How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Old August 29th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

In article >,
lid says...
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking of buying a 2006 or 2007 3 series. I was wondering what
> >the consensus is around here about BMW's engines. I had a bad
> >experience with my current car, an Audi 1.8 turbo, and don't want to go
> >through that again. I've heard good things about BMW's 6 cylinder
> >motors. How do you folks feel? Thanks for your input.

> The BMW I6 is a sweet motor, and one of the main reason to buy a BMW.

I think that everyone responding so far was in agreement...BMW makes a
great engine. That has always been my impression from what I've read
and heard. I am now looking for my next car...a BMW 3 series. Maybe
2006 or 2007 since I can't quite see paying for a brandy new one. Any
options I should stay away from, or any I should definitiely get?
Once again, I appreciate all responses. Thanks to all.
Old August 29th 07, 02:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd[_1_]

> wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> lid says...
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm thinking of buying a 2006 or 2007 3 series. I was wondering what
>> >the consensus is around here about BMW's engines. I had a bad
>> >experience with my current car, an Audi 1.8 turbo, and don't want to go
>> >through that again. I've heard good things about BMW's 6 cylinder
>> >motors. How do you folks feel? Thanks for your input.

>> The BMW I6 is a sweet motor, and one of the main reason to buy a BMW.
>>

> I think that everyone responding so far was in agreement...BMW makes a
> great engine. That has always been my impression from what I've read
> and heard. I am now looking for my next car...a BMW 3 series. Maybe
> 2006 or 2007 since I can't quite see paying for a brandy new one. Any
> options I should stay away from, or any I should definitiely get?
> Once again, I appreciate all responses. Thanks to all.

Easy, stay away from BMW NAV and idrive. Compared to the Japanese version,
its garbage!

What you should get: if you're buying new, definitely get the Xenon light
option. At about $800, its a bargain. Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a
must for any enthusiast. Moreover, don't forget the sports suspension. Are
limited slip differentials still available? If so, get one!

Old August 29th 07, 03:07 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Chom_Noamsky

try to avoid the runflat tires - crapola in a big way.
Many used bimmers will have had them swapped out for real rubber.

The single most important thing in buying a used bimmer - Papertrail of
everything - full history of service and part replacements.
An independant inspection by an old German speaking mechanic is always worth
the expense

Xenon is worth every penny too
Also, starting in 04, the 330 was also a 6 speed - a very nice feature.
I would not want an auto - I did test it just for fun, and although pretty
quick, manual is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more fun

A neglected German car will eventually cost you a fortune if it wasn't
maintained properly.

.. .

Old August 29th 07, 10:01 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
bfd > wrote:
> Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a must for any enthusiast.

What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 29th 07, 04:05 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd[_1_]

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> bfd > wrote:
>> Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a must for any enthusiast.

> What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

Fair enough. Then you'll probably like the latest auto tranny offered.
According to several of the writers in Roundel, its suppose to be the best
ever!

Old August 29th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:01:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
wrote:

>In article >,
> bfd > wrote:
>> Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a must for any enthusiast.

>What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

"Enthusiast" implies a degree of enthusiasm for the activity and precision
control of driving which is well beyond that which can be exhibited with an
automatic transmission.

-- Larry
Old August 29th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
daytripper

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:28:57 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:01:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" >
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> bfd > wrote:
>>> Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a must for any enthusiast.

>>What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

>"Enthusiast" implies a degree of enthusiasm for the activity and precision
>control of driving which is well beyond that which can be exhibited with an
>automatic transmission.

Oh boy, here we go....
Old August 29th 07, 06:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mike G

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:01:36 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> bfd > wrote:
>>> Further, a 5 or 6 speed manual is a must for any enthusiast.

>>What makes you think enthusiastic drivers don't like autos? I am and I do.

> "Enthusiast" implies a degree of enthusiasm for the activity and precision
> control of driving which is well beyond that which can be exhibited with
> an
> automatic transmission.

OK, I'll bite.
You have a very narrow and misguided idea of what defines a driving
enthusiast.
Mike.

Old August 29th 07, 06:31 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:04:33 GMT, dizzy > wrote:

wrote:

>>They are great but.............. watch out for the vanos units they can present
>>problems and are expensive to replace.

>Hasn't anything made in the last 10+ years been "vanos"?

Of course but if buying and the vanos packs up it still expensive to replace
that's all I was saying NOT don't buy a vanos.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Intelligence is not knowing the answer but knowing where and how to find it!

Hugh Gundersen

Bognor Regis, W.Sussex, England, UK
Old August 29th 07, 06:32 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:15:45 GMT, > wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I'm thinking of buying a 2006 or 2007 3 series. I was wondering what
>> >the consensus is around here about BMW's engines. I had a bad
>> >experience with my current car, an Audi 1.8 turbo, and don't want to go
>> >through that again. I've heard good things about BMW's 6 cylinder
>> >motors. How do you folks feel? Thanks for your input.

>> The BMW I6 is a sweet motor, and one of the main reason to buy a BMW.
>>

>I think that everyone responding so far was in agreement...BMW makes a
>great engine. That has always been my impression from what I've read
>and heard. I am now looking for my next car...a BMW 3 series. Maybe
>2006 or 2007 since I can't quite see paying for a brandy new one. Any
>options I should stay away from, or any I should definitiely get?
>Once again, I appreciate all responses. Thanks to all.

Sport suspension unless you only drive 5 miles to work and back or you live on a
billiard table smooth road.