1996 Concorde Wipers Stopped Working

Old July 3rd 05, 02:30 PM
Arnie Goetchius

Default 1996 Concorde Wipers Stopped Working

The wipers blades stopping moving but I can hear the wiper motor
operating. It will go through the various speeds as I change the
control. It is as if some linked slipped off the motor so it no longer
drives the wiper arms. Any ideas how to fix this? How do I get to the
wiper motor?
Old July 3rd 05, 02:52 PM
maxpower

"Arnie Goetchius" > wrote in message
> The wipers blades stopping moving but I can hear the wiper motor
> operating. It will go through the various speeds as I change the
> control. It is as if some linked slipped off the motor so it no longer
> drives the wiper arms. Any ideas how to fix this? How do I get to the
> wiper motor?

That's exactly what happened, the linkage fell off the motor, there are 2 of
them used for this year vehicle, I recommend replacing both of them. The
last time I checked with our parts department the only way Chrysler sold
them was complete linkage.
Check with an aftermarket parts supplier to see if you can just buy the
grommets to reinstall them.
Its an easy job to do.
NOTE: if you decide to do it yourself make sure you have the key in the off
position, or the wiper motor disconnected, if you move the motor position
with your hand, the wiper motor may turn on unexpectedly and this will cause
severe damage to a hand or finger.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 3rd 05, 04:49 PM
Arnie Goetchius

maxpower wrote:
> "Arnie Goetchius" > wrote in message
>
>>The wipers blades stopping moving but I can hear the wiper motor
>>operating. It will go through the various speeds as I change the
>>control. It is as if some linked slipped off the motor so it no longer
>>drives the wiper arms. Any ideas how to fix this? How do I get to the
>>wiper motor?

> That's exactly what happened, the linkage fell off the motor, there are 2 of
> them used for this year vehicle, I recommend replacing both of them. The
> last time I checked with our parts department the only way Chrysler sold
> them was complete linkage.
> Check with an aftermarket parts supplier to see if you can just buy the
> grommets to reinstall them.
> Its an easy job to do.
> NOTE: if you decide to do it yourself make sure you have the key in the off
> position, or the wiper motor disconnected, if you move the motor position
> with your hand, the wiper motor may turn on unexpectedly and this will cause
> severe damage to a hand or finger.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Thanks for responding. I need a little more help before I start this
operation. It appears that I have to do the following in order to access
the wiper motor:

1. Disconnect wiper washer hose - no problem

2. Remove wiper arms from post - Can't figure out how to get the wiper
arms off the post

3. Remove the plastic cowling held in place by 8 screws. -- should be no
problem

At this point the motor and linkages should be exposed. Is that correct
or is there something else I need to do?

TIA

Arnie Goetchius
Old July 4th 05, 05:25 PM
Arnie Goetchius

maxpower wrote:
> "Arnie Goetchius" > wrote in message
>
>>The wipers blades stopping moving but I can hear the wiper motor
>>operating. It will go through the various speeds as I change the
>>control. It is as if some linked slipped off the motor so it no longer
>>drives the wiper arms. Any ideas how to fix this? How do I get to the
>>wiper motor?

> That's exactly what happened, the linkage fell off the motor, there are 2 of
> them used for this year vehicle, I recommend replacing both of them. The
> last time I checked with our parts department the only way Chrysler sold
> them was complete linkage.
> Check with an aftermarket parts supplier to see if you can just buy the
> grommets to reinstall them.
> Its an easy job to do.
> NOTE: if you decide to do it yourself make sure you have the key in the off
> position, or the wiper motor disconnected, if you move the motor position
> with your hand, the wiper motor may turn on unexpectedly and this will cause
> severe damage to a hand or finger.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

I got everything off now. The grommet on the main link is the problem.
Not the one at the motor but the one at the other end of the arm that
connects to the blade arm. The grommet is about 3/4" in diameter. I
could not find one in any of the after market stores (Pepboys and a
local guy). I guess I'll have to go to Chrysler tomorrow to get the
complete link.
Old July 4th 05, 08:58 PM
maxpower

"Arnie Goetchius" > wrote in message

> maxpower wrote:
> > "Arnie Goetchius" > wrote in message
> >
> >>The wipers blades stopping moving but I can hear the wiper motor
> >>operating. It will go through the various speeds as I change the
> >>control. It is as if some linked slipped off the motor so it no longer
> >>drives the wiper arms. Any ideas how to fix this? How do I get to the
> >>wiper motor?

> > That's exactly what happened, the linkage fell off the motor, there are

2 of
> > them used for this year vehicle, I recommend replacing both of them.

The
> > last time I checked with our parts department the only way Chrysler sold
> > them was complete linkage.
> > Check with an aftermarket parts supplier to see if you can just buy the
> > grommets to reinstall them.
> > Its an easy job to do.
> > NOTE: if you decide to do it yourself make sure you have the key in the

off
> > position, or the wiper motor disconnected, if you move the motor

position
> > with your hand, the wiper motor may turn on unexpectedly and this will

cause
> > severe damage to a hand or finger.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech
> >

> I got everything off now. The grommet on the main link is the problem.
> Not the one at the motor but the one at the other end of the arm that
> connects to the blade arm. The grommet is about 3/4" in diameter. I
> could not find one in any of the after market stores (Pepboys and a
> local guy). I guess I'll have to go to Chrysler tomorrow to get the
> complete link.

Get both links, the other link will come off next