BMW crash worthiness

Old September 2nd 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pltrgyst[_1_]

Default BMW crash worthiness

Looks pretty darned good:

"after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
about 50 MPH Thursday evening.

Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG

I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.

I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."

-- Fred
Old September 2nd 07, 10:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:10:23 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

>Looks pretty darned good:
>
>"after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
>made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
>about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>
>Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>
>I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
>the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
>about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>
>I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."
>
>-- Fred

Well Fred - No Air Bags! Luckily no passenger either as it seems as no
blood....

Let turns. When I was out there most accidents or rather incidents like this
were caused by U turns and those Left turns on the interstates as I presume this
one was.

Now I have read in the UK motoring press that many states have started using the
UK & Euro style "Roundabouts" or as you using the "Olde English" "Rotary".

There are quite a few I know of and apparently where these are in place there
has been an 80% reduction in collisions such as yours and general accidents.

Never mind Fred.............. Now is the time to replace it with......... ?????
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old September 2nd 07, 10:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> Looks pretty darned good:
>
> "after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
> made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
> about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>
> Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>
> I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
> the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
> about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>
> I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."
>
> -- Fred

Back in '89 I had good reason to be pleased about my 1983 735i crash
worthiness (thank you Dr. Dieter Waldmann) - BMW's are very good in this
regard.

How did the occupants of the other car do?

PS most large German saloons are pretty robust. If the rear occupants of a
Mercedes 280SEL that hit a support pillar in a tunnel in Paris ten years ago
at 75-94mph had been wearing their seat belts they would have probably
walked away.

Old September 2nd 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
stuart

pltrgyst wrote:

> Looks pretty darned good:
>
> "after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
> made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
> about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>
> Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>
> I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
> the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
> about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>
> I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."

another E30 goes to heaven - pity

Old September 2nd 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
JB[_2_]

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> Looks pretty darned good:
>
> "after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
> made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
> about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>
> Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>
> I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
> the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
> about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>
> I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."

You want to see some crash damage, look at these cars in a BMW breakers in
the UK: http://www.fabdirect.com/index07.htm
I'm damned impressed that most of the passenger 'cells' are still intact
even after such impressive damage.

JB

Old September 3rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dori A Schmetterling[_2_]

Goodness. Lucky escape.

DAS

---

Old September 4th 07, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dodgy

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 23:10:23 -0400, pltrgyst
> waffled on about something:

>Looks pretty darned good:
>
>"after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
>made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
>about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>
>Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
>http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>
>I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
>the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
>about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>
>I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."
>
>-- Fred

Ouch! Poor E30.

Glad you're alright though... I see you broke the steering wheel with
what I call the "Jeeeeeeesssssuuusssss!" arm brace!

Pretty impressive escape considering no airbags. What was the other
car? An pics?

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old September 6th 07, 08:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tommy[_15_]

Euro NCAP give the car 2stars out of 5 (not Good)

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_3_series_1997/15.aspx

Old September 10th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
big dom

"stuart" > wrote in message
> pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> Looks pretty darned good:
>>
>> "after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
>> made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
>> about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>>
>> Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>>
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>>
>> I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
>> the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
>> about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>>
>> I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."
>>

> another E30 goes to heaven - pity

Major intrusion to the interior - looks a pretty close call.

In most safety surveys the E30 came out very poorly.....still 50MPH is waay
higher than most crash tests, and you're still in one piece!

Old September 10th 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 23:31:06 GMT, "big dom" > wrote:

>"stuart" > wrote in message
>> pltrgyst wrote:
>>
>>> Looks pretty darned good:
>>>
>>> "after a 24 yr old BBB (Blind Bleach Blond),traveling west,
>>> made a left turn into my car that was headed east at
>>> about 50 MPH Thursday evening.
>>>
>>> Here are some pictures of what's left of my 1985 318i:
>>>
>>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash1.JPG
>>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash2.JPG
>>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~blackhawkridge/Crash3.JPG
>>>
>>> I cam out of it with some deep bruises and abrasion from
>>> the shoulder harness, a cut in my right knee that needed
>>> about a half dozen stitches, and a hairline fracture in my right ankle.
>>>
>>> I'm liking BMW and crumple zones pretty well right now."
>>>

>> another E30 goes to heaven - pity
>>

>Major intrusion to the interior - looks a pretty close call.
>
>In most safety surveys the E30 came out very poorly.....still 50MPH is waay
>higher than most crash tests, and you're still in one piece!

Cripes - is all that interior trash OEM? And about that radio....