Hmmmm?

Old November 5th 04, 11:16 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
> My CLK instructions tell me to keep the spare at higher pressure. Same
> on old 190E and I seem to remember this from every previous Merc.

> I wonder how many of us regularly check the spare tyre pressure... it's
> such a drag...

My dealer on one occasion stuck a label on the spare stating the pressure
(higher than normal as it should be) and the date checked at service time.
I'd have been even more impressed if they'd adjusted the handbrake so it
actually worked as instructed in writing, though.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 6th 04, 12:03 AM
tech27

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Dori A Schmetterling > wrote:
>> My CLK instructions tell me to keep the spare at higher pressure. Same
>> on old 190E and I seem to remember this from every previous Merc.

>> I wonder how many of us regularly check the spare tyre pressure... it's
>> such a drag...

I only WISH I had a spare to check. About a month ago I had a tire failure
that the M-Mobility kit couldn't fix (large tear-not a simple puncture), so
I was stuck in Smallville and no one had anything that would fit.

I have since found a tire/rim package from Tirerack (relatively cheap at
just over $300), that I can use on either the front or rear of my M5. It'll
be going with me on any trips off the Bmwpath.

---

Old November 6th 04, 02:58 PM
Ramone Cila

"Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
> My CLK instructions tell me to keep the spare at higher pressure. Same on
> old 190E and I seem to remember this from every previous Merc.
>
> I wonder how many of us regularly check the spare tyre pressure... it's

such
> a drag...

Ya know, this makes me wonder how the tire pressure monitors work. Is it a
remote sensor that tells us our tires are low or is there a connected
wire/tube/sensor that let's us know?

I have always taken these things for granted but now wonder how they
actually connect to each tire in order to monitor the pressure.

Old November 6th 04, 10:36 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Very nasty. How did you manage to do that? At what speed?

DAS
---

"tech27" > wrote in message
. verio.net...
[...]

Old November 7th 04, 12:21 AM
Jim Levie

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 07:58:07 -0700, Ramone Cila wrote:

> "Dori A Schmetterling" > wrote in message
>> My CLK instructions tell me to keep the spare at higher pressure. Same
>> on old 190E and I seem to remember this from every previous Merc.
>>
>> I wonder how many of us regularly check the spare tyre pressure... it's

> such
>> a drag...

> Ya know, this makes me wonder how the tire pressure monitors work. Is it a
> remote sensor that tells us our tires are low or is there a connected
> wire/tube/sensor that let's us know?

I belive the usual method is to compare tire speeds. A low tire will be
effectively smaller in diameter and thus rotating faster.

While not exactly accurate, as compared to direct pressure measurement, it
is far simpler to implement needing only a speed sensor at each wheel.
Since most high end cars already have the speed sensors at each wheel for
stability control, the low tire warning is just a bit more code.

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old November 7th 04, 12:38 AM
Dan Drake

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:21:33 -0600, Jim Levie >
wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 07:58:07 -0700, Ramone Cila wrote:
>
>> Ya know, this makes me wonder how the tire pressure monitors work. Is it a
>> remote sensor that tells us our tires are low or is there a connected
>> wire/tube/sensor that let's us know?
>>

>I belive the usual method is to compare tire speeds. A low tire will be
>effectively smaller in diameter and thus rotating faster.
>
>While not exactly accurate, as compared to direct pressure measurement, it
>is far simpler to implement needing only a speed sensor at each wheel.
>Since most high end cars already have the speed sensors at each wheel for
>stability control, the low tire warning is just a bit more code.

Yep. That's why it can't tell you that all of them are getting low at
the same time. It also needs time to be sure that one tire/wheel is
*really* out of whack, which is why it doesn't tell you that you just
had a blowout - like you needed something on the dash to tell you
*that* - oh, hold on - I guess some people actually *could* find that
useful.

There are other systems out there that use RF transmissions from a
sensor inside the wheel to an OBC to give actual tire pressure.
--
Dan Drake