ION rear pass door shudder noise

Old July 19th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Default ION rear pass door shudder noise

I notice that at speeds around 40mph the rear passenger door on my '07 ION
makes a shuddering noise like helicopter blades. If I roll down that window,
the noise becomes really loud, chop!, chop!, chop!!!! .... at first I
thought that I had a bad bubble in the tire, but the tire is ok, the car is
brand new.

I had the shop check it out, they say that this is "normal" wind
reverberation, I say bullisht to that. It only comes from that side. There
is no physical vibration at all, just the noise.

Has anyone else had this noise occur with thiser ION and have you had it
fixed? What is it and other than playing my radio real what is the cure? TIA

--
marx404

Old July 19th 07, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

bad grammar, sorry.

Old July 19th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
tom

marx404 wrote:
> bad grammar, sorry.
>

> "marx404" > wrote in message
>> I notice that at speeds around 40mph the rear passenger door on my '07 ION
>> makes a shuddering noise like helicopter blades. If I roll down that
>> window, the noise becomes really loud, chop!, chop!, chop!!!! .... at first
>> I thought that I had a bad bubble in the tire, but the tire is ok, the car
>> is brand new.
>>
>> I had the shop check it out, they say that this is "normal" wind
>> reverberation, I say bullisht to that. It only comes from that side. There
>> is no physical vibration at all, just the noise.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this noise occur with thiser ION and have you had it
>> fixed? What is it and other than playing my radio real what is the cure?
>> TIA
>>

>> --
>> marx404

i have had a few cars that when one or more windows down at speed it
would give that loud chopping sound, but it would go away with the
windows up. it seemed to vary with conditions like passing cars etc.
Old July 20th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

this is with all windows up.

--
marx404

Old July 24th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Did you find the problem? I got the same shuddering noise as soon as I
reach 40MPH with a peak at 50MPH. The noise suddenly disappear around
55MPH. I thought it was my gaz tank door that was vibrating....it is
not :-( I have a 05 ION. Would you please let me know if you know
how to solve this. I search the web and you are the only one I found
that seem to have the same problem.
Thanks
Max

Old July 26th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

I have been playing around and sealing off the door seams with blue painters
tape, then driving to see if I can isolate the noise. A search on
saturnfans.com showed that there are a few who have it and call it "wind
buffeting", a natural occurance due to the shape of the car. However, My
door actually frigen "rattles" at 40 mph!

I am going to keep trying he tape until I isolate the noise, then I will
insist that the shop takes my door off and checks to make sure that polymer
panel isnt loose or what BlaBla says.

--
marx404

Old July 30th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I have found the problem on my car and i wish it will help you with
yours. The seal under the second section of the roof molding (rear
passenger side). Mine had completely disappeared under the molding so
the molding was free to vibrate.
You have to compare the seals of both side of your car to notice that
there is a little difference in their position. The seal is stuck
there by a double faced sticker that seems to dry under the heat. In
my case i think i displace the seal (which is obviously a cheap one)
by washing the car with a pressure washer. I wish you understand my
English and it will help you.

Old September 4th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Thank you, that's exactly what it was, it took the idiot techs weeks to
figure it out. I finally had one ride in the car with me, pointed out the
noise he said he "didn't hear" before and then they figured it out. After
reading about it here & on SaturnFans.com I told the techs long ago it was
the appliqué on that side, they had to "investigate first before discovering
I was right. Thanks all for the help.

marx404

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have found the problem on my car and i wish it will help you with
> yours. The seal under the second section of the roof molding (rear
> passenger side). Mine had completely disappeared under the molding so
> the molding was free to vibrate.
> You have to compare the seals of both side of your car to notice that
> there is a little difference in their position. The seal is stuck
> there by a double faced sticker that seems to dry under the heat. In
> my case i think i displace the seal (which is obviously a cheap one)
> by washing the car with a pressure washer. I wish you understand my
> English and it will help you.

Odd Popping Noise From Rear Axle (2000 323i E46 4-door) [email protected] BMW 4 May 7th 07 11:12 AM
93 Civic DX pass. door lock tab broken?! Creative minds needed! thekobra Honda 4 March 28th 06 01:24 PM
rear end noise Herbie Jeep 4 June 26th 05 06:21 PM
Noise from rear on a 63 Gunnar Corvette 3 January 24th 05 11:57 PM
Need: Pass. Door Handle 86 Cabby Mike Hellmund VW water cooled 3 September 26th 04 07:20 PM