1990 needs new shocks...

Old August 24th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Pinot

Default 1990 needs new shocks...

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Well I have to disagree or at least add a note here as to the ease of
> this job (a snap?).

Could you elaborate a little, or maybe provide a link?

--
Pinot
Old August 24th 08, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Miata.net garage has multiple links, see he
http://www.miata.net/garage/garagehandling.html

Chris
99BBB

Old August 24th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Pinot

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Miata.net garage has multiple links, see he
> http://www.miata.net/garage/garagehandling.html

Thanks. I should have known.

--
Pinot
Old August 24th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5? 1990 needs new shocks...

On Aug 23, 10:04*pm, "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
> Maybe now I see why you (Gary) referred to changing the shocks as a snap.
> You replaced springs and shocks and I'm assuming that they came mounted. In
> that case it could make sense but keep in mind the OP was talking about
> replacing shocks. By themselves they're actually a much bigger job.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> > wrote in message

> On Aug 20, 7:10 am, wrote:
>

> > On Aug 19, 6:32 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > I'm taking a hard look at the Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5 kit.

> > > For $1,064, you get FM springs, Tokico Illumina shocks, FM antiroll
> > > bars, shock mounts (to increase suspension travel at the rear) and
> > > better bumpstops for the front.

> > > Anyone done the whole kit? Or used the FM springs, or the Tokico shocks?

> > > --
> > > Alan Baker
> > > Vancouver, British Columbia
> > > <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

> > Did the FM Stage 1 kit. Love the AGX shocks. Springs lowered the car
> > nicely, but were less stiff than I would like. If I ever change them,
> > would talk with the techs at FM re stiffer springs.

> > Gary

> Just went to the FM website and noticed the Stage 1 now comes with the
> Tokico Illumina shocks. It’s been a few years…..
>
> Gary

Sorry, I was not trying to mislead anyone. I am not a mechanic. If I
can do the job solo in my garage alone with no power tools in 4 hours
with directions printed from miata.net, it can’t be to hard. (ymmv).
No the shocks from FM were not pre-mounted.

The spring compressor was needed only to remove the stock units. After
disassembly, I assembled the new units (a workbench with clamps is
helpful during this process) and installed without need of the
compressor. Don’t forget to reinstall the white washer at the top of
the front units. (Did that on the first one…oops.)

Gary

Old August 25th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2008-08-25, Jim > wrote:
> "Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:
>
>>Well I have to disagree or at least add a note here as to the
>>ease of this job (a snap?).

[...]

> The first time I changed my shocks (and springs), I had never
> done anything more complicated on a car than replacing the
> plug wires. I used the write ups on miata.net and advice from
> Flyin' Miata. It took me most of the weekend but I was able
> to do it by myself. The hardest thing was figuring out
> exactly what to hit with the hammer to open the ball joint. I
> only had to run out for one thing, a socket big enough to fit
> the spring compressor I was using.

I replaced shocks in an NA using the split-the-ball-joint
method documented on a couple different web sites. I've done a
bit of auto stuff (I'd replaced shocks before and even torn
down, rebuilt, and swapped an engine). It took me pretty much
an entire weekend to do 4 shocks. I'd say it could be done by
anybody who can use hand-tools and follow directions, but I
woldn't call it a "snap". It's 10-20 hours of hard work, and
there are a couple times when a second pair of hands is awfully
helpful.

It's also not without opportunity for injury: having a car up
on ramps and messing about with spring compressors both need to
be done with care.

Next time I think I'm paying somebody else to do it.

--
Grant

Old August 25th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Jim > wrote:

> The hardest
> thing was figuring out exactly what to hit with the hammer to open the
> ball joint.

The hardest part for me was not owning a big enough hammer. Working
alone with only hand tools, it took four hours to do all four, half of
which was spent cranking the stupid spring compressor. And that included
drilling out four top mounts for Konis, multiple "hydration" breaks in
95? heat, and cleaning up a very messy undertray while it was off.

Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with any frozen fasteners, which can
add days to the process.

Before you start, make sure you have a 14mm deepwell socket for the
upper mount nuts, and spare cotter pins if you use the Bigger Hammer
method. Note that you don't actually separate the balljoint, merely
detach the balljoint assembly from the upright. And a 5-pound hammer
will bust it loose in one or two strokes, while a carpenter hammer won't
do squat. Tape the white upper mount gaskets to the fenders as you
remove them, so they dangle into your way, or you'll almost certainly
forget at least one of them later!

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old August 25th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
adventuremyk

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:32:27 GMT, Alan Baker >
wrote:

>I'm taking a hard look at the Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5 kit.
>
>For $1,064, you get FM springs, Tokico Illumina shocks, FM antiroll
>bars, shock mounts (to increase suspension travel at the rear) and
>better bumpstops for the front.
>
>Anyone done the whole kit? Or used the FM springs, or the Tokico shocks?

