EMPI electronic ignition kit

Old November 11th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

Default EMPI electronic ignition kit

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:53:09 +0100, Anthony W > wrote:

> P.J.Berg wrote:
>
>> Be very carefull with the wiring, you get that wrong once and the unit
>> is instatoast!!
>> J.

> I don't think It's going to be a problem. One wire goes to the positive
> side of the coil and the other goes to the negative side. I don't see
> how I could get that wrong.
>
> Tony

You would be amazed at what people are capable of.. :]
I fried my first unit along with the the Tiger CDI box due to faulty
instructions, John replaced both for free due to the mistake. Talk about
outstanding customer service!!

J.

Old November 11th 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

P.J.Berg wrote:

> You would be amazed at what people are capable of.. :]
> I fried my first unit along with the the Tiger CDI box due to faulty
> instructions, John replaced both for free due to the mistake. Talk about
> outstanding customer service!!
>
> J.

I'm in the motorcycle charging system parts biz and if I couldn't do
something as simple as this, I would look pretty stupid.

BTW, one of my wholesale suppliers carries alternators and I can buy the
knock off Bosch VW bug alternators pretty cheap...

Tony
Old November 11th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:11:11 +0100, Anthony W > wrote:

> P.J.Berg wrote:
>
>> You would be amazed at what people are capable of.. :]
>> I fried my first unit along with the the Tiger CDI box due to faulty
>> instructions, John replaced both for free due to the mistake. Talk
>> about outstanding customer service!!
>> J.

> I'm in the motorcycle charging system parts biz and if I couldn't do
> something as simple as this, I would look pretty stupid.
>
> BTW, one of my wholesale suppliers carries alternators and I can buy the
> knock off Bosch VW bug alternators pretty cheap...
>
> Tony

The combo Compufire/Tiger CDI was not straight forwards..
Got it right with the correct instructions.

I was looking into the Motorcycle MSD or Mallory box for my Duc. but they
where to steep at the time.
I have sent an e-mail to Universial Corp. to see if they can provide a
retailer of the Tiger 581 CDI module, used to be around 85 dollars or so.
Remains to be seen if they reply.

J.

Ps. I have worked as a motorcycle mechanic for something like 10 years all
together.

Old November 11th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

P.J.Berg wrote:

> The combo Compufire/Tiger CDI was not straight forwards..
> Got it right with the correct instructions.

If I had a lath, I would modify a distributor from a Japanese car as per
Bob Hoover's instructions then use a MSD box with it. There's too many
things in my way for this right now.

> I was looking into the Motorcycle MSD or Mallory box for my Duc. but
> they where to steep at the time.
> I have sent an e-mail to Universial Corp. to see if they can provide a
> retailer of the Tiger 581 CDI module, used to be around 85 dollars or so.
> Remains to be seen if they reply.

MSD stuff for bikes is too damn expensive if you ask me. I was looking
at over $300 for the whole package for my 1100 Yamaha.

> Ps. I have worked as a motorcycle mechanic for something like 10 years
> all together.

I do remember you saying that a few years ago. I used to post here all
the time but in the last few years I haven't had much time for
newsgroups. I turned wrenches on bike for around 17 years but most of
that was over 12 years ago.

Tony
Old November 11th 08, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> I do remember you saying that a few years ago. �I used to post here all
> the time but in the last few years I haven't had much time for
> newsgroups. �I turned wrenches on bike for around 17 years but most of
> that was over 12 years ago.
>
> Tony

I tried being a motorcycle mechanic in NY but riding season is to
short and even with the flat track race bikes it would get to slow.

back on topic I have had my pertronix set up on my 64 from day one and
it has never failed, I'm sure the Empi distributor is made by the same
compony that makes most you get today.

I haven't found many here that want to spend several hundred on a
ingition set up
Old November 11th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

On Nov 11, 4:22 am, " > wrote:
> > I do remember you saying that a few years ago. I used to post here all
> > the time but in the last few years I haven't had much time for
> > newsgroups. I turned wrenches on bike for around 17 years but most of
> > that was over 12 years ago.

> > Tony

> I tried being a motorcycle mechanic in NY but riding season is to
> short and even with the flat track race bikes it would get to slow.
>
> back on topic I have had my pertronix set up on my 64 from day one and
> it has never failed, I'm sure the Empi distributor is made by the same
> compony that makes most you get today.
>
> I haven't found many here that want to spend several hundred on a
> ingition set up

Get a clue, retard. EMPI's **** is all made overseas in China or
Taiwan. Pertronix and the GOOD stuff is made here in the USA. Given
your track record of ripping people off, I'm not surprised to see this
kind of advice coming from you.

And if people want to shop by price, then they need to expect to get
****ty results. That's why EMPI is still in business, because people
refuse to pay for quality.
Old November 11th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

> And if people want to shop by price, then they need to expect to get
> ****ty results. �That's why EMPI is still in business, because people
> refuse to pay for quality.- Hide quoted text -

LOL so I'm the only one expected to do everything perfect for free.
Your right no one wants quality any more just look how well wally
world is doing or why chris is hanging cabinets out of a box insted of
building them. come to my shop and see what i have to repair and take
a better look at my webshot pages. I don't have to argue with you,
your doing it with yourself.
Old November 12th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

> wrote in message

>I haven't found many here that want to spend several hundred on a
>ingition set up

yep, we're all poor... I bought a Unilite with vacuum advance and a mallory
box... I set them on a shelf.... they are very near the complete CB
EFI/turbo system and all the other parts to build a nice engine.... but I'm
a tightwad and don't want to shell out for headstuds...