U-Haul's practices raise the risk of accidents on the road

Old June 25th 07, 02:24 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Homer[_5_]

Default U-Haul's practices raise the risk of accidents on the road

"John A. Weeks III" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> wrote:
>
>> >From the Los Angeles Times

>> DANGER IN TOW

> So, you want us to be concerned about U-Hual, but you ignore
> copyright law and steal property from the LA Times.

When was the last time you were smeared along the pavement
by a copyright infraction? Besides the OP gave full credit
to the source; I seriously doubt the LA Times cares.

> All vehicles can malfunction. But ultimately, it is the driver
> who is responsible for the working condition of their vehicle. If
> there was a brake problem, the driver should never have left the
> U-haul yard.
>
> Nice try at attempting to smear the reputation of a great American
> success story. But the facts of the case are that U-Haul is not
> responsible for reckless drivers who don't follow good common
> sense.

I used to rent U-Haul trucks a lot when I was younger. They were
ALWAYS more ragged and unsafe than Ryder, Penske trucks
I'd rent. I am frankly surprised that they don't have an extensive
record of dead customers along the roadways of America. The
worst truck I ever rented from them was an incredible experience.
The piece of **** should not have been legal for the road. You'd
have to have driven it to appreciate it....about a mile of 'play' in
the steering wheel, very poor response after the play, and it
was their biggest truck. I drove the monster down Peachtree
St. in Atlanta...crowded with narrowish lanes. I'm a top-notch
driver (no accidents over 35 years driving) and am usually
relaxed behind the wheel, but my ass was bitin seat that day.

Old June 25th 07, 03:36 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Roughrider50

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 06:21:02 -0700, N8N > wrote:

>On Jun 25, 9:07 am, Brontide > wrote:
>> On Jun 24, 10:31 pm, (Brent P)
>> wrote:
>>
>> > The 45mph speed limit that U-Haul has is just them covering their ass. If
>> > that's true, then anyone traveling on the interstate should not rent
>> > their equipment. Then again, it's U-Haul.... I was surprised when the
>> > article stated they had equipment that was less than 30 years old.

>> If the equipment is used within the written guidelines, IS IT SAFE? U-
>> Haul has gone to the extreme of placing the 45 mph MAX sticker in such
>> a way that it can be read in the side view mirror as well as when you
>> are loading the trailer. To exceed it you are willfully ignorant or
>> ignoring the warning.

>I think the true warning is that if U-Haul is only willing to state
>that its equipment is safe below 45 MPH, then it is simply not safe to
>use.
>
>I need to find a friend to convince to buy a small car trailer so I
>don't ever have to use U-Haul again (I'd buy one myself, but I have
>nowhere to store it.)
>
>nate

U-hauls 45MPH warning has been around as long as I can remember, at
least 40 years. I think its a liability issue. That way they can rent
to anything that walks through their door, driving whatever junk &
limit their risk. The bottom line is that anything moving down the
average hiway at 45MPH is a traffic hazard, especially on busy 2 lane
road.
Another problem I have with U-haul is their rental centers , in a lot
of cases, leave a lot to be desired. Surly employees, poorly
maintained equipment, etc.. I finally went & bought a 4X8 utility
trailer from HD for about $650 http://tinyurl.com/yr8abh. It does all
I need & I don't have to deal with U-haul.
Old June 25th 07, 07:03 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, John A. Weeks III wrote:
> In article >,
> (Brent P) wrote:
>
>> In article . com>, gpsman
>> wrote:
>>
>> > What very few have seen is a slower vehicle "run over" by faster
>> > traffic, trailer or no.

>> If someone driving 45mph would need to so much as tap the brakes, he
>> would get run over the by the semi drafting him 3 feet off his rear
>> bumper.

> That is BS.

I'll take you for a ride through I-294's work zone.

> You need to be in control of your own vehicle,
> and let the other people drive their own vehicles.

Doesn't change the fact there's a semi riding one's rear bumper.

> Speeding
> up out of your fear of your lack of ability to handle a traffic
> situation is about the worst possible thing you can do at that
> time. If you cannot handle a vehicle the way it is supposed
> to be driven, then get off of the road.

