Hmmmm?

Old October 28th 04, 10:49 AM
Andre Buhk

Andre Buhk schrieb:

> But they stopped it 1998. There was no E46 with V8.

my fault, http://www.hartge.de/ put the m5 engine into the e46

andre
Old October 28th 04, 06:58 PM
Ramone Cila

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:40:11 -0400, "Fred W." <Fred.Wills@'remove this
> to reply to' myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
> >"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message

> >I agree. This is the best looking design that has come from BMW in quite
> >some time now. The iDrive is optional (as it should be). The only

question
> >is, can the active steering and run-flat tires be deleted as well?

Active Steering and Run Flats are options in America. Both come with the
Sport Package. I dislike both and so ordered my 545 without either....and
like it that way. Next year BMW is making AS a stand-alone option so you can
buy a Sport package with base R&P steering. My guess is that will extend to
the E90 packages as well.

On the issue of i-drive: there is so much inaccurate reporting from the
magazines that one wonders if it is possible it's intentional. Yes I-drive
should be optional, but as it stands I-drive ain't difficult nor does it
interfere with the ease of functionality in the car. If it were optional
when I bought mine I cannot say I would be quick to opt out of it. I really
like the clear dash, I really disliked the push buttons of my E39's, and I
have never ever ever seen a better Sat Radio interface than I-drive
provides...not Comand or MMI is it's equal in this regard.

Really, I would have to think long and hard before deciding whether or not
to exclude i-drive from my options list. I see it as a rather benign
component of the car.

> I agree with everything above. No spare? What about the 6 months
> that we're running Winter tires?
>
> >Personally, I think that BMWNA would do well to bring the 4 cyl and

diesel
> >to the US,

> This I do not agree with. Every cheap Korean cars have 6-cylinders,
> now. I'm never going back to a shaky, flatulent, 4-banger, that's for
> sure...

You are dead right....who in America is going to opt for a normally
aspirated 4 banger in their brand new Bimmer?

Old October 28th 04, 09:18 PM
dizzy

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 01:23:40 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> wrote:

> dizzy > wrote:
>> I'm never going back to a shaky, flatulent, 4-banger, that's for
>> sure...

>But the BMW fours are smoother than some sixes. They have balance shafts.

Most all 4-bangers of >1.8L capacity have balance shafts, AFAIK.

Old October 28th 04, 09:20 PM
dizzy

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:58:22 -0600, "Ramone Cila" >
wrote:

>Active Steering and Run Flats are options in America. Both come with the
>Sport Package. I dislike both and so ordered my 545 without either....and
>like it that way.

If you don't get run-flats, do you get a spare? Is there a place to
put a spare?

Seems like they just want to save the space that a spare takes-up.
I'm not convinced it's a good trade-off, since it limits what tires we
can buy to run-flats.

Old October 28th 04, 09:58 PM
Ramone Cila

"dizzy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:58:22 -0600, "Ramone Cila" >
> wrote:
>
> >Active Steering and Run Flats are options in America. Both come with the
> >Sport Package. I dislike both and so ordered my 545 without either....and
> >like it that way.

> If you don't get run-flats, do you get a spare? Is there a place to
> put a spare?

Yes you get a spare and it goes in the trunk, under the floor.

> Seems like they just want to save the space that a spare takes-up.
> I'm not convinced it's a good trade-off, since it limits what tires we
> can buy to run-flats.

You know, I don't know what they do with the spare space in a car supplied
with run-flats. I suppose it's just empty but I would be hard pressed to
believe it isn't there.

When buying I tested a run-flat car for a couple days and found it a step
down from BMW's normal complaint ride, quiet contact patch, feedback and
handling dynamics. I really don't know why anyone would opt for those tires.
The only problem was that in 2004 the 5'er Sport Package had, and there was
no way to option out, Run-flats and Active Steering. You were stuck. I think
in 2005 each will become optional regardless of package you choose.

I just don't understand BMW's decision to fit the Sport package with
Run-flats. If it was simply a matter of costs they would have applied the
same decision to non-Sport cars.

Old October 28th 04, 10:44 PM
Frank Kemper

"Ramone Cila" > haute in die Tasten:

> If it were optional
> when I bought mine I cannot say I would be quick to opt out of it.

I would be more concerned about the question wether I like the big LCD
sreen housing in the middle of the dashboard, rather than worrying about I-
Drive. I briefly tested I-Drive in an 745i, and I found it less than
perfect but acceptable. But actually I would take the I-Drive option
anyway, because I want a Navi

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old October 29th 04, 12:44 AM
Tom Korth

"Ramone Cila" > wrote in message

> When buying I tested a run-flat car for a couple days and found it a step
> down from BMW's normal complaint ride, quiet contact patch, feedback and
> handling dynamics. I really don't know why anyone would opt for those
> tires.

I have run-flats on a (non-sport package) Z4 3.0. Since it is used mainly
for touring, the 60% larger trunk is greatly appreciated, and as long as the
roads are smooth, they work very well - but the ride does suffer on less
than perfect pavement. However, I would definitely not order them when it
comes time to replace my (daily driver) E46.

Tom

Old October 29th 04, 11:35 AM
Andrew Thomas

Frank Kemper > wrote in message >.. .
> "Dave Plowman (News)" > haute in die Tasten:
>
> > They are excellent four cylinder engines.
> >

> Okay, but if you plan to buy a BMW and cannot afford a six cylinder engine, you should
> beware of test driving one, because afterwards you will not like the 4-banger anymore.

This often gets trotted out. In some senses it's a rather obvious
comparison - wear an off-the-leg suit from a department store, then
something bespoke from Savile Row. The off-the-peg suit will be
comfortable enough for many. In fact the difference between the
current fours and sixes is not as wide as this analogy suggests - I
tried a 2.2 litre six-cylinder 320i a while ago, and found it to be
pretty poor. I guess all these six-pot fanatics fooled me . It
made a lovely noise, as all BMW sixes do, but below 5,000 rpm offered
nothing more than a two-litre 318i. Accelerating above 5,000 rpm (and
below 10 mpg) it was great, though. That's handy in town.
Old October 29th 04, 11:35 AM
Andrew Thomas

Frank Kemper > wrote in message >...
> I drive an inline6, and I have tried BMW 4-bangers. Believe me: they are
> not the right stuff.

> Frank

For whom, Frank? We're not all rolling in money like you, obviously!
Old October 29th 04, 11:37 AM
Andrew Thomas

dizzy > wrote in message >. ..
> >Personally, I think that BMWNA would do well to bring the 4 cyl and diesel
> >to the US,

> This I do not agree with. Every cheap Korean cars have 6-cylinders,
> now. I'm never going back to a shaky, flatulent, 4-banger, that's for
> sure...

I agree that four-pot BMWs are irrelevant in the US - quite
irrelevant. But you've obviously not driven a BMW four lately.