This is precisely the set-up that I had on my '93 but I had it well
before they started packaging it as a kit. I also had a few of the
Flyin Miata chassis braces and added the rear cross-bar that was
standard on the '94+ models (mostly to hold in a JL Stealth Box)

The Illumina's are great with 1 being a little softer than stock, 2
being about stock, then dial it down to 'pool table with the wheels
bolted on' if that is your pleasure. A little fiddling with the sway
bars and alignments and it was dialed in right were I wanted it;
mostly neutral but a slight drop of throttle would let the tail start
to rotate and it was easily held with the throttle. I used this
set-up for around 10 years including a few thousand miles of hard
track use at Sebring Raceway.

Swapping the swaybars takes less time to do than simply pulling out
the tools to do it. It's a breeze! I can't think of how many sets I
have done. I did have a shop put the shocks/springs in as they had
the tools for it that I didn't.

For my '96 I did nearly the same thing (no rear perches) and went with
the KYB-AGX series instead of the Illumina's. I regretted it from the
moment I drove away. The wet-sponge sounds while the shocks were cold
drove me nuts and no matter th setting they never quite seemed to have
a balanced rebound/compression setting. It seemed like they were set
up for a heavier car with stiffer springs (softer compression but too
much rebound).

Be aware of one factor if you choose to do this swap: If you do not
plan to upgrade the brakes and power along the same time-lines you
might find the car looses some of the 'fun factor' that it has with
the stock suspension. Why? It turns and sticks so bloody well that
you will forever be thinking that you are down on power. The attitude
turns serious and the playful nature is gone. Tossing the tail out on
an onramp is no longer a random act but something you have to think
about as it will take a high speed or dramatic flick of the wheel to
get it to do it. Even then it hooks right back up. It is a great
set-up for autocross and track days, even for hard running on the
winding back roads, but the car almost becomes too serious compared to
why I bought it. For the record, I never changed away from the stock
wheels that came on my '93 B-pkg, and stayed with either the stock 185
or a +1 to 195 tires depending on the season. I alway stayed same
front to rear.

(You may not want to read this) Lastly, if you choose to dial that
same suspension in and find yourself smiling as you rail at absolutely
rediculous speeds through situations you just don't think should be
possible, you may think you have reached the top of the handling food
chain.. I knew it was up there, right up until I bought a Lotus Elise
with the Lotus Sport Suspension package. After that, my beloved,
braced, sorted suspension best friend that I had for 14 years felt,
for all the world, like driving an Expedition with 4 flat tires...
Old August 28th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

You had to go and do it, didn't you ;-) You smug bas_ _ rd you! I'm SO
jealous!

Chris
99BBB

Old August 29th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
adventuremyk

Default Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5? 1990 needs new shocks... - Ellie-FrontRight-800.jpg (0/1)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:49:33 -0500, "Chris D'Agnolo"
> wrote:

>You had to go and do it, didn't you ;-) You smug bas_ _ rd you! I'm SO
>jealous!

There might not be an easy way to say it, but if I had a clean sheet
of paper (and a better hand at drawing) the Elise is about 90% of what
I would have designed myself. I might have opted to something with a
little more torque and a little different in the windshield to hoop
relationship (for wind reasons) but short of a 2.4 liter V6 (ala Dino
246 GTS) it's about perfect.

For mid-$30's (don't buy it new, for heaven's sake, don't buy it new!)
you get a car with insurance that is $20 per month more than what I
was paying on my '93 Miata, low 30's for gas mileage, and a trunk that
is pretty close in size to the Miata's. The fun factor for the Miata
was great, in the 14 years I had my 2nd (of 3) I never had a day that
I walked out and wasn't happy to own it. With the Elise, I see the
same relationship over the next 14-15 years. Besides, the Lotus has a
LOT more leg room and is actually significantly more comfortable,
especially on long trips (TN to Fla happens often in this car). What's
not to like?

The pic is atop Norris Dam just north of Knoxville (about 12 minutes
from my house).

Old September 1st 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Default Flyin' Miata Stage 2.5? 1990 needs new shocks... - Ellie-FrontRight-800.jpg (1/1)

Now you really are killing me! More glowing reports on the little beast,
eh?! Man, I'd almost die to have one! Is the trunk space really that good?
That's a pretty big issue with me as the NB's just about the minimum trunk
space I can live with in a weekend get-away vehicle. For me it's mostly fine
for a daily driver.

You know, that car's so good looking it even makes Red look good ;-)

Enjoy, you fortunate dog!

Shocks Frank Berger Mazda 8 August 29th 07 05:28 AM
Shocks BAK Mazda 10 July 18th 06 04:05 AM
shocks kclandy Honda 5 October 22nd 05 03:31 AM
Self-leveling Shocks vs. Gas Shocks Scott BMW 6 September 14th 05 07:57 AM
525 shocks Mike G BMW 13 November 25th 04 07:10 PM