1995 BMW 318ic Jack Lift...where to put the jack?

Old March 15th 10, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BeeRich

Default 1995 BMW 318ic Jack Lift...where to put the jack?

Hi folks. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a hydraulic lift for my car. The car has the peg lifts which
fit into holes in the side, but it's flimsy. I have jack stands as
well, but I want to use the hydraulic lift. Where can I put the lift
so that it's safe? Is there a given location for this type of lift?

Cheers
Old March 15th 10, 03:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"BeeRich" > wrote in message
> Hi folks. Hopefully someone can help me.
>
> I have a hydraulic lift for my car. The car has the peg lifts which
> fit into holes in the side, but it's flimsy. I have jack stands as
> well, but I want to use the hydraulic lift. Where can I put the lift
> so that it's safe? Is there a given location for this type of lift?
>
> Cheers

If you look under the edge of hte car where the lift points are, you will
see rubber pads, or places where there are supposed to be rubber pads that
have long since been torn off. This is where you put the jack. If you wanted
to spread the load by using a piece of wood along the edge of the car, you
can do that.

Old March 15th 10, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BeeRich

On Mar 15, 11:54*am, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> "BeeRich" > wrote in message

> > Hi folks. *Hopefully someone can help me.

> > I have a hydraulic lift for my car. *The car has the peg lifts which
> > fit into holes in the side, but it's flimsy. *I have jack stands as
> > well, but I want to use the hydraulic lift. *Where can I put the lift
> > so that it's safe? * Is there a given location for this type of lift?

> > Cheers

> If you look under the edge of hte car where the lift points are, you will
> see rubber pads, or places where there are supposed to be rubber pads that
> have long since been torn off. This is where you put the jack. If you wanted
> to spread the load by using a piece of wood along the edge of the car, you
> can do that.

OK, cool. Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look and use those
instead.
Old March 15th 10, 04:49 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"BeeRich" > wrote in message
On Mar 15, 11:54 am, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> "BeeRich" > wrote in message

> > Hi folks. Hopefully someone can help me.

> > I have a hydraulic lift for my car. The car has the peg lifts which
> > fit into holes in the side, but it's flimsy. I have jack stands as
> > well, but I want to use the hydraulic lift. Where can I put the lift
> > so that it's safe? Is there a given location for this type of lift?

> > Cheers

> If you look under the edge of hte car where the lift points are, you will
> see rubber pads, or places where there are supposed to be rubber pads that
> have long since been torn off. This is where you put the jack. If you
> wanted
> to spread the load by using a piece of wood along the edge of the car, you
> can do that.

OK, cool. Thanks for the reply. I'll have a look and use those
instead.

<JS>
Those pads can be removed to expose the tie-down points that the tow truck
driver would use to secure the car to the flatbed of his truck.

</JS>

Old March 17th 10, 08:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
BeeRich

On Mar 15, 12:49*pm, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
> "BeeRich" > wrote in message

> On Mar 15, 11:54 am, "Jeff Strickland" > wrote:
>

> > "BeeRich" > wrote in message

> > > Hi folks. Hopefully someone can help me.

> > > I have a hydraulic lift for my car. The car has the peg lifts which
> > > fit into holes in the side, but it's flimsy. I have jack stands as
> > > well, but I want to use the hydraulic lift. Where can I put the lift
> > > so that it's safe? Is there a given location for this type of lift?

> > > Cheers

> > If you look under the edge of hte car where the lift points are, you will
> > see rubber pads, or places where there are supposed to be rubber pads that
> > have long since been torn off. This is where you put the jack. If you
> > wanted
> > to spread the load by using a piece of wood along the edge of the car, you
> > can do that.

> OK, cool. *Thanks for the reply. *I'll have a look and use those
> instead.
>
> <JS>
> Those pads can be removed to expose the tie-down points that the tow truck
> driver would use to secure the car to the flatbed of his truck.
>
> </JS>

Ah very neat. I like the way the rally cars (Subaru STi,
specifically) use the side holes for instant jacking.
Old March 17th 10, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 13:08:31 -0700 (PDT), BeeRich >
wrote:

>> > If you look under the edge of hte car where the lift points are, you will
>> > see rubber pads, or places where there are supposed to be rubber pads that
>> > have long since been torn off. This is where you put the jack. If you
>> > wanted
>> > to spread the load by using a piece of wood along the edge of the car, you
>> > can do that.

>> OK, cool. *Thanks for the reply. *I'll have a look and use those
>> instead.

>> Those pads can be removed to expose the tie-down points that the tow truck
>> driver would use to secure the car to the flatbed of his truck.
>>

>Ah very neat. I like the way the rally cars (Subaru STi,
>specifically) use the side holes for instant jacking.

Be aware that if the last tow truck driver couldn't be arsed to put
the pads back on when he'd finished, or if they're missing for some
other reason, then you can get some weird wind noise that you'd never
believe could be caused by them being missing.

What automobile jack in lieu of the supplied scissor jack? Howard Lester[_1_] Honda 8 June 6th 07 06:48 PM
How To Lift A 325i With Floor Jack? V BMW 0 April 11th 05 09:21 PM
2005 CRV Jack/Lift points (4WD LX) [email protected] Honda 0 February 28th 05 04:01 PM
Hi-Lift Jack Thread Jersey Jeep 38 January 4th 05 10:29 PM
Hitch mounted Hi Lift jack? Rob Gendreau 4x4 6 February 28th 04 08:50 AM