97 528i for 11K

Old February 4th 05, 07:15 AM
Russ Maki

"Michael" > wrote in message

> My feelings match your statements. My first preference for a new driver

is
> a Volvo. Handling isn't in the same league but crash survivability is
> higher. I've been in wrecks in two Volvos and four BMW's, and sorry to

say
> but a Volvo is a tank in a wreck.

OK -- Two non-BMW suggestions:
Mercedes diesel, W123 or W126 chassis. Want a tank? Plus, lots of low-end
torque for tooling around town. You're unlikely to find one without an oil
leak, but they're usually fixable if you have the patience to track it down.
NO electronics. No ignition. Keep oil in the crankcase and it'll go forever.
Downside: A decent specimen might requre a little suspension freshening.
Primitive stability/SRS stuff.

1995-2000 Mazda Millenia. Great chick car. Stylish. With traction control,
ABS and a set of Nokians for the snow it drives itself. Competes nicely
with my '87 Audi 4000 quattro as the most stable foul-weather car I have
ever driven...but it's been far more trouble free than the Audi. The used
models are real orphans, so they depreciate massively -- but, find one with
50K miles, treat it right and it'll go another 150K. Check Consumer Reports
reliability ratings. After all, this car is for a young woman, not a
gearhead. The car is not a rollerskate -- curb weight is about 3200 lbs.
Downside: Internet parts jobbers have little for this car outside of tuneup
parts. KYB is about the only source of aftermarket shocks. Not the kind of
car given to "upgrades."

> 1983 633 Csi w/ a five speed (they don't come much prettier), current

garage
> car.

I've got an '83 6er too. Black/black. New Mexico was not kind to the
clearcoat Wife likes it, though. 105K on the odo.

Russ M

Old February 4th 05, 09:33 AM
John Burns

> Could easily be 2000 gbp + a year for a new young driver on the very
> smallest cheapest car. With no collision cover - ie, you'd pay for the
> damage to your car yourself if at blame.

When I was 23 I bought my first BMW, a 1988 316. This was in 1991. I was
living in a good area insurance wise (Aberdeen) with a clean licence but
it still cost me 1400+ GBP a year to insure.

Currently paying about a tenth of that for my E30 318iS.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old February 4th 05, 11:24 AM
dizzy

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 01:15:59 -0600, "Russ Maki" >
wrote:

>1995-2000 Mazda Millenia. Great chick car. Stylish. With traction control,
>ABS and a set of Nokians for the snow it drives itself. Competes nicely
>with my '87 Audi 4000 quattro as the most stable foul-weather car I have
>ever driven...but it's been far more trouble free than the Audi. The used
>models are real orphans, so they depreciate massively

These are bargain cars if you don't mind the fact they're FWD and
quite boring to drive. They are built very well - check out the
suspension.

Old February 4th 05, 02:00 PM
The Malt Hound

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "The Malt Hound" <Malt_Hound@*no spam please*yahoo.com> wrote in
> message
>>
>> "Michael" > wrote in
>> message
>> >
>> > PS High fee is $1800/yr
>> >

>> Wow. Where is that? I don't pay that much for my 18 y/o son.

> Piedmont NC
>
> Drops by half (no problems of course) after 12 months and then by
> another
> half after the second 12 months.

Ah, OK. Yes, I would think that NC would be a low risk area.

And to the UK contingent, in the famous words of the infamous prior US
President:

<whiney voice>
"I feel you're pain"
</whiney voice>

-Fred W

Old February 4th 05, 02:31 PM
Frank Kemper

"Michael" > haute in die
Tasten:

> The passenger side mirror dips automatically when
> you put the car in reverse...what is that BS?

It is a very practical feature for maneuvering the car into a narrow
european parking gap. It allows you to see the kerb without having to
move the mirror. My 1994 Citroen Xantia also has that feature. I do not
know how it is managed in the BMW, but in my Citroen, I can adjust the
mirror in normal position and in reverse position (reverse gear
engaged). When I choose to adjust the mirror similar in both positions,
it will not move when you put the car in reverse.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old February 4th 05, 02:43 PM
Michael

"Russ Maki" > wrote in message

> "Michael" > wrote in message
>
> 1995-2000 Mazda Millenia. Great chick car. Stylish. With traction control,
> ABS and a set of Nokians for the snow it drives itself. Competes nicely
> with my '87 Audi 4000 quattro as the most stable foul-weather car I have
> ever driven...but it's been far more trouble free than the Audi. The used
> models are real orphans, so they depreciate massively -- but, find one

with
> 50K miles, treat it right and it'll go another 150K. Check Consumer

Reports
> reliability ratings. After all, this car is for a young woman, not a
> gearhead.

I'll look into that idea...sounds good.

> > 1983 633 Csi w/ a five speed (they don't come much prettier), current

> garage
> > car.
> >

> I've got an '83 6er too. Black/black. New Mexico was not kind to the
> clearcoat Wife likes it, though. 105K on the odo.

Mine is burgundy w/ tan inside. Goes like a scalded dog when required. Had
it repainted a few years ago when my wife started wincing when I wanted to
drive it to church.

Old February 4th 05, 02:47 PM
Michael

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> "Michael" > haute in die
> Tasten:
>
> > The passenger side mirror dips automatically when
> > you put the car in reverse...what is that BS?
> >

> It is a very practical feature for maneuvering the car into a narrow
> european parking gap. It allows you to see the kerb without having to
> move the mirror.

Ah yes, I remember curbs...something seen in Europe and Northern American
cities.

Unless it is an old AND traditional southern city they don't exist. They're
sloped so the idiots don't trash their tires and wheels.

Old February 4th 05, 03:18 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Michael > wrote:
> Ah yes, I remember curbs...something seen in Europe and Northern American
> cities.

> Unless it is an old AND traditional southern city they don't exist.
> They're sloped so the idiots don't trash their tires and wheels.

Doesn't this just encourage parking on the pavement (sidewalk)?

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 4th 05, 03:49 PM
Michael

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Michael > wrote:
> > Ah yes, I remember curbs...something seen in Europe and Northern

American
> > cities.

> > Unless it is an old AND traditional southern city they don't exist.
> > They're sloped so the idiots don't trash their tires and wheels.

> Doesn't this just encourage parking on the pavement (sidewalk)?

Not to mention knocking down the parking meters...got those little puppies?
I don't remember seeing any in either the UK or Europe.

My wife will simply pass up a parking slot to avoid parallel parking. Most
Americans can't parallel park worth a flip.

Old February 4th 05, 05:40 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Michael > wrote:
> > > Unless it is an old AND traditional southern city they don't exist.
> > > They're sloped so the idiots don't trash their tires and wheels.

> > Doesn't this just encourage parking on the pavement (sidewalk)?

> Not to mention knocking down the parking meters...got those little
> puppies? I don't remember seeing any in either the UK or Europe.

There were, but parking areas on a road where you buy a ticket from a
machine are more popular now. More efficient use of the space, and one
ticket machine can serve several such bays.

> My wife will simply pass up a parking slot to avoid parallel parking.
> Most Americans can't parallel park worth a flip.

Of course in most UK cities the roads ain't wide enough for nose in
parking. Or any parking at all, come to that. ;-)

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
1979 BMW 528I Any Info? mrchris BMW 1 January 2nd 05 01:18 PM
97 528i Runs hot then cool WHWHITE BMW 3 January 2nd 05 04:33 AM
528i Steering issue/questions Jeff BMW 1 October 6th 04 11:37 PM