Wether I can 'handle it' or not is not relevant. The fact of the matter
is that the situation does occur. BTW, the way to handle it, the only way
to get the semi off one's ass and not be replaced by another or a more
dangerous situation.... (ie doing 45mph in the left or middle lanes) is
to well, go faster. Slowing to 35 doesn't give a trucker a hint... too
dumb I guess.

Old June 25th 07, 07:04 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, Brontide wrote:
> On Jun 24, 10:31 pm, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>> The 45mph speed limit that U-Haul has is just them covering their ass. If
>> that's true, then anyone traveling on the interstate should not rent
>> their equipment. Then again, it's U-Haul.... I was surprised when the
>> article stated they had equipment that was less than 30 years old.

> If the equipment is used within the written guidelines, IS IT SAFE? U-
> Haul has gone to the extreme of placing the 45 mph MAX sticker in such
> a way that it can be read in the side view mirror as well as when you
> are loading the trailer. To exceed it you are willfully ignorant or
> ignoring the warning.

To obey the warning makes the equipment useless to anyone who is to use
an interstate or other limited access highway.

Old June 25th 07, 08:18 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Brontide

On Jun 25, 2:04 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article .com>, Brontide wrote:
> > If the equipment is used within the written guidelines, IS IT SAFE? U-
> > Haul has gone to the extreme of placing the 45 mph MAX sticker in such
> > a way that it can be read in the side view mirror as well as when you
> > are loading the trailer. To exceed it you are willfully ignorant or
> > ignoring the warning.

> To obey the warning makes the equipment useless to anyone who is to use
> an interstate or other limited access highway.

Interesting, I would have only limited difficulty driving on all
highways within a 2 hour reach at 45mph. I already drive on them at
50-55 some of the time. Sure I might get honked at once, but that's
about it. If people can't find an appropriate way to use the trailers
safely maybe they should go for one of the trucks instead.

-Eric
http://brontide.blogspot.com/

Old June 25th 07, 08:36 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, Brontide wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2:04 pm, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>> In article .com>, Brontide wrote:
>> > If the equipment is used within the written guidelines, IS IT SAFE? U-
>> > Haul has gone to the extreme of placing the 45 mph MAX sticker in such
>> > a way that it can be read in the side view mirror as well as when you
>> > are loading the trailer. To exceed it you are willfully ignorant or
>> > ignoring the warning.

>> To obey the warning makes the equipment useless to anyone who is to use
>> an interstate or other limited access highway.

> Interesting, I would have only limited difficulty driving on all
> highways within a 2 hour reach at 45mph. I already drive on them at
> 50-55 some of the time. Sure I might get honked at once, but that's
> about it. If people can't find an appropriate way to use the trailers
> safely maybe they should go for one of the trucks instead.

Last time I drove 45mph on an interstate (in a work zone) I was more than
honked at. Don't you slow is safe types even watch your mirrors and see
what is going on behind you? The drivers who don't realize you're going
slow until they are a few feet away and then swerve at the last moment
into the lane to the left? The truckers that pull up to your bumper
thinking that will make you move faster?

Old June 25th 07, 08:37 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Brontide wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2:04 pm, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>
>>In article .com>, Brontide wrote:
>>
>>>If the equipment is used within the written guidelines, IS IT SAFE? U-
>>>Haul has gone to the extreme of placing the 45 mph MAX sticker in such
>>>a way that it can be read in the side view mirror as well as when you
>>>are loading the trailer. To exceed it you are willfully ignorant or
>>>ignoring the warning.

>>To obey the warning makes the equipment useless to anyone who is to use
>>an interstate or other limited access highway.

> Interesting, I would have only limited difficulty driving on all
> highways within a 2 hour reach at 45mph. I already drive on them at
> 50-55 some of the time. Sure I might get honked at once, but that's
> about it. If people can't find an appropriate way to use the trailers
> safely maybe they should go for one of the trucks instead.
>
> -Eric
> http://brontide.blogspot.com/

That may not even be LEGAL depending on where you live (note previous
post in thread minimum speed on some highways being 50 MPH)
certainly it's not a good idea. At least around here, 45 MPH is a good
30 MPH below the average speed of traffic on many highways - just
doesn't seem like a good idea to be deliberately causing that great a
speed differential.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old June 25th 07, 09:12 PM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Siskuwihane

On Jun 25, 10:31 am, Scott en Aztlán > wrote:
> "gordo" > said in rec.autos.driving:
>
> >Does this mean that U-Haul will now refuse to rent any trailers to Toyota
> >Land Cruiser owners?
> >....same way they continue to discriminate against Explorer owners?

