325i 92 Automatic shift problem - will not shift into Park

Old September 18th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeffrey

Default 325i 92 Automatic shift problem - will not shift into Park

I have recently started having some issues with my 325i transmission.
Everything was going smooth and then all of a sudden after a drive I
cannot shift it into park or past 3rd - even in this range it is
slipping into gear (rather than depressing the shift button). Has
anyone seen this before or have any idea where to begin with
troubleshooting? I live in an area with no good import garages and I am
at a loss where to begin.

Old September 22nd 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ste

> I have recently started having some issues with my 325i transmission.
> Everything was going smooth and then all of a sudden after a drive I
> cannot shift it into park or past 3rd - even in this range it is
> slipping into gear (rather than depressing the shift button). Has
> anyone seen this before or have any idea where to begin with
> troubleshooting? I live in an area with no good import garages and I am
> at a loss where to begin.

What do you mean by "cannot shift into park"? You mean the stick
physically will not move into P, or you mean it stays in gear and
crawls away even in P, or do you mean putting it in P is the same as
putting it in N (i.e. no drive, but transmission does not lock, so car
rolls)?

Secondly, what do you mean by it "slipping into gear"?

And also, by "cannot shift past 3rd", do you mean that in D it will not
use 4th (or 5th) gear?