2001 jeep - emergency brake

Old October 18th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Phil Schuman

Default 2001 jeep - emergency brake

My wife has a 2001 jeep grand cherokee.
We had the brakes done yesterday - new pads -
and now the emergency brake handle can hardly be pulled up.

I can do it, but my wife can barely lift the handle,
and then, can hardly release it.

What might they have done that would cause
the emergency brake cable to be tighter than before...

Just as a side issue - my wife ALWAYS puts the brake on -
What effect does this have compared to the auto trans in Park ?

Old October 18th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

"Phil Schuman" > wrote in message
. com...
> My wife has a 2001 jeep grand cherokee.
> We had the brakes done yesterday - new pads -
> and now the emergency brake handle can hardly be pulled up.
>
> I can do it, but my wife can barely lift the handle,
> and then, can hardly release it.
>
> What might they have done that would cause
> the emergency brake cable to be tighter than before...

The emergency brake cable needs to be "unadjusted" from before, from when
somebody adjusted it, to compensate for worn out brakes. Take it back and
explain what the problem is. They should be able to put it right fairly
quickly.

> Just as a side issue - my wife ALWAYS puts the brake on -
> What effect does this have compared to the auto trans in Park ?

It gives you an extra margin of safety. Two things holding you from rolling
down that embankment into the river, instead of one.

Earle

Old October 18th 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clint[_2_]

I think I remember reading that it can assist in prolonging the life of the
transmission as well, in particular, on automatic transmissions when parking
often in hilly regions. And which would you rather replace/work on? The
transmission or the parking brake.

But I often speak from my nether regions, especially when talking about
vehicles. So don't take my word for it.

Clint

.. .

Old October 18th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

You need to have that fixed fast or the e-brake cables will stretch and
snap. They are now being used as the pivot for the brake shoes when a
solid pin should be their pivot.

As Earle mentioned, the cable needs to be unadjusted.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 18th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I think it depends on how cold it is where you live if it's called an
'emergency' brake or a 'parking' brake.

When I worked in garages up here in Canada, a lot of service calls and
fixes were due to the 'emergency' brake freezing up solid locking the
wheels. It happened bad on the east coast where the slush storms happen
and in the west where flash freezes happen.

I live in the east/center now and see high humidity and slush storms so
never use it in the winter except for very short term needs like wanting
to be in neutral with the engine running for heat or warm up.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 19th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_5_]

This is a good point. I have used the parking brake every time I leave the
vehicle, since moving to Colorado. Back east they could freeze up if left
on overnight. And if you don't use them the cable and housing could rust up
solid. You can't win.

Earle

Old October 19th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Ditto: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/WJparkingBrake.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old October 19th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Al J

Been there done that. We used to keep a reallly old Ford pickup up at
the lake and someone who shall remain nameless left the E-brake on for a
couple of weeks during winter after a storm. Had to jack it up, take the
wheels off, and heat up the rear drums with a torch to get them free.
Now the only time I use it is for extra safety when launching the boat -
I once saw a guy learn that the rear end of a Chevy pickup will actually
float if backed in too far, at least for a little while.

It's also useful as an emergency 'limited slip' lever for getting
unstuck, especially with a manual trans where dealing with 3 pedals at
once can be a problem for some people. Probably shouldn't use it for
doing J-turns, at least not in a Jeep or other high center vehicle ;-)

In article >,
says...

Old October 19th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Al J

In article >,
says...

> It's also useful as an emergency 'limited slip' lever for getting
> unstuck,

I should have added in vehicles with RWD.
Old October 19th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Al J wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > It's also useful as an emergency 'limited slip' lever for getting
> > unstuck,

> I should have added in vehicles with RWD.

Actually both of my Jeep owners manuals say you can use it to load up
the spinning wheel if stuck so you get both back wheels spinning to get
unstuck.

I prefer to use the brake pedal. I can even have the clutch out and
then 2 foot drive the gas and brake to get 3 and sometimes even 4
rooster tails flying.

For those that don't know what we are talking about, in a normal vehicle
with an open differential, both wheels see equal power.

This means when one wheel is spinning on ice, it takes almost no power
to do this, so the stopped wheel sees almost no power. When you hit the
brakes or use the emergency brake, it loads up the spinning wheel so it
has to have way more power to keep on turning. Eventually this will
equal the power needed to break the other stopped tire free so you get
both spinning away.

That can either get you unstuck or just dig two holes.... LOL.

It takes some practice but works and is a good reason to keep the back
brakes and emergency brake adjusted and working.