ABS light is on

Old January 4th 11, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Default ABS light is on

"Chris Whelan" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:04:38 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work

> No it doesn't.
>
> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the ABS
> won't work.
>
> Chris

Same thing.

If you cannot rely on the system working, then it does not work even if
there is random functionality.

Old January 4th 11, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

"Chris Whelan" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:35:19 +0000, Adrian wrote:
>
>> Chris Whelan > gurgled happily, sounding
>> much like they were saying:

>>> No it doesn't.
>>>
>>> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the
>>> ABS won't work.

>> I've never yet come across an ABS system that didn't fail-safe and turn
>> off completely at the first sniff of a fault.

> The wiring loom to the dash gets damaged; a short from a live wire
> connects to the ABS warning light...

The only safe assumption is that if the light is on the system has disabled
itself. If the system turns out to work when you need it, count that as
Living Well and thank your lucky star.

Old January 4th 11, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland[_2_]

Old January 4th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Duncan Wood[_3_]

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:48:31 -0000, Chris Whelan
> wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:35:19 +0000, Adrian wrote:
>
>> Chris Whelan > gurgled happily, sounding
>> much like they were saying:

>>> No it doesn't.
>>>
>>> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the
>>> ABS won't work.

>> I've never yet come across an ABS system that didn't fail-safe and turn
>> off completely at the first sniff of a fault.

> The wiring loom to the dash gets damaged; a short from a live wire
> connects to the ABS warning light...
>
> Chris

Go on then ,when did you ever come across that?
Old January 4th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Duncan Wood[_3_]

Old January 4th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:49:12 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Chris Whelan" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:04:38 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> The ABS light being on means the ABS will not work

>> No it doesn't.
>>
>> It means the system "thinks" there is a fault which *might* mean the
>> ABS won't work.
>>
>> Chris

> Same thing.
>
> If you cannot rely on the system working, then it does not work even if
> there is random functionality.

How is a working system with a malfunctioning fault indication the same
as a broken system?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old January 4th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

Old January 4th 11, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:52:21 +0000, Duncan Wood wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:48:31 -0000, Chris Whelan
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:35:19 +0000, Adrian wrote:
>>
>>> Chris Whelan > gurgled happily,
>>> sounding much like they were saying:

>>> I've never yet come across an ABS system that didn't fail-safe and
>>> turn off completely at the first sniff of a fault.

>> The wiring loom to the dash gets damaged; a short from a live wire
>> connects to the ABS warning light...
>>
>> Chris
>>

> Go on then ,when did you ever come across that?

I never said I did.

I have seen an ABS control module where the electronic switching for the
warning light had gone permanently closed though.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old January 4th 11, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

Old January 4th 11, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.autos.bmw
Chris Whelan

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 10:51:17 -0800, Jeff Strickland wrote:

[...]

> The only safe assumption is that if the light is on the system has
> disabled itself. If the system turns out to work when you need it, count
> that as Living Well and thank your lucky star.

Yep.

But the light being on doesn't mean the ABS *will not* work.

Only that it might not, so shouldn't be relied on.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

86 C4 ABS LIGHT edsplacecars Corvette 1 October 25th 06 05:15 PM
ABS light on... Dangerousdt Honda 0 July 11th 06 05:04 AM
ABS Light Bill Hall Ford Explorer 5 May 22nd 06 10:10 PM
ABS Light came on xxxxxxxx Ford Explorer 3 December 31st 04 09:12 AM