What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 08:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

"Tekkie®" > wrote in message
> RS Wood posted for all of us...
>

>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have
>> never
>> done?
>>
>> Mine are, in this order of "I wish I could do it" order
>> 1. painting
>> 2. alignment
>> 3. replace/rebuild engine
>> 4. clutch replacement
>> 5. tire mounting and balancing
>> 6. timing belt
>> 7. head gasket and vcg
>>
>> I've done electrical, brakes, shocks, cooling systems, alternators,
>> ujoints, pitman/idler arms & tie-rod ends and ball joints, tuneups,
>> emissions hoses and sensors, exhaust, electrical components, fuel pumps,
>> and fluids, but not the six things above.
>>
>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have
>> never
>> done?

> I have done all except #3.
>
> The worst job I consider is exhaust. I guess that has diminished these
> days.
>
> The hardest is being a good diagnostician.

Diagnostics can be challenging when *EVERYTHING* rattles.................

Old November 6th 17, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 7/11/2017 2:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/6/2017 12:28 AM, Xeno wrote:

>>> For me, I get a new car when the old car has a repair that isn't worth
>>> paying. That's less likely nowadays as I'm retired on a low budget.
>>>

>> I've been buying new cars since retirement - two last year.
>>

> Never bought two in one yer even when my wife was still driving.Â* She
> usually got my hand me down.Â* I just bought a new car two weeks ago.Â* I
> honestly can't give you a valid reason for doing so other than I like
> the color better.
>
> The guy that gets my old one with 38k miles is getting a real cream puff.

My wife pressured me for a new one last year. Bought her one, then
traded mine a month later. She's done 14k kilometres in hers, I'm up to
35k kilometres already.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 7/11/2017 2:42 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 11:48 PM, RS Wood wrote:
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>>> Not just mufflers any more.Â* They were smart enough to evolve into other
>>> auto services like brakes, shocks, and the like.Â* As cars get more
>>> sophisticated the more you have to rely on the dealer also.Â* My Genesis
>>> was dealer service because the local guy could not get the right oil
>>> filter for it.Â* The NAPA nest door did not carry it as it is a low
>>> volume item.

>> I agree on Midas Muffler because they do other stuff and there is no way
>> they're staying in business on just mufflers nowadays.
>>
>> I disagree on the dealer being required for anything.
>>
>> To me, the dealer is whom you go to when you're under the original
>> factory
>> warranty and then that's the last time you ever go do the dealer.
>>
>> I have nothing against the dealer except one thing, which is why they're
>> called the 'stealer'. But that's a biggie.
>>
>> The only other reason you go to the dealer is to buy parts that they
>> might
>> stock where you need them now (e.g., you broke a bolt or forget a gasket
>> and you're in the middle of the job) but expect to pay more than
>> double for
>> those parts than anywhere else.
>>
>> I go to an indy for alignment and clutch and tires, etc., where I
>> couldn't
>> imagine payking the price for the same job at the dealer.

> Any shop can do a starter, water pump, but most don't have the expertise
> for some of the electronics.Â* Dealer may be 1 hour at $75 versus the
> indy at $50 but takes three hours to figure out the problem.Â* If my
> adaptive cruise control stopped working I'm not trusting the corner gas
> station.

True that. The indy doesn't have access to all the needed info for a
start. Nor the dealer training. They are both important.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/...pdf?sequence=1
>>> Not to denigrate the GOOD engineers out there - but he sure thinks
>>> like a typical engineer - - - One with no practical experience and a
>>> "god complex" only exceded by orthopedic surgeons.
>>>

>> Intelligent people question
>> Arrogant people think the know everything.

> I've always said it's what you learn AFTER you know it all that
> REALLY counts - - -

I only really started learning *after* I completed my apprenticeship -
and I've never stopped learning ever since.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 08:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 7/11/2017 3:49 AM, RS Wood wrote:
> The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> I regard dust as a protective coating.

> That was a good one.
> Mind if I borrow it when my wife asks me to clean up the house?

Wouldn't work here. My wife is anal about dust.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 08:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 7/11/2017 3:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/6/2017 10:20 AM, RS Wood wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Fractionally more than you. I watch the news on TV. That's it.

>> I get my news off the net.
>>
>> But someone must be watching TV or cable (I don't have cable either).
>>
>> My point is only that people spend time watching TV so they can't say
>> that
>> taking your sweet time doing an oil change is wasted time if they're
>> wasting time watching "As the World Turns" all day.
>>

> People that do not have a TV tend to have a superiority complex.Â* Sure,
> 95% of it is crap, but there are some excellent shows on History,
> Discovery, Science that will broaden your horizons and educate you about
> the rest of the world.

I have a TV, I also have cable. They are for my wife.

I watch docos, etc on the internet. I prefer to schedule my own viewing.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 08:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 7/11/2017 6:32 AM, Tekkie® wrote:
> RS Wood posted for all of us...
>

>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never
>> done?
>>
>> Mine are, in this order of "I wish I could do it" order
>> 1. painting
>> 2. alignment
>> 3. replace/rebuild engine
>> 4. clutch replacement
>> 5. tire mounting and balancing
>> 6. timing belt
>> 7. head gasket and vcg
>>
>> I've done electrical, brakes, shocks, cooling systems, alternators,
>> ujoints, pitman/idler arms & tie-rod ends and ball joints, tuneups,
>> emissions hoses and sensors, exhaust, electrical components, fuel pumps,
>> and fluids, but not the six things above.
>>
>> What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never
>> done?

> I have done all except #3.
>
> The worst job I consider is exhaust. I guess that has diminished these days.
>
> The hardest is being a good diagnostician.

That is the easiest providing you have a good understanding of the
underlying systems, possess a good range of diagnostic equipment and,
finally, know how to use it. For judgemental issues, know first what is
*normal*, then you can easily recognise *abnormal*.

--

Xeno
Old November 6th 17, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 9:32:04 AM UTC-10, Tekkie® wrote:

> I have done all except #3.
>
> The worst job I consider is exhaust. I guess that has diminished these days.
>
> The hardest is being a good diagnostician.
>
> --
> Tekkie

Diagnosing is pretty tough. You have to understand how automotive systems work and how the systems interact. Some of the stuff people come up with here are totally off the wall. It's nutty as hell.