e34 95 525i oil leak behind oil filter cup housing

Old October 10th 08, 05:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default e34 95 525i oil leak behind oil filter cup housing

the1995 e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
filter cup. I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
lower rear of the oil cup. There is a circular indentation or cutout
with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. I was wondering
if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.
Old October 10th 08, 12:14 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

> wrote:

> the1995 e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
> filter cup. I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
> lower rear of the oil cup. There is a circular indentation or cutout
> with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
> in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. I was wondering
> if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
> engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
> of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

I know of no repair short of replacing the oil filter housing. This
is not a cheap assembly and is a dealer-only item. I would not
buy a used one because there's too much work involved only
to find that one leaks as well.

Old October 10th 08, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Oct 10, 4:14*am, "Bob Smitter" > wrote:
> > wrote:
> > the1995 *e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
> > filter cup. *I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
> > lower rear of the oil cup. *There is a circular indentation or cutout
> > with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
> > in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. *I was wondering
> > if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
> > engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
> > of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

> I know of no repair short of replacing the oil filter housing. *This
> is not a cheap assembly and is a dealer-only item. *I would not
> buy a used one because there's too much work involved only
> to find that one leaks as well.

Do you really need to replace the oil filter housing? Why can't you
just replace the gasket? For example, looking at the following
diagram, would replacing gasket #8 solve the problem?

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim...1/ill-11_1288/
Old October 11th 08, 04:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Oct 10, 2:55*pm, RJD > wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 21:51:10 -0700 (PDT),
> wrote:
>
> >the1995 *e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
> >filter cup. *I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
> >lower rear of the oil cup. *There is a circular indentation or cutout
> >with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
> >in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. *I was wondering
> >if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
> >engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
> >of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

> It sounds like you are decribing the oil line with Banjo bolt that
> connects to the upper front end of the cylinder head. It starts at the
> lower end of the oil filter boss and snakes it way along until it pops
> out very close to the top of the oil filter cap but terminates on the
> VANOS solenoid.
>
> If this is correct I'd get a new oil line and the 4 metal washers that
> are used to secure it to the engine. That should stop the leak. You
> can replace it without removing too many componets but it will be a
> tight fit.
>
> RJD

I look at it by using a telescopic mirror, and i dont think there is
any line coming to or from the area I am talking about... let me try
to explain again. The leak is coming from.... [if one was able to
stand in front of the engine bay and look straight down at the oil
filter housing.] the leak would be exactly at the base of the cup in
the rear. There is a little circular cutout about the size of a
quarter; and inside that indented circular hole there is a [from what
I can see from the mirror] a shiny smoothed headed stud [about the
size of a dime] holding a larger either rubber or dark metal into the
hole. the oil is leaking out of the stud/rubber contraption. the
stud even seems loose. it feels like its turning with my finger, but
i could be wrong with the oil and smoothness i can't really tell but
it seems like it does turn.. hope this is more clear and thank you for
your help so far.
Old October 11th 08, 01:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Bob Smitter

"bfd" > wrote:
Do you really need to replace the oil filter housing? Why can't you
just replace the gasket? For example, looking at the following
diagram, would replacing gasket #8 solve the problem?

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim...1/ill-11_1288/

The gasket is not what is leaking. You will need a new one when/if
you replace the housing. The leak is from an area that was used
during manufacture and then supposedly permanently sealed. As I
said, I know of no fix. Believe me, I have had the same leak and the
solution is the answer I am giving you.

Old October 13th 08, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Oct 11, 8:58*am, "Bob Smitter" > wrote:
> "bfd" > wrote:
>
> *Do you really need to replace the oil filter housing? Why can't you
> just replace the gasket? For example, looking at the following
> diagram, would replacing gasket #8 solve the problem?
>
> http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim...995/07/mg-11/i...
>
> The gasket is not what is leaking. *You will need a new one when/if
> you replace the housing. *The leak is from an area that was used
> during manufacture and then supposedly permanently sealed. *As I
> said, I know of no fix. *Believe me, I have had the same leak and the
> solution is the answer I am giving you.

thank you some much for the image... The reason why I thought I had to
change the entire housing is because i had no idea of what I was
seeing in the tiny mirror.. now I have a better idea of what it looks
like I know what I could do..... thank you very much for your help....
so far this is the best help I got from this site
Old November 11th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Oct 9, 11:51*pm, wrote:
> the1995 *e34 525i has a serious oil leak coming from behind the oil
> filter cup. *I have to use a mirror to view it; but its leaking from
> lower rear of the oil cup. *There is a circular indentation or cutout
> with something that looks like a bolt with a rounded off head and kept
> in by a clip.... thats where the oil is coming from. *I was wondering
> if this can be taken apart and fixed without taking the cup off the
> engine [which looks to be a big job]. And if so; what is the best form
> of attack and what do I need to get from the dealer.

Your oil leak is the result of one or both o-ring on the end plugs age-
hardening and most likely one has cracked. You will need to remove
the aluminum oil filter housing from the block (6 bolts). To get the
housing out, you will need to remove the alt/ps/fan belt, 2 tensioner
bolts, 2 altenator bolts and 2 power steering pump bolts also.
Replace the 28mm OD x 22mmID x 3mm thick O-ring by removing the
retaining snap rings, removing the end plug, and old hardened black o-
rings (hard like plastic). Place the new (lubricated) O-rings on the
end plug and gently tap them back into position. Reinstall the
retaining ring. Reinstall the aluminum oil housing using a new
houisng to block rubber gasket (old one will be hard as a rock). You
will have another 15 years of no leaks.
I would replace both belts at the same time. Figure on at least 2
hours of work for an experienced BMW mechanic and $7.00 for o-rings
and gasket.
Old October 23rd 16, 05:20 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Was the end plugs o ring the problem. Did u manage to resolve
Let me know, I think I have the same problem
Malcolm @ south africa
Old May 17th 17, 01:48 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

I believe I have the same issue, the suspense is killing me. Please someone update this!

Liquid in my air filter housing LoneGreyWolf via CarKB.com Jeep 8 December 20th 06 06:27 AM
sensors on oil filter housing, 95 VR6 passat stag5353 VW water cooled 5 June 5th 06 03:14 AM
broken air filter housing Cheepy BMW 3 March 1st 06 11:43 PM
how to remove the air filter housing Mike Muzaini Chrysler 1 March 22nd 05 12:22 AM
99 Caravan Air Filter Housing Cheryl and Rob Dodge 8 October 4th 04 10:28 PM