New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 5th 09, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.antique
es330td

Default New to restoration, looking to do a 1st gen GTO

(Note: if this is the wrong usenet group for this I apologize. This
one seemed right.)

I am looking to start a car restoration project in a couple of years.
My son is 7 and I plan to work with him restoring a mid 60's muscle
car with a target of him driving it when he is legal to drive. I
don't plan on doing a 100% show quality restore but it will be the
kind of vehicle that will turn heads when it goes down the road.

In my past I have worked in a garage so I have some experience with
engines and car repair. In addition, I have a relative who has run a
successful repair shop for 20 years so I have an expert resource I can
access. He has never done a restoration, however, so I thought I
would start here.

I am looking to use the next three years to prepare myself for this
project. I own a house with a two car garage, one side is not being
used except for storage and a large backyard with a gate big enough to
get my truck through, so I think I have a place for the car to live
while being worked on and space to work. I know I am going to need
tools, sources for parts, money, manuals and a project car.

I come to this group to find out where I can find these things. My
dream car is a 1st generation GTO and these show up on eBay needing
lots of work for under $1,000 fairly regularly so I am not worried
about finding a car, though when I do get ready to get one I know
spending a little more on the right car up front can save much time
and money so I will be back here for specifics on car selection. For
the rest of it, however, I know that going to my local Autozone is
probably not the best route for getting the parts I will need.

What resources do y'all recommend to help me get ready for this
project? I am especially looking for online forums (I found one at
highperformancepontiac.com) but I don't know what various groups,
magazines, etc exist out there for people looking to rebuild/restore
these cars.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.