Odyssey rear brake light replacement? (and tires)

Old November 27th 04, 11:06 PM
Bob Kaplow

Default Odyssey rear brake light replacement? (and tires)

I just went to change the center high brake light on my 2001 Odyssey LX. I
unbolted the assembly per the instructions, twisted the connector, and then
the old bulb wouldn't fit through the opening in the assembly! How are you
supposed to get these things out, or get the new ones in?

And while I'm asking, any one got a recommendation for better tires than
what the car came with (#!%*@ Firestones that aren't M+S rated! 215/65R16).
The car has about 45K miles, and the tires aren't any where near worn out,
but they have NEVER had decent traction in snow or ice. Living in Chicago
this is a problem. With the Thanksgiving eve snowfall, my wife couldn't even
get it up the hill at the end of the street to pick up our daughter from
school.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<

Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about
repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the
struggle for independence. -- Charles A. Beard
Old November 28th 04, 12:56 AM
SoCalMike

Bob Kaplow wrote:

> I just went to change the center high brake light on my 2001 Odyssey LX. I
> unbolted the assembly per the instructions, twisted the connector, and then
> the old bulb wouldn't fit through the opening in the assembly! How are you
> supposed to get these things out, or get the new ones in?

is there a way through the front? or no?

> And while I'm asking, any one got a recommendation for better tires than
> what the car came with (#!%*@ Firestones that aren't M+S rated! 215/65R16).
> The car has about 45K miles, and the tires aren't any where near worn out,
> but they have NEVER had decent traction in snow or ice.

because theyre so damn hard. which is why they dont wear out. i replaced
the OEM FR680s on my 98 civic earlier this year. probably about half
worn, if that. some had a few plugs in them, and one had a can of
fixaflat sloshing around. that caused a nice high speed wobbling due to
being VERY imbalanced. so i finally sprung for new tires, and it rides
better than new.
Old November 28th 04, 12:56 AM
SoCalMike

Old November 28th 04, 12:57 AM
SoCalMike

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> and cold. The Nokians have that edge.

and they make good cellphones!
Old November 28th 04, 12:57 AM
SoCalMike

Old November 28th 04, 05:47 AM
Bob Kaplow

In article <Bu8qd.155022$HA.46410@attbi_s01>, SoCalMike > writes:
> Bob Kaplow wrote:
>
>> I just went to change the center high brake light on my 2001 Odyssey LX. I
>> unbolted the assembly per the instructions, twisted the connector, and then
>> the old bulb wouldn't fit through the opening in the assembly! How are you
>> supposed to get these things out, or get the new ones in?

> is there a way through the front? or no?

No. The assembly is held in by one screw. Remove it and slide it out to the
right and you're left with an assembly in your hand. On the right side is a
twist lock socket similar to the rest of the tail lights. Except you can't
get the bulb out of the thing because the hole is too small.

>> And while I'm asking, any one got a recommendation for better tires than
>> what the car came with (#!%*@ Firestones that aren't M+S rated! 215/65R16).
>> The car has about 45K miles, and the tires aren't any where near worn out,
>> but they have NEVER had decent traction in snow or ice.

> because theyre so damn hard. which is why they dont wear out. i replaced
> the OEM FR680s on my 98 civic earlier this year. probably about half

I replaced the tires on my Civic HX CVT a year ago with Michelins that do
*MUCH* better in winter driving. Not only are the originals hard, but the
tread pattern is *NOT* suitable for snow and ice, and only marginally for
rain. It was my intention to trade them in off both cars when new, except
right at the time I bought the cars, Firestone resale value went to zero.
Not that it was ever really anything else.

Old November 28th 04, 05:47 AM
Bob Kaplow

Old November 29th 04, 01:35 AM
SoCalMike

Bob Kaplow wrote:
> It seems like everyone forgets that Honda still makes the HX CVT. The car
> was only 3 years old when I replaced the tires. It's now just over 4 years
> old. IMHO it's a crime that Honda doesn't advertize and promote this car
> more. I bought it because they hybrids weren't quite financially practical
> yet, I wasn't willing to go with a diesel or manual trans, and the CVT had
> the best automatic gasoline mileage available at the time. One test drive
> and I fell in love with its response. The CVT should be made available on

ford is going that route.

> more models. The one thing that constantly frustrates me is not having a
> hatchback, which is what I've had for a small car since my 1978 'burns more
> oil than gas' VW Rabbit.

thats one reason im keeping my 98 hatch. the scions are tempting, but im
going to wait til the honda jazz comes out in '05.
Old November 29th 04, 01:35 AM
SoCalMike