Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

Old January 2nd 15, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises

Default Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:40:43 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 00:46:35 -0800 (PST), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
> Humble Philosopher" > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 7, 2014 2:56:05 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> >> In every country in the world, the first thing people want as they
> >> come up out of the mud is personal transportation. Even in China,
> >> with cities far bigger then most, and with plenty of public
> >> transportation of one sort or another, the people still hunger for
> >> personal transportation.

> >Right, and because of it they are choking in pollution and the world is looking into the abyss of irreversible climate change.
> >
> >And they are sitting in endless traffic jams as well, so they are not getting fast anywhere.

> So? What's it to you? It's their choice, why do you keep suggesting
> you know better how they should live then they do? Maybe you'd like
> to tell us all what size house we should be allowed and what kind of
> food we should be allowed to eat. Clearly they like cars, with all
> the attendant problems, over mass transit. Even in a
> quasi-dictatorship you see this over and over. People want the
> freedom of a car. It's only in a few places that have become rats
> nests, like NYC where many are forced to give up that dream and SETTLE
> for impersonal transportation. Even in NYC people who can will pay
> ungodly sums of money to have a car.

Funny, you want to enjoy the "freedom" to drive a car while denying a place to public transportation, trains and bicycles.

You need to be serious about them because the car has no future.
Old January 2nd 15, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

On 2015-01-02 22:59:52 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 8:40:43 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 00:46:35 -0800 (PST), "Wise TibetanMonkey, Most
>> Humble Philosopher" > wrote:

>>> Right, and because of it they are choking in pollution and the world is
>>> looking into the abyss of irreversible climate change.
>>>
>>> And they are sitting in endless traffic jams as well, so they are not
>>> getting fast anywhere.

>> So? What's it to you? It's their choice, why do you keep suggesting
>> you know better how they should live then they do? Maybe you'd like
>> to tell us all what size house we should be allowed and what kind of
>> food we should be allowed to eat. Clearly they like cars, with all
>> the attendant problems, over mass transit. Even in a
>> quasi-dictatorship you see this over and over. People want the
>> freedom of a car. It's only in a few places that have become rats
>> nests, like NYC where many are forced to give up that dream and SETTLE
>> for impersonal transportation. Even in NYC people who can will pay
>> ungodly sums of money to have a car.

> Funny, you want to enjoy the "freedom" to drive a car while denying a
> place to public transportation, trains and bicycles.

Really? Where did he say that?

Personally, what I'd like is for those other modes of transportation to
pay their own way.

> You need to be serious about them because the car has no future.

The car has a bright future. The car is working for the vast majority
of people in North America.

How do we know this? Because they continue to choose it.