1995 SL2 EGR Valve

Old May 5th 05, 03:32 PM
nicolaou michael via CarKB.com

Default 1995 SL2 EGR Valve

I've got a '95 SL2 with 106k miles that stalls frequently and periodically
causes the check engine light to come on. Car is automatic.

As I am driving I'll notice a "hiccup" as I release the accel. and then if
I come to a stop it will stall out at about 10mph. I can sometimes get
past the stall by flooring the acclerator in gear or in neutral. I know
this is hard on the belts and not efficient for my milage.

About 8 years ago when I inherited the car this problem first occurred and
the dealer replaced the EGR valve. About 3 years later it occurred again,
same result.

I heard you can disconnect the vacum hose on the egr and plug it up and
this might resolve the issue. Is this true? Will it cause any issues
short term or long term.

Or do I have to replace the EGR valve myself?
Old May 5th 05, 07:25 PM
Bob Shuman

EGR is easy to replace so you can certainly do it yourself. You may also
want to fix the reason for it clogging so soon. Does it burn oil? have you
replaced the PCV valve lately? Also, when you change the EGR, make sure you
clean the passageways on the manifolds.

Do not try to defeat the valve as this will most certainly set the SES light
and will also cause you to exceed NOx emissions.

Bob