EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

Old November 10th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D3375

I was using one of these ‘cheese grater’ tail pipe dress up
accessories. It rusted the ends of my stainless steel stock
peashooter tail pipes.

I got most of the rust off except for a few specs with Naval Jelly and
by rubbing lightly with steel wool.

Then I polished them with Brasso brass, copper, and chromium polish.

Then I applied some McGuires wax/polish.

The Naval Jelly slightly tarnished and discolored the pipes a little,
but now they look almost as good as new.
Old November 10th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message
EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D3375

I was using one of these ‘cheese grater’ tail pipe dress up
accessories. It rusted the ends of my stainless steel stock
peashooter tail pipes.

I got most of the rust off except for a few specs with Naval Jelly and
by rubbing lightly with steel wool.

Then I polished them with Brasso brass, copper, and chromium polish.

Then I applied some McGuires wax/polish.

The Naval Jelly slightly tarnished and discolored the pipes a little,
but now they look almost as good as new.

---------

if you find yourself in that situation again, try "The Works tub&shower
cleaner" or "CLR"... The Works is better. won't harm the SS and will disolve
the rust stain nearly instantly.

Old November 10th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John J[_3_]

wrote:
> EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

It's the end of the world!

So, was it rust from the cheese grater that stained the stainless-steel
pipes?
Old November 10th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 10, 11:41*am, John J > wrote:
> wrote:
> > EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

> It's the end of the world!
>
> So, was it rust from the cheese grater that stained the stainless-steel
> pipes?

Heh, heh, heh!

Yes, I think it was from a combination of engine heat, water, and the
less than pefect Chinese chrome.
Old November 10th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 10, 9:51*am, wrote:
> On Nov 10, 11:41*am, John J > wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> > > EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!

> > It's the end of the world!

> > So, was it rust from the cheese grater that stained the stainless-steel
> > pipes?

> Heh, heh, heh!
>
> Yes, I think it was from a combination of engine heat, water, and the
> less than pefect Chinese chrome.

Any friction contact with carbon steel will cause carbide
precipitation and allow stainless to rust. The cheese grater contact
most likely caused the rust. Polishing it after the steel wool may
prevent it, but steel wool alone will ruin the stainless unless it is
passivated after to remove the carbon/iron.
http://www.ssina.com/view_a_file/cleaning.pdf
Old November 11th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> > wrote in message
> EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!
>

> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D3375
>
> I was using one of these ‘cheese grater’ tail pipe dress up
> accessories. It rusted the ends of my stainless steel stock
> peashooter tail pipes.
>
> I got most of the rust off except for a few specs with Naval Jelly and
> by rubbing lightly with steel wool.
>
> Then I polished them with Brasso brass, copper, and chromium polish.
>
> Then I applied some McGuires wax/polish.
>
> The Naval Jelly slightly tarnished and discolored the pipes a little,
> but now they look almost as good as new.
>
> ---------
>
> if you find yourself in that situation again, try "The Works tub&shower
> cleaner" or "CLR"... The Works is better. won't harm the SS and will disolve
> the rust stain nearly instantly.

Or if you are a cheapskate like me, try Coke and crumpled up tin foil.
Regular, not diet coke. Buy a 2 or 3 liter bottle, the leftover coke can
be disposed of with some dark rum.....

Jan
Old November 11th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jan Andersson" > wrote in message

> Or if you are a cheapskate like me, try Coke and crumpled up tin foil.

a bottle of "the works" is a dollar at most dollar stores... about a buck
fifty at wally world...

> Regular, not diet coke. Buy a 2 or 3 liter bottle, the leftover coke can
> be disposed of with some dark rum.....
>
> Jan

well, you got point there... the left over cleaner can really only come in
handy in the toilet or tub...LOL

Old November 11th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Jan Andersson wrote:
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> EMPI STOCK TAIL PIPE DRESS-UP - CHEESE GRATER Rusts Tail Pipes!
>>

>> http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D3375
>>
>> I was using one of these ‘cheese grater’ tail pipe dress up
>> accessories. It rusted the ends of my stainless steel stock
>> peashooter tail pipes.
>>
>> I got most of the rust off except for a few specs with Naval Jelly and
>> by rubbing lightly with steel wool.
>>
>> Then I polished them with Brasso brass, copper, and chromium polish.
>>
>> Then I applied some McGuires wax/polish.
>>
>> The Naval Jelly slightly tarnished and discolored the pipes a little,
>> but now they look almost as good as new.
>>
>> ---------
>>
>> if you find yourself in that situation again, try "The Works
>> tub&shower cleaner" or "CLR"... The Works is better. won't harm the SS
>> and will disolve the rust stain nearly instantly.
>>

> Or if you are a cheapskate like me, try Coke and crumpled up tin foil.
> Regular, not diet coke. Buy a 2 or 3 liter bottle, the leftover coke can
> be disposed of with some dark rum.....
>
> Jan

That sounds like a wast of good dark rum...

Tony
Old November 11th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Jan wrote:
> 'Good' dark rum I would still use with coke.
> 'Excellent' or 'superior' rum would not get ruined by coke in my
> household, but it is somewhat unlikely to be found there either, with my
> current income

Back in my rum drinking days Myers was for sipping and anything less was
mixed with coke.

Tony
Old November 11th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_5_]