Timing belt inspection

Old January 14th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Ted Wong

Default Timing belt inspection

Hello:

I've got about 110K miles on the original timing chain. Is there a
relatively trivial way to inspect the chain, or to diagnose it for
wear? Judging from the Chilton repair manual, opening up the engine and
doing a visual inspection is quite an involved procedure, especially
for an amateur driveway mechanic.

Thanks,

Ted
1996 Black-Gold SC2

Old January 15th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Tom The Great

On 14 Jan 2007 11:30:29 -0800, "Ted Wong" > wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I've got about 110K miles on the original timing chain. Is there a
>relatively trivial way to inspect the chain, or to diagnose it for
>wear? Judging from the Chilton repair manual, opening up the engine and
>doing a visual inspection is quite an involved procedure, especially
>for an amateur driveway mechanic.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ted
>1996 Black-Gold SC2

imho:

It was my understanding it you followed the oil change every 3k miles
the chain should last the life of the engine.

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com

Old January 15th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
James1549

Ted, Most Saturn timing chains I have known to go bad, always get
noisey before they actually could cause any damage. There are
exceptions I am sure.

Mine has 120K on it and I don't plan on any replacement until I can
hear it slapping around. I change my oil every 4K and so far so good.
My fathers chain got noisey around 150K and he had it changed. I
wanted to change it myself for him but it was winter time and he
couldn't afford to have his car down for a few days.

James

Old January 16th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Ted, you will never have to look at that timing chain, it is basically a
lifetime self adjusting stainless steel belt with self adjusting tensioners.
The only Saturns that have belts that do need to be adjusted are the 1st
generation VUE V6 and L series with V6, they used a caddilac engine with a
rubber/kevlar belt that does need changing. All other Saturns have steel
timing chains that never need adjustment unless they fail. Change your oil
every 3K miles and keep the car tuned up and happy driving.

marx404

Timing belt question accord_owner Honda 12 June 17th 06 07:08 PM
Civic timing belt deflection duckbill Honda 5 April 5th 06 02:28 AM
Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
Some Stupid question about Timing Belt [email protected] Honda 4 March 16th 06 08:25 AM
Timing Advance on a 93 5.0 Can I? Lawson[rem0ve]news Ford Mustang 12 June 24th 05 08:02 AM