Web site help for Passat B4 headlight removal?

Old November 21st 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
me

Default Web site help for Passat B4 headlight removal?

Anyone know of a site that gives the details on changing headlights on
a 97 Passat TDI?

Thanks!
Old January 7th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Bearpair1

On Nov 21 2007, 6:34*am, me > wrote:
> Anyone know of a site that gives the details on changing headlights on
> a 97 Passat TDI?
>
> Thanks!

I am also looking for help with this same thing for my 97 Passat GLX.
I posted something on Edmunds.com and got bad advice. Cloudy lenses
are a common problem with these cars, I bought replacement assemblies
and I'm surprised there is basically nothing on line to use as a
resource to change them out.
Old January 8th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Bearpair1" > wrote in message
On Nov 21 2007, 6:34 am, me > wrote:
> Anyone know of a site that gives the details on changing headlights on
> a 97 Passat TDI?
>
> Thanks!

I don't have a Passat but usually they're a matter of just unbolting them
and bolting in the new ones (although the new ones will have to be aimed
too). Should be usually two mounting points at the top to the radiator
support and probably at least one lower mounting point (might have to remove
the corner lamps anyway too) and accessing the lower mounting points might
involve removing the grille. Hopefully the bumper doesn't need removal.
All those are educated guesses but that's usually how these mount up.

However many good auto parts stores sell kits to polish the old
lenses...have you tried that? Might want to try that rather than put in new
assemblies.

Old January 8th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Here is a site describing how to polish up those headlights.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h..._polishing.htm

I quickly searched for your answer, and I have changed the radiators, thus the headlights got removed, but I can't find any pictures or written up procedures. I would not remember until I saw another 95-97 Passat. <:-)

If you don't have a repair manual maybe one of the members of the groups below will have the answer you seek. ;-)
BTW I vote you purchase any of the repair manuals off of ebay or amazon or maybe the library has one for you to borrow.
--
later,
dave