesn't blow cool
air... ranging from system moisture... to blockages... and let's not
forget feeble compressors. I think you need to take it somewhere you
trust to get an accurate diagnosis.

Professor
Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electronics.com

Old June 18th 05, 01:05 AM
Dee

I had it checked over at the dealership but they found nothing wrong with
it. Last year I read about problems with the heater control valve, so I got
that replaced. The blower is new, too (not that that would affect its
cooling ability). I'm stumped.

oups.com...

Old June 18th 05, 02:18 AM
motsco_ _

Dee wrote:
> I had it checked over at the dealership but they found nothing wrong with
> it. Last year I read about problems with the heater control valve, so I got
> that replaced. The blower is new, too (not that that would affect its
> cooling ability). I'm stumped.

------------------

The '94 doesn't have a changeable Cabin Filter, does it? It makes an
incredible difference when you change it on a CR-V.

'Curly'

Old June 18th 05, 03:07 PM
E Meyer

On 6/17/05 6:25 PM, in article ,
"Dee" > wrote:

> My 1994 Accord EX 4-door has ATROCIOUS a/c and has since I bought it 8 years
> ago. I had it charged, but that didn't help in the least. The compressor
> does kick in, but all I get is barely cool air, and only then when I'm
> driving at highway speed and the ambient temp is 85° or less. Not much need
> for it in that case.

If you only get cooling when running at highway speed, that sounds like the
radiator fan(s) might not be running when the AC is turned on. Start the
motor, turn on the AC, open the hood and see if at least one of the fans on
the radiator is running. If not, that's your problem.

Old June 18th 05, 07:35 PM
Dee

Radiator fan is going strong. The air from the vents is barely cold. Very
frustrating....

Old June 18th 05, 09:17 PM
Professor

What are your high and low side pressures? Waht is the ambient that the
pressures were taken?

Professor
Check out FlashAlert at www.telstar-electronics.com

Old June 19th 05, 12:44 AM
R. P.

"Dee" > wrote:

> My 1994 Accord EX 4-door has ATROCIOUS a/c and has since I bought it 8
> years
> ago. I had it charged, but that didn't help in the least. The
> compressor
> does kick in, but all I get is barely cool air, and only then when I'm
> driving at highway speed and the ambient temp is 85° or less. Not much
> need
> for it in that case.

It's the same thing with my '94 Accord LX. The A/C is pretty
ineffective and on shorter trips I don't even bother with it because I
get to my destination before the A/C makes any difference, except making
the engine more sluggish and burning more fuel.

Rudy