Hard downshift 94 Chrysler T&C auto trans

Old February 5th 05, 02:39 AM
Al VaBeach

Default Hard downshift 94 Chrysler T&C auto trans

It is noticeable when our 1994 T&C van 2wd with 88,000 miles down
shifts to 1st gear. We never noticed this before and lately it seems to
down shifts hard to 1st. When I say hard, it's like a clunk sound. When
the other gears down shift, it is not that noticable...very smooth.
Other than than, no problem. I checked the fluid and it was about 3/4
quart low. Is this a problem, something to be checked by a transmission
shop or normal?
Al

Old February 5th 05, 04:08 AM
Daniel J. Stern

How long since you changed the fluid and filter...and what exact type of
fluid was used?

Old February 5th 05, 10:00 AM
Al VaBeach

The current fluid and filter has about 50,000 miles on it. I guess it's
due for a change. Not sure of what type was put in on the last change.
It was changed by a reputable garage.

Old February 5th 05, 10:06 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Al VaBeach" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The current fluid and filter has about 50,000 miles on it. I guess it's
> due for a change. Not sure of what type was put in on the last change.
> It was changed by a reputable garage.

If it's still on the original trans computer, that computer needs a firmware
update if I'm not mistaken.

Ted

Old February 5th 05, 10:44 AM
Al VaBeach

Would a 1994 have a trans computer? Not sure about this, but the
problem seems to have started after I disconnected the battery when I
replaced the starter. I don't recall having this problem prior to
that.
Al

Old February 5th 05, 02:17 PM
Hank

You need to have the fluid and filter changed. If you use the wrong
fluid expect bad results with your tranny.

Go to this web site and read what fluid you need. Also, don't trust
anyone, including mechanics (not all) to put the correct stuff in.

http://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html

Old February 5th 05, 03:19 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, Al VaBeach wrote:

> Would a 1994 have a trans computer?

Yes.

> Not sure about this, but the problem seems to have started after I
> disconnected the battery when I replaced the starter. I don't recall
> having this problem prior to that.

When you disconnected the battery, the trans computer lost its memory and
is now having to "re-learn". There is a "fast learn" procedure you can
find on allpar.com . Also, while you're thinking about the transmission,
*change your fluid and filter*, using the correct fluid. In your '94, you
can use either ATF+3 or ATF+4. The latter is better, but more expensive
and usually available only from the dealer. The concern over torque
converter shudder does not apply to transmissions in service, just to
transmissions in older minivans that have a new torque converter. Do not
attempt to use ANYTHING other than ATF+3 or ATF+4. No additive "converts"
any other fluid, and Scamsoil's "universal" fluid...isn't.

It will pay you in convenience and durability to get the reusable trans
pan gasket and the filter from the dealer rather than using aftermarket
parts.

DS
Old February 6th 05, 12:31 PM
Al VaBeach

Thank you for the information. Tomorrow I'll take the van to the
Chrysler Dealer and have it checked for a computer update TSB-18-24-95,
change fluid and filter and have the bands adjusted. The site
www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html, as suggested, had a good bit of
information on troubleshooting the transmission. This was my first
visit to rec.autos.tech and I do appreciate the advice.
Thanks again for the help.
Al