> For those of us who do not own Exploders, can you give any examples of
> the ways that Screw-Haul disciminates against those who do?

The example where U-Haul themselves has banned towing with Ford
Explorers since late 2003, it's in the article you didn't read.

Old June 26th 07, 04:20 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
gpsman

On Jun 25, 1:03 pm, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, John A. Weeks III wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (Brent P) wrote:

> >> If someone driving 45mph would need to so much as tap the brakes, he
> >> would get run over the by the semi drafting him 3 feet off his rear
> >> bumper.

> > That is BS.

> I'll take you for a ride through I-294's work zone.

No need, just post a news report of a semi rear-ending any -moving-
vehicle, on any freeway, anywhere, anytime. Of course it occurs, but
it is exceedingly rare.

> > You need to be in control of your own vehicle,
> > and let the other people drive their own vehicles.

> Doesn't change the fact there's a semi riding one's rear bumper.

Which is irrelevant to operating one's own vehicle and letting other
drivers operate theirs. As they say in trucking; you drive your rig,
and I'll drive mine.

> > Speeding
> > up out of your fear of your lack of ability to handle a traffic
> > situation is about the worst possible thing you can do at that
> > time. If you cannot handle a vehicle the way it is supposed
> > to be driven, then get off of the road.

> Wether I can 'handle it' or not is not relevant. The fact of the matter
> is that the situation does occur. BTW, the way to handle it, the only way
> to get the semi off one's ass and not be replaced by another or a more
> dangerous situation.... (ie doing 45mph in the left or middle lanes) is
> to well, go faster. Slowing to 35 doesn't give a trucker a hint... too
> dumb I guess.

<spit take> Why not move right, you ****ing moron?

Almost every post you make reveals you shouldn't be allowed to drive a
golf cart, a golf ball, a bicycle, or a nail, much less a motorized
vehicle.
-----

- gpsman

Old June 26th 07, 05:05 AM posted to misc.consumers,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, gpsman wrote:
> On Jun 25, 1:03 pm, (Brent P)
> wrote:
>> In article >, John A. Weeks III wrote:

>> > That is BS.

>> I'll take you for a ride through I-294's work zone.

> No need, just post a news report of a semi rear-ending any -moving-
> vehicle, on any freeway, anywhere, anytime. Of course it occurs, but
> it is exceedingly rare.

Because the second part doesn't happen often. But truckers tailgating
passenger cars is common around here.

>> > You need to be in control of your own vehicle,
>> > and let the other people drive their own vehicles.

>> Doesn't change the fact there's a semi riding one's rear bumper.

> Which is irrelevant to operating one's own vehicle and letting other
> drivers operate theirs. As they say in trucking; you drive your rig,
> and I'll drive mine.

Yeah... what if someone cuts off the passenger car the trucker is
tailgating? What then?

It's not legal to drive on the ****ing shoulder, the grass, or in
the closed and coned off lane of the work zone, you dumb ****ing asshole!

> Almost every post you make reveals you shouldn't be allowed to drive a
> golf cart, a golf ball, a bicycle, or a nail, much less a motorized
> vehicle.

One of the best things I've ever seen in a work zone is when a state
trooper had stopped three assholes who were passing using the coned off
lane. I also enjoy when the cops are there to nail shoulder passers. Maybe
they'll get you for doing that some day since you've clearly
recommended driving over there, you must do it.

Maybe it was you, that one night on the dan-ryan some asshole trucker in
the right lane moved right into a ramp's acceleration area and then
passed a bunch of people by using the shoulder and then forced his way
back into the right lane when an overpass prevented him from going
further on the shoulder.

I'll bet you got your CDL by bribing someone in the IL SOS office.