Restoration

Old May 9th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Restoration

OK big in depth question... maybe

OK so as i just explained we recently acquired a 68 ghia. It's in
fairly decent shape and rusty in all the familiar places. rocker
panel is rusted thru to the Heater channels in a couple of 1/2 dollar
size holes, behind the front wheels looks a little mushy , drivers
rear floor pan has the rolling trash can, and the front right
headlight fin has been bondo'd- havent checked to see how much yet.
all in all its not in horrible shape and I would like to restore it.

Personally I haven't ever done this and dont want to jump into
somthing without researching it first. I guess first step is to get
the rust removed. now i've heard that acid dipping is the best way to
go b/c of cost and effectiveness over sand blasting, but once its
done, how long do I have to get the new body panels in and painted.
also should i get the undercarriage powdercoated? the whole car? Ive
some welding skills (probably high school shop level), but is this
something i want to tackle my self. I also dont think i can afford to
have anyone else do it right now.

Has anyone else done this? any advice on anything really? and whats a
good place to get parts from? Ive got a catalog from Mid America
Motor Werks(formerly Rmmw) and some other place. any junkyards in CO
that might have some stuff? Basically i am asking for any advice or
ideas.

Thanks and sorry for rambling.
nick

Old May 9th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
kanuk

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> OK big in depth question... maybe
>
> OK so as i just explained we recently acquired a 68 ghia. It's in
> fairly decent shape and rusty in all the familiar places. rocker
> panel is rusted thru to the Heater channels in a couple of 1/2 dollar
> size holes, behind the front wheels looks a little mushy , drivers
> rear floor pan has the rolling trash can, and the front right
> headlight fin has been bondo'd- havent checked to see how much yet.
> all in all its not in horrible shape and I would like to restore it.
>
> Personally I haven't ever done this and dont want to jump into
> somthing without researching it first. I guess first step is to get
> the rust removed. now i've heard that acid dipping is the best way to
> go b/c of cost and effectiveness over sand blasting, but once its
> done, how long do I have to get the new body panels in and painted.
> also should i get the undercarriage powdercoated? the whole car? Ive
> some welding skills (probably high school shop level), but is this
> something i want to tackle my self. I also dont think i can afford to
> have anyone else do it right now.
>
> Has anyone else done this? any advice on anything really? and whats a
> good place to get parts from? Ive got a catalog from Mid America
> Motor Werks(formerly Rmmw) and some other place. any junkyards in CO
> that might have some stuff? Basically i am asking for any advice or
> ideas.
>
> Thanks and sorry for rambling.
> nick

I read, that rust can be removed by Coca-Cola bath (as far as I know, it
contains phosphoric acid, or something like that)

Old May 10th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On May 9, 1:55�pm, "kanuk" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > OK big in depth question... maybe

> > OK so as i just explained we recently acquired a 68 ghia. *It's in
> > fairly decent shape and rusty in all the familiar places. *rocker
> > panel is rusted thru to the *Heater channels in a couple of 1/2 dollar
> > size holes, behind the front wheels looks a little mushy , drivers
> > rear floor pan has the rolling trash can, and the front right
> > headlight fin has been bondo'd- havent checked to see how much yet.
> > all in all its not in horrible shape and I would like to restore it.

> > Personally I haven't ever done this and dont want to jump into
> > somthing without researching it first. *I guess first step is to get
> > the rust removed. *now i've heard that acid dipping is the best way to
> > go b/c of cost and effectiveness over sand blasting, *but once its
> > done, how long do I have to get the new body panels in and painted.
> > also should i get the undercarriage powdercoated? the whole car? Ive
> > some welding skills (probably high school shop level), but is this
> > something i want to tackle my self. *I also dont think i can afford to
> > have anyone else do it right now.

> > Has anyone else done this? any advice on anything really? and whats a
> > good place to get parts from? *Ive got a catalog from Mid America
> > Motor Werks(formerly Rmmw) and some other place. * any junkyards in CO
> > that might have some stuff? *Basically i am asking for any advice or
> > ideas.

> > Thanks and sorry for rambling.
> > nick

> I read, that rust can be removed by Coca-Cola bath (as far as I know, it
> contains phosphoric acid, or something like that)- Hide quoted text -

Hey Nick

Karman ghia parts and restoration is a great place to get all the
parts you need to do your ghia.

I had a 59 rag top that I am restoreing chemically dipped and the
chassis powder coated, you want to use a good epoxy primer as soon as
you get it back (I use PPG LF) this will give you all the time you
need to do the sheet metal work.

I have restored almost a dozen ghia's in the past and you can email me
with any questions .

Mario
Vintage Werks resto