72 Bus exhaust header leak

Old November 10th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 72 Bus exhaust header leak

Hello-

My father-in-law, my wife, and I have been in the process of
replacing the engine on my wife's 72 bus. Everything has gone really
well up to this point. We can't seal an exhaust leak between 72
(stock)header & head. The ends of headers were milled but still will
not seal. Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can’t get a good
torque.

Anyone on this list have a similar experience? If so, what did you
do?

thanks for any advice!

Scott
Old November 10th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 10, 5:31*am, " > wrote:
> Hello-
>
> * My father-in-law, my wife, and I have been in the process of
> replacing the engine on my wife's 72 bus. *Everything has gone really
> well up to this point. *We can't seal an exhaust leak between 72
> (stock)header & head. The ends of headers were milled but still will
> not seal. Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can’t get a good
> torque.
>
> * Anyone on this list have a similar experience? *If so, what did you
> do?
>
> thanks for any advice!
>
> Scott

Do you have new gaskets?

you will need to get a good seal or you will have backfiring.

You can get new exhaust studs from the Bus Depot.

we pulled our 72 from a junkyard had it at a camp out 20 hrs later you
can say.

Old November 10th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 10, 8:55*am, " > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 5:31*am, " > wrote:
>
> > Hello-

> > * My father-in-law, my wife, and I have been in the process of
> > replacing the engine on my wife's 72 bus. *Everything has gone really
> > well up to this point. *We can't seal an exhaust leak between 72
> > (stock)header & head. The ends of headers were milled but still will
> > not seal. Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can’t get a good
> > torque.

> > * Anyone on this list have a similar experience? *If so, what did you
> > do?

> > thanks for any advice!

> > Scott

> Do you have new gaskets?
>
> you will need to get a good seal or you will have backfiring.
>
> You can get new exhaust studs from the Bus Depot.
>
> we pulled our 72 from a junkyard had it at a camp out 20 hrs later you
> can say.

gaskets are good. header bolts are new, too.
Old November 10th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Scott, what type of gaskets? I had terrible luck with the stock ones
(metal) that come in the gasket kits, I could not get them to seal, I
got some thicker all fiber gaskets and that solved the problem with my
tri-mil. Similar to these he
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1276
Old November 11th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
george taylor

Ok this may not be the most correct way to do this, but had a similar
situation on my 85 (I know!)westy. I had to take 2 gaskets to stop one of
the exhaust ports from leaking. It did the trick.

Old November 11th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 10, 5:12*pm, "george taylor" >
wrote:
> Ok this may not be the most correct way to do this, but had a similar
> situation on my 85 (I know!)westy. I had to take 2 gaskets to stop one of
> the exhaust ports from leaking. It did *the > wrote in message

> > Scott, what type of gaskets? I had terrible luck with the stock ones
> > (metal) that come in the gasket kits, I could not get them to seal, I
> > got some thicker all fiber gaskets and that solved the problem with my
> > tri-mil. Similar to these he
> >http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog...roductID=1276- Hide quoted text -

Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can’t get a good
> torque.

Try a different torque wrench , it will be time consuming if you have
to fix a striped header bolt hole.

I take and put a very thin layer of permitex on the header ports and
snug the header in place with the new gaskets then remove to see the
sealing surface. you may need to file the headers
Old November 14th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dalwin

If the header bolts are pulling out the heads are toast.
You can try to helicoil or threadsert them but there isn't alot of
material there. Pull them too much and the bosses crack!

Good Luck

> Hello-
>
> My father-in-law, my wife, and I have been in the process of
> replacing the engine on my wife's 72 bus. Everything has gone really
> well up to this point. We can't seal an exhaust leak between 72
> (stock)header & head. The ends of headers were milled but still will
> not seal. Plus header bolts are pulling out, just can’t get a good
> torque.
>
> Anyone on this list have a similar experience? If so, what did you
> do?
>
> thanks for any advice!
>
> Scott

FS: New Exhaust Header for Jeep 2.5L Mark E. Bye Jeep 0 October 21st 07 12:50 PM
OBX exhaust header for a 1996 SC2 Theodore Wong Saturn 0 September 12th 07 10:38 PM
Cracked exhaust header Dennis Cox Jeep 2 July 21st 06 10:53 PM
96 jetta/golf header pipe leak aba 2L front exhaust repair question? newsviewer VW water cooled 1 April 2nd 06 11:09 PM
new header &exhaust 97 TJ [email protected] Jeep 0 February 8th 06 06:38 PM