Considering a used BMW 530i V6

Old July 11th 08, 07:25 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John Carrier

Default Considering a used BMW 530i V6

"Alan B. Mac Farlane" > wrote in message
>I have a 2000 528i that I purchased for the new technology ... it is the
> beta version ... the first one off the assembly line.

Not really. 2000 was the last year of 528i production. In 2001 BMW
introduced the 530i with more displacement and somewhat different technology
for the valve gear.

The 528i started rolling off the assembly line in 1996 (it was a 97 model in
the US). "Beta" version of a car? Well, that's an inventive description.
Actually, there are a number of test mules that do (literally) millions of
miles before the first production car. Yours would not be one of these.
Given it's 2008 and the E39s successor is getting old in the tooth, I
wouldn't call it new technology.

> Great car, great gas mileage ... 8 years old and 178K on it ... small
> repair
> list on the internet BMW history.

True, true. Fairly high mileage for a 2000.

> Today ... I am having Computer Gremlin problems ...
>
> First idea is a wire loom problem, like maybe a mechanic somehow got in
> there with a screwdriver and screwed it up.
>
> Second idea is the ignition turn key is wearing out to give me a fault
> pattern that is mysterious in how it breaks the fuel pump, security
> system,
> stereo system ... and then fixes them the same way.
>
> Repeated ignition turns makes them re-boot the car computer, and the right
> tail light show fault on the dashboard, no problem. Next ignition turn
> the
> dash light is fine, but the rear light turn signal is out (flashes twice
> as
> fast) ... fix the bulb by moving the contacts. There is no more problems.
>
> Still waiting for permanent failure to fix what is broken ... as
> electrical
> faults that come and go are not fix able usually.
>
> Other then that ... great car ... good technology for the highway.
>
> Getting a ZAP car and going electric for in town.

You might try cleaning the contacts of the tail light socket, insure there's
no corrosion. I'd also check the battery charge and charging system,
sometimes low voltage will lead to curious and non-repeatable problems with
the various electronics in the car.

R / John

Old July 11th 08, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Alan B. Mac Farlane > wrote:
> I have a 2000 528i that I purchased for the new technology ... it is the
> beta version ... the first one off the assembly line.

What do you mean? My 528 is '97.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old July 13th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
tww1491

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> There's no such thing as a BMW 530i V6.
>
> It's an inline six, and it's a wonderful car.
>
> Your particular specimen has been clocking miles at the rate or 22,250 per
> year. This is a bit on the high side by all measures.
>
> I'd consider a different specimen.

That is the 530iH which has a Honda V6.

> "Alan B. Mac Farlane" > wrote in message
>>I have a 2000 528i that I purchased for the new technology ... it is the
>> beta version ... the first one off the assembly line.
>>
>> Great car, great gas mileage ... 8 years old and 178K on it ... small
>> repair
>> list on the internet BMW history.
>>
>> Today ... I am having Computer Gremlin problems ...
>>
>> First idea is a wire loom problem, like maybe a mechanic somehow got in
>> there with a screwdriver and screwed it up.
>>
>> Second idea is the ignition turn key is wearing out to give me a fault
>> pattern that is mysterious in how it breaks the fuel pump, security
>> system,
>> stereo system ... and then fixes them the same way.
>>
>> Repeated ignition turns makes them re-boot the car computer, and the
>> right
>> tail light show fault on the dashboard, no problem. Next ignition turn
>> the
>> dash light is fine, but the rear light turn signal is out (flashes twice
>> as
>> fast) ... fix the bulb by moving the contacts. There is no more
>> problems.
>>
>> Still waiting for permanent failure to fix what is broken ... as
>> electrical
>> faults that come and go are not fix able usually.
>>
>> Other then that ... great car ... good technology for the highway.
>>
>> Getting a ZAP car and going electric for in town.
>>
>> sumbuddie wear blind sea
>>

>> in article ,
>> IceMan
>> at wrote on 7/5/08 3:13 PM:
>>
>>> I'm researching the used BMW market for a 530i V6 and considering
>>> extended
>>> warranty. Any model years I should consider and any known problems with
>>> this

Old July 13th 08, 08:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:20:06 -0400, "tww1491" > wrote:

>"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> There's no such thing as a BMW 530i V6.
>>
>> It's an inline six, and it's a wonderful car.
>>
>> Your particular specimen has been clocking miles at the rate or 22,250 per
>> year. This is a bit on the high side by all measures.
>>
>> I'd consider a different specimen.
>>

>That is the 530iH which has a Honda V6.

That actually might not be *such* a bad idea...
--
Dan.
Old July 15th 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

"tww1491" > wrote in message

> "Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
>> There's no such thing as a BMW 530i V6.
>>
>> It's an inline six, and it's a wonderful car.
>>
>> Your particular specimen has been clocking miles at the rate or 22,250
>> per year. This is a bit on the high side by all measures.
>>
>> I'd consider a different specimen.
>>

> That is the 530iH which has a Honda V6.

Never heard of such a thing. Please tell me more.

It is still a high mileage car though, and you can't get around that.

Old July 24th 08, 02:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Default Considering a used BMW 530i V6 ... A bit on 6 cylinder engines

Tom K. > wrote:

>The Hispano-Suiza J-12 model was powered by a V-12 and unlike the ones you
>mention, Hispano's aircraft 12 cylinder motors were also in a V
>configuration.
>
>Maybe you were thinking of the current Wartsila-Sulzer?
>
>http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

I wasn't, but that is kind of cool. The marine guys are all into very
big inline engines because after all they have the room for it. I have
seen some big ones, but not anywhere NEAR that big.
--scott

BMW E60 530i R. de Jong BMW 0 March 2nd 06 10:19 PM
530i Resonance Steve Cooper BMW 3 October 22nd 05 10:58 PM
US BMW Traffic Pro in 530i? Larus BMW 0 October 16th 05 04:56 PM
94 530i For Sale Conte Ng BMW 0 October 5th 05 03:07 AM
New M3 or 530i. S.A. BMW 6 September 5th 05 10:36 PM