spoiler on 2005 Celica

Old January 3rd 07, 07:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Richard Catrambone

Default spoiler on 2005 Celica

I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph). It
obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.
Old January 3rd 07, 11:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Richard Catrambone" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
> wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
> the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph). It
> obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
> spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.

A real spoiler is designed to push down on the rear of the car, the faster
you go, the harder it pushes down. That makes it possible for the car
to negotiate circle track curves at 200Mph at the Indy 500. The fake
spoilers you see on passenger cars do absolutely nothing other than
create wind turbulance that sucks horsepower.

Nothing screams "wannabe" more than a spoiler on a passenger car.

Ted

Old January 3rd 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

Richard Catrambone wrote:
> I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
> wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
> the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph). It
> obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
> spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.

One good reason would be the holes you will uncover in your trunk lid
when removing the spoiler. Another would be resale value. Trade yours
in for a base model Celica if it bothers you so much. Someone out
there might think that was a good deal.

I don't recall any non-spoiler equiped Celicas aeroplaning off of the
road; it's probably not likely.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 3rd 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Richard Catrambone > wrote in news:z2Jmh.6786$yx6.327
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
> wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
> the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph). It
> obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
> spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.

At the sort of speeds reached on North American roads, the rear spoiler
does absolutely nothing. And even then only certain bodystyles really need
one at elevated speeds. The Audi TT is one of them, the Porsche 911
another.

It's my understanding that the Audi's little lip was added after rear lift
problems were discovered at speeds over something like 150mph.

Apparently the Porsche's automatic spoiler rises up at also about 150mph in
Europe, which caused some consternation among North American owners, who
wanted to see their spoilers pop up too. Porsche then recalibrated the
spoiler to rise at something like 55mph, just to make its American owners
happy.

The best reason for leaving your spoiler on is what Comboverfish says.

--
Tegger

Old January 3rd 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Richard Catrambone > wrote:
>I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
>wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
>the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph). It
>obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
>spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.

It has zero impact on the car's performance, save for possibly degrading it
a little by adding a small amount of drag.

BUT, removing it is a pain and will require some careful bondo and paint
work.
--scott
Old January 3rd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
G-man422[_13_]

Most spoilers are for show. If you dont plan on going over 90mph, then
its not going to help much. especially on a FWD car.

--
G-man422
G-man422's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=351285

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old January 3rd 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AZ Nomad

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 07:32:48 -0800, G-man422 > wrote:

>Most spoilers are for show. If you dont plan on going over 90mph, then
>its not going to help much. especially on a FWD car.

Especially aftermarket dorkage bolted to a trunk lid.
Old January 3rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

>>Most spoilers are for show. If you dont plan on going over 90mph, then
>>its not going to help much. especially on a FWD car.

> Especially aftermarket dorkage bolted to a trunk lid.

And even the FACTORY dorkage bolted to the trunk lid of may cars.
Spoilers that are intended to really work and apply significant amounts
of downforce are much more structurally integrated into the car. The
braces for the wing on the Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Daytona went
through the trunk and into the rear subframe extensions, for example.
Old January 3rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

Richard Catrambone wrote:
> I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
> wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
> the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph).

It does a lot for appearance and very little for keeping the rear end
down from everything I've read. They can also be used to hang beach
towels from <vbg>.

> It
> obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
> spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.

A body shop will have to fill the resulting holes and repaint. I would
live with it or buy a car that doesn't have one.

Old January 4th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Richard Catrambone wrote:
> I just bought a 2005 Celica. This car has a spoiler on it and I am
> wondering whether there is much evidence that the spoiler does much for
> the car's performance (at least at speeds under, say, 90mph). It
> obscures my view out the rear window and I am thinking of removing the
> spoiler unless there is a good reason to keep it on. Thanks.

I havent seen any for ages but there used to be some plates you could
buy with a rubber gasket and cover to seal the holes from a spoiler in
the trunk lid or panel.