TOP GEAR REVIEWS THE BMW 1 SERIES M COUPE

Old July 1st 11, 12:30 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Default TOP GEAR REVIEWS THE BMW 1 SERIES M COUPE

wrote:

> he even said that it was today's equivalent of the
>Mk1 Volkswagen golf GTI - which is as good as
>any endorsement gets.

Seems like a put-down, to me.

Old July 3rd 11, 10:59 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Zathras

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:30:02 -0500, dizzy >

>> he even said that it was today's equivalent of the
>>Mk1 Volkswagen golf GTI - which is as good as
>>any endorsement gets.

>Seems like a put-down, to me.

Well they rated the Mk1 GTI as the 20th best car of last century so I
think the praise is genuine.

Old July 4th 11, 01:17 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DAS[_2_]

I saw the prog last Saturday (on iPlayer...) and agree that the praise for
the 1M was very much genuine. I even go so far as to say that it was
touching on gushing...

DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'

Old July 4th 11, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Zathras

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 13:17:22 +0100, "DAS" > wrote:

>I saw the prog last Saturday (on iPlayer...) and agree that the praise for
>the 1M was very much genuine. I even go so far as to say that it was
>touching on gushing...

Indeed, Clarkson seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself.

Old July 8th 11, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

wrote:

>>> he even said that it was today's equivalent of the
>>>Mk1 Volkswagen golf GTI - which is as good as
>>>any endorsement gets.

>>Seems like a put-down, to me.

>Well they rated the Mk1 GTI as the 20th best car of last century so I
>think the praise is genuine.

Whatever. Not a very good car, objectively. A slow, FWD econo-box.

Old July 8th 11, 12:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DAS[_2_]

"Slow"? By what measure?

And where would one utilise any extra speed?

DAS

Old July 10th 11, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

DAS wrote:

>"Slow"? By what measure?

Usually, distance and time are used.

>And where would one utilise any extra speed?

Right. Who could possibly make use of more than 108 "storming"
horsepower?

Old July 10th 11, 10:49 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark[_2_]

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:40:57 -0500, dizzy >
wrote:

>DAS wrote:
>
>>"Slow"? By what measure?

>Usually, distance and time are used.
>
>>And where would one utilise any extra speed?

>Right. Who could possibly make use of more than 108 "storming"
>horsepower?

I miss the old days, when cars were judged by how well they drove and
handled, instead of high horsepower, and wide tyres to tame it.
Old July 10th 11, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
DAS[_2_]

Dizzy's wish is granted:

116 - 204 HP

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesand...%3D%3D,00.html

Scroll down to 1M.

Which traffic lights Grand Prix does dizzy wish to win?

DAS
--
To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
[...]

Old July 10th 11, 07:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy

Dean Dark wrote:

> dizzy wrote:
>
>>DAS wrote:
>>
>>>And where would one utilise any extra speed?

>>Right. Who could possibly make use of more than 108 "storming"
>>horsepower?

>I miss the old days, when cars were judged by how well they drove and
>handled, instead of high horsepower, and wide tyres to tame it.

Well then, I'll ask who could possibly make use of the superior
balance and handling characteristics of rear-wheel drive?

I could go on. It was a cheap little car. Fun to drive under the
right circumstances? Maybe so, but still left in the dust by many
others. IMO, of course.